2020 Finals discussion thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
There was no potential for a try scoring situation. The video ref confirmed that in the commentary and cleared it. It’s a professional foul (debatable), so only deserved a penalty at best. The 10 minutes in the bin wasn’t warranted.
Mate he changed direction from left to right 100% & yes it was a professional foul whether a try scoring situation or not! Cast your mind back to 2019 when Jake was sin binned for barely touching the South’s player even though it wasn’t a try scoring situation. Professional fouls are not adjudicated just in try scoring situations mostly coz they always occur in the defending teams 10 metre zones & defending players hold on too long or ‘block’ attacking players.

Anyone else think that both of Ivan Cleary's coaching perfomances in the 2011 and 2020 GF have a bit of a whiff of Brian Smith about them?

Can get a team to a GF, however just lacks that bit extra to actually get his team to perform well on the day.

Last night had a bit of 2001 about it. The best team all year, losing only 1 game and then find themselves down 22-0 at half time and just no answers.

Mate he changed direction from left to right 100% & yes it was a professional foul whether a try scoring situation or not! Cast your mind back to 2019 when Jake was sin binned for barely touching the South’s player even though it wasn’t a try scoring situation. Professional fouls are not adjudicated just in try scoring situations mostly coz they always occur in the defending teams 10 metre zones & defending players hold on too long or ‘block’ attacking players.

You’ve got it all wrong.

Jakes sin binning was a try scoring opportunity for Souths though. The ref deemed he took out a support player that could have scored a try.

The only time they bin a defender is if they’re certain the attacker would have scored a try, or come close to scoring a try.

Kikau wasn’t close to scoring a try, he was just impeded.

Think of it this way, when a team puts a bomb up and a player gets impeded, do they send the defender to the bin? No, they simply blow a penalty and move on.

You’ve got it all wrong.

Jakes sin binning was a try scoring opportunity for Souths though. The ref deemed he took out a support player that could have scored a try.

The only time they bin a defender is if they’re certain the attacker would have scored a try, or come close to scoring a try.

Kikau wasn’t close to scoring a try, he was just impeded.

Think of it this way, when a team puts a bomb up and a player gets impeded, do they send the defender to the bin? No, they simply blow a penalty and move on.
Sorry mate I have it right as per the rule book....If it was a try scoring situation in Jakes case why was it not a penalty try??

The Jake one isn’t a good comparison, it was two blokes running with a bit of jostle. Pretty much happens every game for 100 years with no penalty.

Sorry mate I have it right as per the rule book....If it was a try scoring situation in Jakes case why was it not a penalty try??

Because you can’t say for certain Souths would have scored a try. The Souths player could have dropped the ball. The opportunity was taken away from them though hence the sin bin.

The only thing Kikau could have done was tackle Papenhuyzen in goal. There was no opportunity for Kikau to score a try.

The only thing Kikau could have done was tackle Papenhuyzen in goal. There was no opportunity for Kikau to score a try.
It’s drawing a long bow but if Kikau doesn’t get impeded the pressure could’ve caused the Pap to “do a Guffo” and spill his lollies - yes, very highly unlikely but then who would think Guffo would gift Souffs a try like he did?
I’m with you, I think it’s a tough call getting 10 in the bin for that, it’s the same penalty as serious foul play, it doesn’t make sense.
Just don’t like the stock standard Penalty Try or 10 in the bin - but when there’s different interpretations between refs and games it probably needs to be.

IN the least shocking bit of news I've read.

Smith was cleared of any wrong-doing after saying to sutton that he's managing the game for an exciting finish.

I'm not sure I've seen any player so untouchable by the refs/media/jokes who run the game than this cheat.

I just don't get it.

Anyway...

“The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate,” Smith said before Sutton gave Hughes his marching orders.
“I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them. Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish.”

Smith was cleared of any wrongdoing .....

No other player could tell the ref to stop doing something and have the ref stand there like a stunned doofus (even if he was currently marching some storm git for 10 mins)

Smith was cleared of any wrong-doing after saying to sutton that he's managing the game for an exciting finish.

I'm not sure I've seen any player so untouchable by the refs/media/jokes who run the game than this cheat.

I just don't get it.

Anyway...

“The last three or four penalties they have got is little very picky stuff and we have got nothing mate,” Smith said before Sutton gave Hughes his marching orders.
“I get it, everyone wants an exciting finish. But we are just the same as them. Stop trying to pick little things out of our game to make an exciting finish.”

No other player could tell the ref to stop doing something and have the ref stand there like a stunned doofus (even if he was currently marching some storm git for 10 mins)
Agreed. But at least he expressed his opinion to the ref more eloquently than that bloke who recently left to play for the Worriers.

Agreed. But at least he expressed his opinion to the ref more eloquently than that bloke who recently left to play for the Worriers.

I've moved my post to the correct thread (what was I thinking).

I agree with you - but just because you call a ref a cheat nicely, doesn't mean he should come over all a-flutter and not nail him for it Tallis style.

I just don't get it.

Anyway...

A disgrace , surely as Pocket Ref he knows better, back to a reserve grade fixture for round 1 Mr Smith.

I've moved my post to the correct thread (what was I thinking).

I agree with you - but just because you call a ref a cheat nicely, doesn't mean he should come over all a-flutter and not nail him for it Tallis style.
I was merely trying to make a point that Scam's debating skills are more finely honed than that brute we care not mention.

I was merely trying to make a point that Scam's debating skills are more finely honed than that brute we care not mention.

Undoubtedly Scam used much nicer words BUT the inference that Sutton was a cheating **** ( and I agree he is ) was most definitely there!!

But we all know if it was any other captain he’d be “ bringing the game into disrepute “, but the “ great one” can do almost anything he wishes.

Maybe we should introduce a “ wheel of fortune “ every time there’s a try they spin it and where ever it lands is the result , bingo “ penalty try” , bingo “ penalty to the defensive side “ , may as well and would cost HEAPS LESS.
I'm all for this if there is one wedge in the wheel that states "send NYEagle 1000 bucks + respin"

NYEagle

Looks like @Mark from Brisbane has finally got in contact with Eugenie - good job old fella
05E800FC-A382-41DA-A351-4B2D5E01C09C.jpeg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4