2020 hooker (and Fainu disc.)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cust or Croker for hooker 2020 if Nas is out

• Cust

Votes: 47 32.4%
  • Crocker

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Zach Dockar-Clay

• Fainu

• Levi

Votes: 50 34.5%

• Total voters
Sadly it doesn't matter if Fainu is found "not guilty" his 2020 season is over. If it goes to the District Court he won't get a trial date until after seasons end. At least we have time to develop a plan to find a replacement which probably will come from within. Sadly we will be playing below the CAP again. What is problematic is the inept system the NRL have for dealing with a club's salary cap when this happens because the club and fans are in fact punished for the players off field behavior. Another example of a poorly thought out reactive response by the NRL. Why damage a club's prospects which ultimately turns the fans and potential sponsors away. bearing in mind the objective of the no fault system is to protect the brand. It only makes sense to limit collateral damage to the brand where possible. Additionally the club's failure is attributed to the incident which continues to get press which is bad press for the game itself. My view is the club should be entitled to obtain full dispensation for his contract next year on the cap allowing them to sign a replacement for the season otherwise we have the stupidity that occurred at St George last year. Its the off season the NRL have plenty of time to sort this out properly. The NRL should ensure before registering a player contract that it contains terms that protect the NRL brand that permits the club to suspend their obligations under the contract and or terminate the contract immediately upon a player being subject of a no fault ban and if the contract is suspended or terminated then that portion of the CAP should n become immediately available to the club. There is no double dipping here and we ensure that clubs continue to be able to compete with all of their salary cap available to them. They should have done that with De Belin.
I agree, partial dispensation is useless. The dragons were given $239,000 in salary cap relief for De Belin, way below his actual salary and no chance of signing like for like.

The problem with 99% of Australians is that they believe the opposite of "innocent until proven guilty", which is reflected every time a person is charged. The overwhelming consensus is that if the Police charged him/her then they must be guilty.
This is not the case.
They are many instances of matters never proceeding to a hearing and if they do then charges being dismissed. Why, we've had two of our players in this very position, Snake and Walker.
From what I'm reading of the Fainu matter it is a case of mistaken identity. I'm of the belief that the Police went for the most high-profile target and on further investigation the charges against Fainu will be dropped.
Let's stop presuming the worst. And when cleared I hope that Fainu launches a suit against the Police for unlawful arrest and the unfair damage to his reputation.

If he's cleared and he's back in the squad at some point, the Blacktown commute needs to end and he needs to move here. Not that that's a perfect solution but he would do well to disassociate from the dickheads*.

*I acknowledge that upon considering his past misdeeds, he may well be one of the aforementioned dickheads, but if he disassociates and splits from himself it could create a bigger Schrödinger's cat type problem...

Last edited:
I agree with giving one of our young blokes a go. It's up to the team leaders, Dessie and co., to build up his confidence and teach him positional play. While it's very sad that it appears a potentially great career is at least on hold, at worst over. But an opportunity has arisen for another young player.
All club staff need to be involved in mentoring these young players. For some they don't have an adult brain until about 25 years - please research this if you think this is BS, it's scientifically true.
Poor decision making and risk taking behaviours are notorious in this age group.

I agree with giving one of our young blokes a go. It's up to the team leaders, Dessie and co., to build up his confidence and teach him positional play. While it's very sad that it appears a potentially great career is at least on hold, at worst over. But an opportunity has arisen for another young player.
All club staff need to be involved in mentoring these young players. For some they don't have an adult brain until about 25 years - please research this if you think this is BS, it's scientifically true.
Poor decision making and risk taking behaviours are notorious in this age group.
It’s the cerebral frontal cortex that is underdeveloped in young men and teenage girls

Think that Des certainly tried or encouraged Manase and the other West based lads to move to the [ or much closer ] to the Northern Beaches training area at the start of this year but their preference was to stay at their family bases . Croker and Cust have still not be re signed to the best of my knowledge [ not even sure if Cust has even previously played as a 9 , Croker certainly has not ] so they were hardly viable options in recent times .[ even as a back up to Fainu ] I am sure that all potential options are being considered at the moment , the only consolation is that the 2020 pre season preparation has not commenced yet . It is what it is , an unhelpful setback and unwanted distraction . . Still the making of a very competitive playing group for next season and just have to accept that a very promising player will most likely not be available now and a capable replacement will appear on the scene after due consideration instead .

I think the “in company” charge is a back up in case the main charge can’t be proved. If they can’t get him for the stabbing he will be convicted for being there in the action when someone was stabbed.

I would be targeting Harry Grant from the Storm to come on up to the Eagles....behind the 2 Smiths and very talented,wanting game time.However would want to give Fainu benefit of the doubt for a while.
absolutely he deserves the presumption of innocence but the problem for him and us is how long it will take to be decided.

A question to the legally minded on here; Charges laid are;

Fainu was today charged with the offences of wound person with intent to cause grievous bodily harm, affray and reckless grievous bodily harm in company and has been denied bail

What does the 3rd charge mean (particularly in company) and how does it differ from affray?
In company means more than one person involved in the offence, whether actively or at least present and ready to help if needed. Affray does not require proving any particular injury

absolutely he deserves the presumption of innocence but the problem for him and us is how long it will take to be decided.

In company means more than one person involved in the offence, whether actively or at least present and ready to help if needed. Affray does not require proving any particular injury
You think they are throwing the big charges in hoping he will plead down to affray?

My view is the club should be entitled to obtain full dispensation for his contract next year on the cap allowing them to sign a replacement for the season
Problem being it may be months before anyone knows how long the case will take. So, the NRL won't give dispensation for the whole year, for example, if the case may possibly end up resolving in local court by May with a finding of not guilty (not saying this is likely, just an example of what conceivably could happen)

You think they are throwing the big charges in hoping he will plead down to affray?
No, it's a separate offence, although police routinely over-charging is a thing. There are far too many variables in a case like this to speculate. We'll all have to wait patiently to see how this unfolds (unfortunately).

Seems like they are having a bet each way?

If he's cleared and he's back in the squad at some point, the Blacktown commute needs to end and he needs to move here. Not that that's a perfect solution but he would do well to disassociate from the dickheads*.

*I acknowledge that upon considering his past misdeeds, he may well be one of the aforementioned dickheads, but if he disassociates and splits from himself it could create a bigger Schrödinger's cat type problem...
Yep definately no dickheads on the northern beaches lol

Last edited:

Can one person be charged with Affray?

Surely if they make that stick there would have to be others charged also?

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6