1 Million a season for one player wont break the bank explained

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Thurston is the only player in the game worth $1M. Our halves are not there yet and tbh won't be worth that at any stage. DCE had two opportunities to convert on Friday and the game would have been squared. JT slots those for fun and therein lies exactly why they are not $1M material. Our management might have made some big stuff ups in the past but not offering $1M + for these two isn't anything more than looking at the future of this club and sticking to the principles it has had over the last decade.

If they were happy i agree they would have stayed for less but unhappy players staying for overs are not going to turn it up when the chips are down, that is Parra's style. All you have are semi fit players giving the ball back to the opposition when they are injured. Foran 2 yrs ago would have used the ball under his chest to break his fall, not plant it for Parra to gain good field position.

DCE had a very good platform to work behind on Friday, probably the best the forwards have dished up for a while and what happened?

Obviously the club has stated it has until June 30 to change Foran's mind. I am hoping that is a smoke screen to be doing deals with other players. Wishful thinking but the club needs to start playing mind games with everyone to get some revenge on the other clubs.

Regardless of the cap going up and up these two are not worth that money at this stage. Maybe when they are in their next contract negotiations they will be but as it stands now, no way.
I would probably add this this Inglis. Would Souths have reached the GF, let alone win the premiership, if it wasn't for him.

Sorry Snake we will have to agree to disagree. At the time of contract negotiations when Des left, Foran chose to stay despite the fact he looked highly upon Des who was his mentor at the time even though board room dramas were prevalent.

Chez's manager was doing what he does best in getting a significant upgrade on his clients contract which to me was the painting on the wall which would and did come back to bite us on the arse when contracts were negotiated again recently.

Giftys departure may have had some impact and if so why did Snake and Matai choose to stay for they could have pushed for a release and gotten more at another club. Remember the Penns did not have voting power to over rule the previous boards decision to release Gift.

The Penns endeavored to convince Watmough to stay but he chose to leave his mates not because of King Arthur but the fact he wanted three years whereas manly were only offering two, even though his early release still puts him in the same situation had he agreed to a two year deal with Manly.

Please bear in mind I'm not supporting all the bulls**t of the previous and present board but can only hope the current board can resolve issues going forward be it player retention, focusing on youth, player facilities etc. If this results in a few sacrificial lambs being put to slaughter then so be it.

By the way would you really leave an employer where there are dramas to work for another employer where there are also dramas because "you are use to it" ? Money was a primary factor in this.
I don't think you're understanding my angle. If you are then fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

I am not saying that money was not a factor, but it wasn't the only factor. Foran has publicly stated that Glenn was a reason for his departure.

I am saying that our offer (to both players) would have been enough to keep them if they were happy. Both Cronk and Thurston were offered more money to leave the Storm and Cowboys, but stayed on because of the way they feel about the club.

The point I am trying to make is this; would an extra 100,000 - 200,000 a season be enough to uproot DCE to another state, or Foran to another club IF they were both happy where they were? I don't think so, so something else must have come into play.

It's as simply as this -
Glenn was let go - unhappy Foran
Glenn got let go and DCE copped the blame from a portion of the playing group and was belted from pillar to post in the media - unhappy DCE

How Foran felt about the board two years ago is irrelevant now, because they've done worse since then; let Glenn go.

How Foran feels about the Eels set up is irrelevant because it's no worse than what he is already used to, but they haven't cut one of his best mates, and his buddy is coaching over there.

I'm not saying money didn't factor into it, but if these two were really happy at Manly they would have stayed. You see it in the NRL all the time, it's easier to keep your own players than sign someone else's. Unless the gap in payments is significant, it's usually always a players preference to stay where they already are. Manly proved this for years, with players staying for less and sticking together because the group was tight.

I don't think you're understanding my angle. If you are then fair enough, we can agree to disagree.

I am not saying that money was not a factor, but it wasn't the only factor. Foran has publicly stated that Glenn was a reason for his departure.

I am saying that our offer (to both players) would have been enough to keep them if they were happy. Both Cronk and Thurston were offered more money to leave the Storm and Cowboys, but stayed on because of the way they feel about the club.

