2018 recruitment strategy backfires

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Reserve Grader
It's hard to fault our recruitment team over the last few years (except for Myles/Brown). But the decision to wait until well into the off-season has backfired.

1. We missed Pearce and Moylan.
2. Green left before a suitable replacement was found.
3. We have not signed a goal-kicker.
4. We are still short a prop and edge back-rower.
5. Brown and Lussick should have been moved on.
6. We have no experienced NRL signings.
7. Several others teams look stronger in 2018.

Of course, a big-name signing or two could blow my comment out the water.

But the strategy that worked so well for us in 2016 and 2017 (playing the waiting game and snaring big names in surprise out-of-season moves) is high risk.

Hopefully we recruit much earlier in 2018, for 2019.

I dont think it as bad as some are thinking.

Lets look at the current side.

Tommy will only get better, bigger,faster and stronger.
Tufua will be back and hungry
Walker will be better than last year, A Year older and a bit smarter
We have an excellent dilemma with Kelly ( who only gets better) being pushed by Tom Wright ( possible superstar )
Uate should stlii have a decent season or 2 in him.
5/8 is obviously the big bang moment. Personally i think Hastings should be told its yours till you loose it. Give the kid some leadership responsibility and see hoe he goes. Goal kicking sorted.
DCE - go you good thing
Jake T will be massive
Sirro Will be better for the off season and ready to go
Winterstein/(lane on a push) - wasn't that bad last year first shot back from rugby ( this is a position we could spend some coin on)
Tapau should be ready to rock and roll this year
Api - Keeps getting better , joey lussick (fainu should be a good back up)
Sipley, AFB, Perret, Lussick, Penska (we have options)

Some of the palyers listed are a few years away from their best but as a roster its not too shabby.

Dont forget all these 'superstar' players we have apparently missed out on were young guys just like ours once. Lets show some faith....

I remember just before the 2011 season kicked off I was dirty with recruitment. I remember saying who has ever won a comp with a rookie halfback. Its the most important position on the field. We signed who? Some young bloke who has a combination with our 6 from the twenties. Great untried. Untested. No NRL experience. Now we have 2 super young halves. Who bloody runs this **** show. Do some research to find out we just stole this half off Mackay. LOL Yeah like as if the half that can take us to a NRL title is someone who we need to get to turn their back on contract with Mackay.

But wait we have a second option. Our other rookie half played backyard footy with our 6. Ahh older brother. A nevil nobody who is reserve grade all over.

I think I ate humble pie.

Not sure we have anything to worry about. Stay calm and prosper.

We have had a few disappointments but I don't think we have done anything wrong in the approaches we made. Although the days when we always got our man are certainly long gone.

I do think we let Green go too soon though. A few years ago Matai wanted a release to go to the Warriors and we wouldn't let him go. This was a guy who gave his heart and soul to us for a decade (and destroyed his body in the process). Then a journeyman half comes up with a similar kind of offer from the same team, and we say we won't stand in his way.

I suspect releasing him made the Pearce bid easier, but my feeling is we should have strung it out a bit longer and we could have got something out of it, rather than just letting him go for free.

It's hard to fault our recruitment team over the last few years (except for Myles/Brown). But the decision to wait until well into the off-season has backfired.

But the strategy that worked so well for us in 2016 and 2017 (playing the waiting game and snaring big names in surprise out-of-season moves) is high risk.

Answer: Bob Fulton is gone, and our recruitment falls on John Cartwright and Scott Fulton.

Hardly an inspiring pair.

Worries me having Cartwright at the club. We know for a fact he has been positioning himself with his time and energy to leave the club.

He applied for the NSW coaching role, but was immediately cut. Also is positioning to get back to Panthers (and why not) should the **** hit the fan over there.

Given all this makes one wonder? Is his heart truly in the maroon and white? I go back to that vision of him laughing when we were getting steamrolled and Barrett was irate.

Then he has delivered 0 by way of his role in recruitment. Just all really off. Barrett has proven a Manly boy in my mind. Get some Manly blood around him.

I also understand Cartwright supports and recommended Ferris, including the ostrasization of Willie Peters.

Culture is bled from the top, and we are becoming more and more like The Titans were when Cartwright was there with their inability to attract talent, or need to have to pay overs (or dodgily - free rennos for Scott Prince anyone). Thank God Manly aren't dodgy.

Wish he and Ferris would go. Any wonder players pick Newcastle over us? Get money played a huge part as well.

I dont think it as bad as some are thinking.

Lets look at the current side.

