2008 GF on a lazy Tuesday morning

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

captainskin

Reserve Grader
I was pleasantly surprised to find my 8year old son watching the 2008 grand final with his cousin this morning. :cool:
I heard a game on the TV downstairs, and hearing the name Melbourne mentioned, I went down thinking it was Monday's game between the Storm and the Warriors.
I thought this was perfect for a lazy Tuesday holiday. He got into the game as if he was watching it happen for the very first time. And I think it may have converted his Scotts College Roosters supporting cousin over to the the Sea Eagles as well.
But doesn't today feel like there hasn't been a live Manly game for weeks, and there won't be another game for a few more weeks. Sort of strange...:s

Yeah... saw a guy at the Anzac Day march yesterday.
"Great shirt, mate!" he said.

Of course, I was wearing one of my MWSE shirts.
"There's not many of us around, mate, so I gotta acknowledge everyone I see!" he added.

With that, feeling honoured, I returned to The Manly Room and had a re-watch of some of the highlighted 2008 games.... again!

captainskin said:
I was pleasantly surprised to find my 8year old son watching the 2008 grand final with his cousin this morning. :cool:
I heard a game on the TV downstairs, and hearing the name Melbourne mentioned, I went down thinking it was Monday's game between the Storm and the Warriors.
I thought this was perfect for a lazy Tuesday holiday. He got into the game as if he was watching it happen for the very first time. And I think it may have converted his Scotts College Roosters supporting cousin over to the the Sea Eagles as well.
But doesn't today feel like there hasn't been a live Manly game for weeks, and there won't be another game for a few more weeks. Sort of strange...:s

Yes so wonderful to replay this magic game every now and again - esp after such a disruptive flat last 2 seasons with Brett out of action and everything going on. Last time I watched the 2008 GF I was surprised at how many kicks at goal were missed and remember thinking that Manly would have won by more like 50 to nil if all goals were kicked. Magic stuff!

It also makes me think how fickle us supporters are. So many players were switched on that year and they especially fired-up more for the grand final. When they get injured or don't live up to what they previously have done we are looking for substitutes to replace them.

I enjoyed a fresh viewing last Friday night.

We have this wonderful day for the rest of our lives to view at will.

I feel the same sort of stability and commitment this year that the 2008 team had. While the experience in comparison is lacking, the 2011 team is taking the exact same approach they did in 2008 - just concentrate on completing sets, give everyone a defined role, and chip chip away.

It all centres around players like Matai, Lyons and G Stewart this year. They are the popular blokes in the team who keep the mateship bond together.

Time will tell if it pays off this year.

I hate you all, I had to work yesterday

lismore_fan said:

"There's not many of us around, mate, so I gotta acknowledge everyone I see!" he added.

With that, feeling honoured, I returned to The Manly Room and had a re-watch of some of the highlighted 2008 games.... again!

Saw quite a few of the Manly shirts and hats around the Easter Show yesterday. The best part was I saw Crusher out there and said gday. He was my favourite player as a kid and to see him was unbelievable. He is also looking good. Almost fighting fit. At least I hope it was Crusher and not Les.

I went to Melbourne on Saturday morning after the game on Friday.
We were staying in South Yarra and after coming back from the dawn service at the shrine on Monday we got changed and went for some exercise along the Yarra.
Even though it was early, there were already loads about set up with esky's and food etc for the day and to watch the march.
I was wearing a "no one likes us" T shirt and a fair few people gathered at the BBQ's along the river near the Botanic gardens recognised the slogan and had the banter - Interestingly, there were quite a few "Go Manly!' comments!

Being an Exserving member of the Defence Force and also a Gulf War vet I always march on Anzac Day. I was asked to carry the Banner for Port Kennedy RSL (Rockingham WA) and as we rounded the last turn before the eyes right I saw a gentleman wearing the old "86" model Jersey and a Manly Cap. Went looking for him after the service but couldn't find him.

Was great to see some RL supporters over here in the west.

eagleE said:
lismore_fan said:

Saw quite a few of the Manly shirts and hats around the Easter Show yesterday. The best part was I saw Crusher out there and said gday. He was my favourite player as a kid and to see him was unbelievable. He is also looking good. Almost fighting fit. At least I hope it was Crusher and not Les.

i was at the easter show on good friday (wearing my members hat) & everyone i was with couldn't believe the amount of manly shirts/jerseys/hats on people compared to other teams supporters.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6