The point I am trying to make is this; would an extra 100,000 - 200,000 a season be enough to uproot DCE to another state, or Foran to another club IF they were both happy where they were? I don't think so, so something else must have come into play.
It was more of an extra 500,000 that came into play
and that was the main reason that swayed them away

There has been a lot of comments made that Thurston and Cam Smith are getting paid less than DCE. Both of these players have already signed for 1 million. Cam smith last year, and Thurston back in 2013 for seasons 2014-2017. Inglis signed back in 2012 for 800k (seasons 2013-17).

Salary Cap
2013 - 5.85 million
2014 - 6.3 million
2015 - 6.55 million
2016 - 6.8 million
2017- 7 million
2019 - 7.6 million or more?

The problem with the article and your statement is that manly do not have 6.3million to spend. Only the rich clubs with financial support can do that with 3rd party payments

The reason DCE was changed between the owners was that Sidney offer DCE over 1 Million in guaranteed payments which included the 3rd party payments. While Penn Family offered the same money but the 3rd payment was not guaranteed which is fair.

Only clubs like Bulldogs, Souths, Brisbane, Melbourne, cowboys have financial support from 3rd party companies. Manly do not have that sort of support which would bring your salary cap down to 4.5 million. not 6.3 million.
I believe it is an unfair system and awards the rich clubs while clubs with loyal players like what manly had. no discount.

Look at Johnathon Thurston never won a premiership? why, because all there salary is going toward one player. You need to spread the income between youth and experience quality players. If you go back to 2009 and 2011 have a look at side and we had a mixture of youth and experience. The same reason souths won the premiership last year. You do not put all your eggs in one basket.

I support what the management are trying to do after backended contracts that were done by dessie.

This isnt correct at all. for every year the salary cap rises then so does the grant from the nrl to every club. its not like the nrl are saying hey were gonna increase the salary cap and u have to find the rest of the money to remain competitive. The nrl grant exceeds the salary cap so that each club has more than a fair start on breaking even, given that the clubs pay coaches and 2nd and third tier leagues as well, so to say that we are spending only 4.5 million of our cap is ridiculous, especially given how sound our sponsorship became under dave perry. we were never chasing sponsors or going without like the titans and sharks are at the moment.

Also the whole point is that third party contracts are exactly that there third party agreements between the player and a person or company that isnt a sponsor or owner of the club. therefore the notion that quantum as an owner guaranteed the half of dces salary under the new offer is also rediculous, this is exactly what the broncos were investigated for last year, and it was only a loophole that allowed them to survive, as the very strong mail going around was they were guilty as sin.

joe kelly was brought in as a top end ceo to help restrucuture the club and its finances and sponsorship, given time i have the utmost faith that we will continue to gro our club, especially with the increased chances of the new ground developement, and the chance at increased corporate sponsorship. One more point to think about, when was the last time manly was mentioned in the paper as having to go to the nrl to get our grant early? its been 4 or 5 years since that point because of our current financial position. its not all doom and gloom, but we are certainly up there in regards to spending the full amount of our salary cap

It was more of an extra 500,000 that came into play
and that was the main reason that swayed them away
Disagree.

DCE - 1Mil at the Titans and I am supposed to believe we offered him 500k a year?

Foran - 1.2Mil at Parramatta and I am supposed to believe we offered him 700k a year?

No way.

It's also been reported than Manly have 2 mil to spend (a war chest) due to losing these two.

When two marquee players come off contract, and you have the cap space to sign them, and they walk, something is up.

I would probably add this this Inglis. Would Souths have reached the GF, let alone win the premiership, if it wasn't for him.

Maybe not, however their team has a lot very young talent coming through on minimum wage. Inglis is a freak player no doubt, but in a team with a good fwd pack, solid halves (one with an 80-85% conversion rate) and very solid players all wanting to play for one another Souths would have won last yrs GF with a player rated at half his value. The thing money can't buy is the team spirit they have.

I think if these other players that are on minimum wage had upgrades even a club like Souths would struggle to justify $1M for Inglis. I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him but he would be a great asset to any team

Disagree.