Tommy will only get better, bigger,faster and stronger.
Tufua will be back and hungry
Walker will be better than last year, A Year older and a bit smarter
We have an excellent dilemma with Kelly ( who only gets better) being pushed by Tom Wright ( possible superstar )
Uate should stlii have a decent season or 2 in him.
5/8 is obviously the big bang moment. Personally i think Hastings should be told its yours till you loose it. Give the kid some leadership responsibility and see hoe he goes. Goal kicking sorted.
DCE - go you good thing
Jake T will be massive
Sirro Will be better for the off season and ready to go
Winterstein/(lane on a push) - wasn't that bad last year first shot back from rugby ( this is a position we could spend some coin on)
Tapau should be ready to rock and roll this year
Api - Keeps getting better , joey lussick (fainu should be a good back up)
Sipley, AFB, Perret, Lussick, Penska (we have options)

Some of the palyers listed are a few years away from their best but as a roster its not too shabby.

Dont forget all these 'superstar' players we have apparently missed out on were young guys just like ours once. Lets show some faith....
And we have an astute coach who is hiding his time with $850 000 at the ready. Aware that every year players become available that are currently on contract (and usually for less than they are contracted for....not Eels $700 000 less but less all the same) I’m excited!

To be fair on the club, I think two things need to be pointed out. I think the club has made a deliberate decision to keep together the team that served us well last year and allow them to grow as a team, don't forget that over the last 3 years we have seen massive turn over and I think stability is whats being looked after. I also think that this frigging salary cap investigation that is still not finished is hampering the clubs attempts to lure marquee players.

All the gaps in the team you mentioned are valid, five eight, goal kicker, back rower and front rower.

I think the club will blood more young players this year and try and plug those gaps. We are in a similar situation to what we were at the start of the 11 season, DCE and Foran were total rookies and we were given next to no hope to make the finals let alone win the comp.

I think that there will be more signings to come and it is very important to sign the right players that fit the team culture.

I liked the work of Blake Green and he did well for us, the lessons of the 14 and 15 seasons is that you cannot afford to have disgruntled and disinterested players who are just waiting to start their next contract. The club did the right thing in moving him on.

I think that Jackson Hastings will get first shot at five-eighth and he is a competent goal kicker which is needed. Any investment I think that we need is a quality backrower, since Choc, we have struggled to have a forward apart from Jake that makes consistent 100 metres and makes 30 tackles, our ruck was weak at the back end of last year defensively and that is why we need a player like that.

It is a bit premature to judge the recruitment strategy, all I know is this, if the guys play with the same passion as last season, we will be ok!!

1. We missed Pearce and Moylan. Pearce went for money, Moylan was swapped.
2. Green left before a suitable replacement was found. Throwing the old dog a bone, letting him get his pay day. We're nice that way (so he'll probably break down and retire in a week)
3. We have not signed a goal-kicker. True but there is only room at 5/8 and I imagine second row so we need a very specific goal kicker
4. We are still short a prop and edge back-rower. Or we don't and the signings are expected to fill the void there
5. Brown and Lussick should have been moved on. You need a taker who will pay all their salary. Easier said than done
6. We have no experienced NRL signings. We have a bunch of internationals and premiership winners at various positions already
7. Several others teams look stronger in 2018. And the glass is perpetually half empty on here. Our same team playing with more consistency (i.e. less blow out losses, a few calls go the other way etc) makes the top 4 last year.

We are very similar to where the club was in 2006 and bar a few key guys that squad was built on faith in what we had. Yes we need a 5/8 but I highly doubt the merry go round has finished. Worst case we can't spend our remaining cap we can front load some of the contract extensions and carry the space into next year.

Maloneys a dead set w@nker, but atleast he kicks goals... I wonder how many games we will lose by 2 points or less in 2018.... I especially enjoy losing those close games when we score more trys than our opponents and still lose
We have a successful tactic of winning by field goal in golden point. All part of the plan.

1. We missed Pearce and Moylan. Pearce went for money, Moylan was swapped.
2. Green left before a suitable replacement was found. Throwing the old dog a bone, letting him get his pay day. We're nice that way (so he'll probably break down and retire in a week)
3. We have not signed a goal-kicker. True but there is only room at 5/8 and I imagine second row so we need a very specific goal kicker
4. We are still short a prop and edge back-rower. Or we don't and the signings are expected to fill the void there
5. Brown and Lussick should have been moved on. You need a taker who will pay all their salary. Easier said than done
6. We have no experienced NRL signings. We have a bunch of internationals and premiership winners at various positions already
7. Several others teams look stronger in 2018. And the glass is perpetually half empty on here. Our same team playing with more consistency (i.e. less blow out losses, a few calls go the other way etc) makes the top 4 last year.

We are very similar to where the club was in 2006 and bar a few key guys that squad was built on faith in what we had. Yes we need a 5/8 but I highly doubt the merry go round has finished. Worst case we can't spend our remaining cap we can front load some of the contract extensions and carry the space into next year.

So you are hoping for a solid top 8 season next season?

Just out of interest has anyone else heard that Brad Parker is being considered as a backrower? Given time, I feel he could be very successful in that role and we may just have the solution to one of our problems right in our own backyard.

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11
10 4 6 15 10