2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
Give me a strong, solid, well spoken high work rate hooker with a strong passing game and just enough speed around the ruck to keep the markers honest or engaged any day of the week.
"well spoken"???
n saying that if the interchange goes down to six (which i hope it doesn't and i doubt it will) the pressure to have an 80min high work rate player increases.
Surely a reduction in interchange means more fatigue so a player gifted in attacking instincts becomes doubly valuable.

I "d sum up Fainu "s strengths as deft footwork and deceptively quick and ability to beat defenders . Strong enough to hold his own in the the ruck defensively . When he scored that vital try in that comeback win against the Bunnies last season at Brookie , showed that he had some above average talent . Maybe would have expected to be at least an 60 minute player this season [. but fate has intervened now unfortunately ] . Levi also has good speed and some valuable experience now and behind an imposing [ Manly ] forward pack should go well [that is if he is definitely on the move to Manly .

Fainu "s strengths
I think another of Fainu's strengths is his intuition. He is a natural footy player and seems to always take the right option in attack. (He doesn't overplay, but occasionally may underplay.) I also like his ability to scoop up the ball one handed at dummy half whilst in motion - puts the team on the front foot.

Edited

Last edited:
Not sure he's coming across as super keen/ appreciative here... "don't want to leave but gotta do what you gotta do" isn't a glowing endorsement of someone who wants to be here?
Don't forget that this story is written by a Newcastle journo for consumption by Newcastle fans. Of course he's not going to slag off the locals.
If/when he signs with Manly you can expect a different set of cliches, ie:
  • "Manly's a strong club with a rich history"
  • "I've always admired the way Manly plays attractive attacking football."
  • I've always wanted to play under Des Hasler"
  • This is a chance to resurrect my NRL career"
  • "Manly has a very strong squad so I'll need to be at my best to crack a spot in the top 17."
  • "I'm grateful to Manly for giving me this opportunity"
  • "I enjoy surfing so living close to the beach is ideal"
.... I could write the announcement now such is the way PR spin works.

Don't forget that this story is written by a Newcastle journo for consumption by Newcastle fans. Of course he's not going to slag off the locals.
  • "Manly has a very strong squad so I'll need to be at my best to crack a spot in the top 17."
Mate I will hire you as my PR advisory the next time I make a career move!

You forgot “It will be a refreshing change to play for a club whose history is not defined by performance enhancing and recreational drugs”.

That is so spot on it’s scary. Regardless of your 40 years experience.@:)

There's an article where both Danny (quoted), and the club confirm a contracts been signed. Sec, I'll try and find it:

NRL | Hooker Danny Levi is on the verge of quitting the Knights to join Manly
  • BARRY TOOHEY

View attachment 13407

Leaving: Unwanted Knights hooker Danny Levi is on the verge of quitting the club to join rival club Manly. Picture: Max Mason-Hubbers.

Unwanted Knights hooker Danny Levi admits the downside of a move to Manly to resurrect his NRL career will be leaving Newcastle and a host of close teammates behind.
The former Kiwi international is on the verge of linking with the Eagles immediately despite having a year to run at the Knights with a deal almost certain to be finalised within the next day or two.

"I don't want to jump the gun after what happened last time [with a deal at Parramatta falling over at the 11th hour] but hopefully, I'll get a call from my manager today or tomorrow and it will be done," Levi told the Newcastle Herald on Wednesday.
"It's all happened pretty quick. I only found out about it on Sunday night and pretty much it's all happening now so it's all good."

The Knights aren't commenting on Levi's pending move until it's finalised but it's understood a release was requested on Monday pending settlement of the deal with the Eagles.
The Knights have made it clear they would not stand in the way of the 24-year-old hooker going elsewhere after signing Jayden Brailey from Cronulla as their number one hooker during last season.
Brailey is regarded as an 80 minute player but the club also has utility Connor Watson as a hooking back-up along with the emerging Luke Huth.
Levi faced the prospect of playing a season in NSW Cup if he remained at the Knights.

He knew the writing was on the wall when Brailey was enticed from the Sharks.
"It was pretty much a sign they were telling me without telling me when they signed him [Brailey] so I just needed to do what I had to do - prove myself somewhere else," he said. "Maybe if I was moving with my family to the heart of Sydney, I wouldn't be too keen but Manly seems a nice area so it's all good.
"I love this place [Newcastle] and all the boys here and that's not going to change but you've got to do what you've got to do."
The Newcastle Herald first touted Levi's links to Manly last October after the club's number one hooker Manase Fainu was stood down under the NRL's no-fault policy following an alleged stabbing of a man at a church dance party in Sydney's west.
Fainu has pleaded not guilty to charges of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm and recklessly causing grievous bodily harm in company.
He is due back in court on February 3 and has been stood down until the case has been fully resolved.
I’m hoping we get Levi. And great to see you back Ryan.

It must be complicated if we are looking at Levi. First of all will NRL allow concession due Fainu situation. What is we sign Levi and Fainu available in March or September? How much does Levi want, what do we we want to pay. What would Newcastle’s contribution?
There are probably so many more things to consider.

Complicated yet simple. We need a hooker with NRL experience as a hooker, and right now we don't have one so signing Levi is almost a no-brainer. All the other issues will be worked out, though yes, they are complicated, and there may yet be repercussions for other squad members.

What is we sign Levi and Fainu available in March or September? How much does Levi want, what do we we want to pay. What would Newcastle’s contribution?
There are probably so many more things to consider.
Highly doubt Fainu will be available in March. Even if he's legally free to play, the chances of him being fit after his shoulder issues, let alone mentally, are pretty slim. As for September, that's a season away.
Meanwhile signing an experienced hooker in Levi could define our season.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4