DCE - 1Mil at the Titans and I am supposed to believe we offered him 500k a year?

Foran - 1.2Mil at Parramatta and I am supposed to believe we offered him 700k a year?

No way.

It's also been reported than Manly have 2 mil to spend (a war chest) due to losing these two.

When two marquee players come off contract, and you have the cap space to sign them, and they walk, something is up.

This $2M war chest might be what the media have put together based on what they have signed on for. What if it's a $1.4M war chest in reality?

I agree in that there is something else going on behind the scenes as last yr their faces at times looked a bit unhappy and body language wasn't there like in the past.

Unfortunately we as supporters will never know the real reason, maybe when they all release their Auto Biography (Chocs in pop up book form) that we might have some understanding lol :)

Disagree.

No way.

DCE signs 4 years with Titans = 4 mil
Manly $800 x 4 = 3.2mil
There is your $800.000 reason
I

I heard part or the proposed war chest may have to finance ripping up the old turf at Brooky and replacing it with a new NFL style astroturf.
i heard your a fck wit Chiel Eel LOL
11011752_804669902940491_6204803079725860828_n.jpg

I get your point but I do honestly think money was the primary factor.

With a changing of the guard in the board room there is no more bickering, at least that which is reported in the media. I can only think the Penns have good intentions for the club when one considers the amount of money they have invested for which their return would be minimal. It can only be assumed they have an alternative vision or direction for this club which may have resulted in stricter negotiations rather than bowing to the players wishes. It takes time to build a house, brick by brick, and at the moment they are laying down the foundation. You would think what would have happened with the previous board is no longer which can only bring more stability......you would think.

Having both halves eat up a significant part of the cap will continue to see us struggle in the forwards when other successful clubs have focused on their forwards, Souths, Dogs and Roosters. This is why the money offered by Manly was lower by $200,000 to $300,000 each for Chez and Foz respectively and perhaps why they opted to leave.

This isnt correct at all. for every year the salary cap rises then so does the grant from the nrl to every club. its not like the nrl are saying hey were gonna increase the salary cap and u have to find the rest of the money to remain competitive. The nrl grant exceeds the salary cap so that each club has more than a fair start on breaking even, given that the clubs pay coaches and 2nd and third tier leagues as well, so to say that we are spending only 4.5 million of our cap is ridiculous, especially given how sound our sponsorship became under dave perry. we were never chasing sponsors or going without like the titans and sharks are at the moment.

Also the whole point is that third party contracts are exactly that there third party agreements between the player and a person or company that isnt a sponsor or owner of the club. therefore the notion that quantum as an owner guaranteed the half of dces salary under the new offer is also rediculous, this is exactly what the broncos were investigated for last year, and it was only a loophole that allowed them to survive, as the very strong mail going around was they were guilty as sin.

joe kelly was brought in as a top end ceo to help restrucuture the club and its finances and sponsorship, given time i have the utmost faith that we will continue to gro our club, especially with the increased chances of the new ground developement, and the chance at increased corporate sponsorship. One more point to think about, when was the last time manly was mentioned in the paper as having to go to the nrl to get our grant early? its been 4 or 5 years since that point because of our current financial position. its not all doom and gloom, but we are certainly up there in regards to spending the full amount of our salary cap

Agree. Manly is not a poor club. They are pretty well off financially.

Maybe not, however their team has a lot very young talent coming through on minimum wage. Inglis is a freak player no doubt, but in a team with a good fwd pack, solid halves (one with an 80-85% conversion rate) and very solid players all wanting to play for one another Souths would have won last yrs GF with a player rated at half his value. The thing money can't buy is the team spirit they have.

I think if these other players that are on minimum wage had upgrades even a club like Souths would struggle to justify $1M for Inglis. I wouldn't be breaking the bank to keep him but he would be a great asset to any team
Bulldogs, Souths, Roosters have all recruited heavily over the past few years. Most of their star players have been recruited from other sides.

But your right, Souths are a well managed, well coached side with plenty of spirit which goes a long way to winning a GF

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6