2008 thoughts

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
Over at LU there is constant banter about Manly will be bottom half of the 8, miss the 8, even run 2nd last because we wont be able to cope with the loss of Monas for next season, there is a great post from Jatz as I have cut n pasted below
I reckon this is spot on , let the other teams and supporters believe this, let us be the sleeper and get under the radar again LOL

Indeed. All this supposition that Manly will slide downhill dramatically because of Monas leaving is really baseless guesswork.

As an example of where people get this topic wrong, is when Kennedy retired we lost
1) an on-field and off-field leader,
2) we lost about 100 metres in attack per game (FROM ONE PLAYER)
3) offloading ability

What we gained through Williamson was a marginal increase in tackle rate from Williamson. Its indisputable that the position of lock went backwards once Kennedy left.

Yet it is also indisputable that the team, as a whole, improved.

Now take the loss of Monas. We have lost his long kicking game. Speedy dummy half scoots. His tenacious attacks close to the line.

But hang on....there is a balancing of the equation. We now have Ballin at hooker who is a much better feeder of the ball to the 1st receiver. His is just as quick as Monas out of dummy half and is a superbly fit 70-80 min player. Its unknown yet as to if he can match the long kicking game and tenacity to make those line breaks that Monas did, but he most certainly does have his positives in comparison.

Anyone writing Manly off because of the loss Monas is looking at it one dimensionally

We won't miss Monnas at all and in fact will be a better team for his loss as Ballin will shine this year.

However we will be ****ed if either Lyon or Orford are injured during the year as we have no backup in the halves.

Props like King, Willo and Bryant don't impress as they are plodders and lack impact.  Manly need a couple of smokeys amongst the younger players to step up and put these guys in PL. 

It is a make or break year for Halfasanga who really needs to step step up this year and show that he if FG material.  Also hopefully the SBW look alike to provide impact off the bench later in the year.

Melbourne showed up on reserve players as being pretty ordinary last week so we cannot afford any long term injuries to the first 17 (except Willo, King and Bryant). 

I watched about 30 minutes of Monaghan today on Fox, every pass he threw either went above or behind the receiver and stifled the entire backline. The commentaters seem to rave on about him.

Hicks on the other hand looked to be in great form.

I'm very much looking forward to Ballin, he will change the dynamic of the side I think, would love to see a proper 5/8 in there too though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7