1977 Jersey Flegg Side

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Pulled this pic off twitter. Do any of our old timers reckon they can recognise any players who went on to star in first grade

mwse 77.png

I have lists of 1978 & 1979 under 23 and reserve graders (assuming some moved up) but still can't pick em. I couldn't remember Glowheads name but Glenn Ryan would be the right age..

A more pertinent question may be: how many of them still have their luscious locks?
Yeah, yeah.

Ian Gately would have been younger, wouldn’t he? Could be wrong... I do remember Bozo telling him he ‘ran like a tart’, so must have been a Fulton-led team.

Ian Gately would have been younger, wouldn’t he? Could be wrong... I do remember Bozo telling him he ‘ran like a tart’, so must have been a Fulton-led team.
Ian Gately would have been 11 or 12 in 1977

I have lists of 1978 & 1979 under 23 and reserve graders (assuming some moved up) but still can't pick em. I couldn't remember Glowheads name but Glenn Ryan would be the right age..
Might be a bit too early for Ryan. He was the President’s Cup best and fairest of 1980 - across the whole comp. But it certainly does look like him.

Might be a bit too early for Ryan. He was the President’s Cup best and fairest of 1980 - across the whole comp. But it certainly does look like him.
I'm sure your right, born in 1962 so would only be 15. I think one of the long haired boys in the middle row might be Martin Meridith but I can't choose which one. 2nd from left or 4th from left?

I'm sure your right, born in 1962 so would only be 15. I think one of the long haired boys in the middle row might be Martin Meridith but I can't choose which one. 2nd from left or 4th from left?
You may be right with Martin Meredith, I remember him. I played with Glenn Ryan at Cromer and in '79 JF so it is not him in the pic.
Second row, far left looks like one of the Chisolm boys from Harbord United I played against before that time, Scott maybe?

You may be right with Martin Meredith, I remember him. I played with Glenn Ryan at Cromer and in '79 JF so it is not him in the pic.
Second row, far left looks like one of the Chisolm boys from Harbord United I played against before that time, Scott maybe?
Makes sense. I kinda recognize the guy 2nd row, 2nd from right, but can’t put a name to him.

I used to watch all 3 grades in the early 80s when I was a youth, so he may have become an under 23 or reserve grader at some point.

Attached list of 1978 U23 players might help identify some if they went up a grade. File would not load as JPEG so hope you can read a PDF.

Attachments

• 1978 U23 team.pdf
    190.5 KB · Views: 17
Was also thinking of guys like Steve Cray and Peter Callum and even Col Drier but a bit too early for those players as well from recollection . Martin Meredith , Glen Ryan and Peter Callum were all good club men and good footy players too but Meredith and Callum spend virtually all of their long term Manly careers in the lower grades . Recall noticing Glen Ryan as a sub in 1983 and occasionally in i st grade still in 1989 . Thought that he gad some real ability though as well as Drier the outside back [ who played some i st grade ]

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4