2018 recruitment strategy backfires

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
So what did Gorman and crew say when you all raised these points at the fan forum?

*crickets*
Ah I get it. The Aussie test team is finding form. We're signing cricket players. The fast bowlers will come in handy with Manly bashing journalists.:p

It's hard to fault our recruitment team over the last few years (except for Myles/Brown). But the decision to wait until well into the off-season has backfired.

1. We missed Pearce and Moylan.
2. Green left before a suitable replacement was found.
3. We have not signed a goal-kicker.
4. We are still short a prop and edge back-rower.
5. Brown and Lussick should have been moved on.
6. We have no experienced NRL signings.
7. Several others teams look stronger in 2018.

Of course, a big-name signing or two could blow my comment out the water.

But the strategy that worked so well for us in 2016 and 2017 (playing the waiting game and snaring big names in surprise out-of-season moves) is high risk.

Hopefully we recruit much earlier in 2018, for 2019.

Can you please provide evidence for your assertion that our strategy was to wait well into the off season. Barrett said at the end of last season that our team would look very similar to last year. This would indicate that they are happy with most of the roster and that it has never been a plan to be big players in the recruitment game.

The 3 players that we have been linked to were never "on" the market as such as they were all contracted for '18 ... their availability was unplanned and therefore our interest was opportunist rather than any part of a recruitment strategy.

Just because you are unhappy with some of our players doesn't mean that our coaching staff are.

Moylan was never on the market or available ... we didn't miss him.

Pearce wanted more than we were prepared to pay ... we didn't miss him.

What it has shown though is that we do have some money, and that if a player that Baz wants does become available we are in with a shot.

Season 2017 was just not a year where there were a good range of quality players on the market and even in the Moylan , Pearce and Thompson instances , again they were not initially free agents and of course had existing contracts . Still can not see how the 250 grand transfer fee the Panthers imposed with Moylan was legit .and just continued silence from the N R L . Maybe Moylan and Pearce could have taken Manly to a slightly higher level but would also have resulted in some future salary cap restraints . Even with Thompson at a reported 6oo grand , seemed a bit on the high side . The recruiting team seems to have still been pro active but realistic , so really should not be judged too unfavorably for this , there might even be slightly more then this assumed 850 grand cap funds for future acquisitions .

Just out of interest has anyone else heard that Brad Parker is being considered as a backrower? Given time, I feel he could be very successful in that role and we may just have the solution to one of our problems right in our own backyard.
From my recollection ,Brad Parker played some or quite a bit of his junior grades as a back rower . Agree a very handy player to have in Sea Eagles ranks in future seasons with this versatility and his natural ability . Would have liked to have seen him stride out in that late season match against the Tigers and when he was called back with a forward pass , He seems to have genuine pace but hasn"t really had the opportunity to show this in first grade yet.

I think what backfired was Green asking for more cash/extension.. Things went sour quickly after Green/manager put pressure for a release / extension. Green was never in the plan to be with us for more than 2 years.. Otherwise we would have offered him a longer contract.

Can you please provide evidence for your assertion that our strategy was to wait well into the off season. Barrett said at the end of last season that our team would look very similar to last year. This would indicate that they are happy with most of the roster and that it has never been a plan to be big players in the recruitment game.

The 3 players that we have been linked to were never "on" the market as such as they were all contracted for '18 ... their availability was unplanned and therefore our interest was opportunist rather than any part of a recruitment strategy.

Just because you are unhappy with some of our players doesn't mean that our coaching staff are.

Moylan was never on the market or available ... we didn't miss him.

Pearce wanted more than we were prepared to pay ... we didn't miss him.

What it has shown though is that we do have some money, and that if a player that Baz wants does become available we are in with a shot.

Zorba said in the interview that 'Manly was playing the waiting game on recruitment" as some big-name moves (Cronk) forced a shuffling of rosters across clubs.

Zorba said in the interview that 'Manly was playing the waiting game on recruitment" as some big-name moves (Cronk) forced a shuffling of rosters across clubs.

He also said I would one day play first grade and that a big signing would be announced next week (@Mark from Brisbane ) is still waiting for it.

I don't think we can take Zorba as an official spokesman for our recruitment policy.

If there are no big players you must have .... it only makes sense to wait and see.

He also said I would one day play first grade and that a big signing would be announced next week (@Mark from Brisbane ) is still waiting for it.

I don't think we can take Zorba as an official spokesman for our recruitment policy.

If there are no big players you must have .... it only makes sense to wait and see.

Obviously not, a massive fail for ZtH in my opinion, foot in mouth comes to mind!

Or, he’s been right all along and there’s still a surprise?

I’ll put out a hypothetical theory.I wonder if the on going salary cap investigation has anything to do with the lack of big spending this offseason.The NRL may have found something and instead of a major fine and loss of points,they’ve capped Manly’s offseason spending,similar to European soccer clubs being banned from transfer windows for a period of time.Just a suggestion

No disrespect to Green who was solid - but not the 5/8 to make Manly a serious threat - this will allow a younger player to step up and be part of a rising team, who will return to the very top.
Surely this is a great incentive - and just maybe the fire under the bum of Hastings, to bring out his best.

I’ll put out a hypothetical theory.I wonder if the on going salary cap investigation has anything to do with the lack of big spending this offseason.The NRL may have found something and instead of a major fine and loss of points,they’ve capped Manly’s offseason spending,similar to European soccer clubs being banned from transfer windows for a period of time.Just a suggestion

Interesting but I reckon nah.

If the nrl found something.. they wouldn't be able to wait before crowing it from the rooftops. Todd's smugness would go into hyperdrive.

Also 'reports' were like we had almost 850k for Pearce so that's some fair coin, plus Manly were chasing Pearce so there wasn't any restriction in place.

My one cent. :)

Ah I get it. The Aussie test team is finding form. We're signing cricket players. The fast bowlers will come in handy with Manly bashing journalists.:p

No, that's no what I meant at all.

Sheesh...you breeze in here casting aspersions then run off and hide back in wherever queensland place you live (for the record, I am going to say either Thangool or Julia creek) without any thought about the posters you leave behind to clean up your mess.

Life isn't all about hotdogs and ice cream... it's about how hard you can get hit and keep going forward! (thanks rocky).

We've got to take one post at a time, without looking forward to the finals. No one here is speaking finals.

Goooooal!

One banana two banana three banana four....
Four bananas make a bunch and so do many more....

tra la la...

Cat weazel was under rated dont cha think?

O Canada!
Terre de nos aïeux,
Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux.

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,
Il sait porter la croix.

Ton histoire est une épopée,
Des plus brillants exploits.
Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

Here's a puppy

4-cute-puppies.jpg

Our offer to Pearce suggests not

Also if our recruitment strategy is bad, what is the Storms like? They lost Tohu Harris, Jordan Maclean and Cronk and brought in who? Sam Kasiano?

If we won the GF like they did I don't think anybody would be asking questions about recruitment we didn't and most people are struggling to see any improvement in our squad.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8