1986 MANLY

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
After the disappointment of 1985, we roll into the off season with the promise of new players.
Interesting report of the first Sevens competition and Manly's game against the NOrthern Territory featuring a Bob Fulton cameo.
EPSON126.JPG
EPSON129.JPG
EPSON139.JPG
EPSON145.JPG
EPSON155.JPG
EPSON157.JPG

Whatever happened to Mitchell Cox? I went overseas at the start of 86 and he was in firsts and playing well. By the end of the season he was nowhere to be seen.
I always thought he was a gun at Norths, with his quick acceleration and bootlace tackling style.

An interesting read about Roy Francis, ex coach of North Sydney, I wonder who the player was who had a nympho wife?
An interesting read, Roy may have been gilding the lily regarding his advice to the player's wife, if she took Roy's advice and the player abstained from having sex the day of the game, she may have been seen to by some of his team mates , or perhaps even Roy himself, if she was a nymphomaniac.
I did a bit of checking and I would say that the player concerned, if the story is true, would in all likelihood had to have been an English or Great Britain International, as in those years Norths were very skinny on internationals, they only had a few, Ken Irvine , who was already an established international, George Ambrum, international in 1972, so a possibility, and later on there was Tim Pickup and our own Goldie Walker, however both of these two joined Norths just after Francis left, if it was an Australian, then I would let you draw your own conclusion.

An interesting read, Roy may have been gilding the lily regarding his advice to the player's wife, if she took Roy's advice and the player abstained from having sex the day of the game, she may have been seen to by some of his team mates , or perhaps even Roy himself, if she was a nymphomaniac.
I did a bit of checking and I would say that the player concerned, if the story is true, would in all likelihood had to have been an English or Great Britain International, as in those years Norths were very skinny on internationals, they only had a few, Ken Irvine , who was already an established international, George Ambrum, international in 1972, so a possibility, and later on there was Tim Pickup and our own Goldie Walker, however both of these two joined Norths just after Francis left, if it was an Australian, then I would let you draw your own conclusion.
I had it at George Ambrum but didn't consider any overseas internationals.

Whatever happened to Mitchell Cox? I went overseas at the start of 86 and he was in firsts and playing well. By the end of the season he was nowhere to be seen.
I always thought he was a gun at Norths, with his quick acceleration and bootlace tackling style.
He did well in games I saw from memory. Cliffy started at lock, with Des and Cox in the halves. By end of the year Cliffy was 6 and Des was 7. No disrespect to Coxy but he was behind 2 legends. Manly's depth was legendary.

ps he was last seen in a picture this year with Krilich helping to bottling 4 pines at the Brookvale factory.

Wow, you've been away a while mate.

Bozo had Phil Blake on the wing for at least the first half of 1986. Such a waste imo, especially as Lyons was still at Leeds for a good chunk of the start of the Manly season and then he was at lock all year with Cox at #6 spot. I suppose given Arko had bought Cox as a #6 before Lyons signed they had to stick with him all season. Cox was at Manly in 87 but only on the bench for a handful of games. In 87 the halves were Hasler and M Meredith for the first month, with Cliffy on the bench. In 87 Cliffy got Manly #6 spot mid April, NSW Origin #6 spot mid July and won the Clive Churchill end of Sept.

Last edited:
I do recall Bozo copping heaps of criticism for Manly signing Cliffy and Rambo Gibbs. They were both seen as players who lacked discipline and sooner or later it would all implode on Manly. Bozo showed 'em!

That Manly jersey design looks a little different too. Great posts eagle66!

It's tough reading those Rambo articles now given his well documented battle with the effects of multiple concussions. I wish him all the best, he played with no fear but that may be his undoing. Lovely guy too, ran into him at 2011 GF and he had time for a bit of a chat.

Round 4 v Balmain
Wins in all 3 grades. Running equal 2nd in 1sts and equal 1st in the lower grades
EPSON044.JPG
EPSON068.JPG
EPSON075.JPG

Round 8 v Penrith
1sts win, runnign 2nd
2nds had a draw running 2nd
U23'S won, equal 3rd
Pres Cup and Flegg lost and SGBall won 13-4
EPSON065.JPG
EPSON066.JPG

Round 9 v ES
Wins to 1st, 2nds, Flegg (20-0) & Ball (38-0)
Also Mid week win over St George in the National Panasonic Cup 18-2
EPSON104.JPG
EPSON108.JPG

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4