1 Million a season for one player wont break the bank explained

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Why is it a stupid excuse?? If the cows had an extra 300k to throw at a quality 5/8 , that in turn would take pressure off thurston and help create more chances.
Everyone is entitled to there opinion bud

It is used all the time, and a poor excuse! Last year they had the team to win it, they played a poor first half in the prelim final and then Thurston had an absolute blinder (no one else in the game could of done what he did in 25 mins) and put on 5 tries. They were robbed at the end I feel as Thurston scored. They belted souths only 2 weeks before on their home soil as well. They were primed to take it out. They have been robbed in the final series for a number of previous years with terrible ref calls. IS that because Thurston, the games best player is paid too much? Come on, he is paid what he is worth. 3 time Daley M winner.

Iv been one of the ones saying that DCE isn't worth a million from our cap. In saying that I'd have no probs with us giving him 500k and then 500k in 3rd party. Simply fact is it's not happening. Time to move on. We all support the greatest team in the world, hopefully the club announces signings soon and we will continue to have huge success.
Only time will tell either way...

All I'm saying is don't expect marquee signings to come cheap! Tom Burgess 700k apparently Trent and Maloney - bet they attract huge offers around 700-800k. These players are in currently very successful sides, the only way they will leave to come to Manly is with a large pay increase - and now we are back to the same dilemma with DCE. They might even decide to take a pay cut to remain with their current sides? Manly might not attract anyone? Or, we just go after juniors on the rise and sign our promising young stars - which I'm fine with. Like you said, will have to wait and see how it all pans out. By the start of 2016 we can judge whether the new owners and CEO have made the right choices. Still can have a very successful this year.

It is used all the time, and a poor excuse! Last year they had the team to win it, they played a poor first half in the prelim final and then Thurston had an absolute blinder (no one else in the game could of done what he did in 25 mins) and put on 5 tries. They were robbed at the end I feel as Thurston scored. They belted souths only 2 weeks before on their home soil as well. They were primed to take it out. They have been robbed in the final series for a number of previous years with terrible ref calls. IS that because Thurston, the games best player is paid too much? Come on, he is paid what he is worth. 3 time Daley M winner.
Great player for sure Simon but I just think if he didn't take so much of the cap, they'd afford another quality player to help them win. And the fact is they DIDNT win, for whatever reason.
And how are they going this year?? Yep, ****. Add another quality 5/8 to there roster and they improve. Pressure would have been taken off thurston and he wouldn't be getting hammered from pillar to post from opposing teams ( well not as much anyway).
Anyway fu$k the cowboys I hope they lose all year!

Great player for sure Simon but I just think if he didn't take so much of the cap, they'd afford another quality player to help them win. And the fact is they DIDNT win, for whatever reason.
And how are they going this year?? Yep, ****. Add another quality 5/8 to there roster and they improve. Pressure would have been taken off thurston and he wouldn't be getting hammered from pillar to post from opposing teams ( well not as much anyway).
Anyway fu$k the cowboys I hope they lose all year!
Haha, your funny. It's the cows defense and attitude that are losing them matches - not the five-eighth! Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.

Maybe your right and we pay overs. Or maybe there unhappy at there respective clubs and need a change. Who knows?
I just feel our recruitment staff have got it right regarding DCE and Foran.
But really, what the fu$k do I know?
Either way Manly will continue to be successful.

Apparently only half of cherrys 1 million is under the cap and the other half is nrl guaranteed 3rd party.
That's the big problem with all player payments...3rd party deals.....and more importantly who organises them for the club and player.

Haha, your funny. It's the cows defense and attitude that are losing them matches - not the five-eighth! Anyway, we will have to agree to disagree on that one.
More referencing previous seasons bud.Agreed they have several probs this season.
But who gives a fu$k about them.
DCE and Foran are gone. 7 millions threads aren't going to bring them back.
Onwards and upwards mate, look to the future

More referencing previous seasons bud.Agreed they have several probs this season.
But who gives a fu$k about them.
DCE and Foran are gone. 7 millions threads aren't going to bring them back.
Onwards and upwards mate, look to the future

Yeah I get your point, but remember Thurston was in high demand and if the Cowgirls didn't offer him 1 million, and instead saved 300k for another five-eighth and only offered him 700k - he wouldn't be playing for them now - he would be playing for panthers as they offered him 1 million too remember, and he nearly went. So they might have been left with 2 average halves?

At the end of the day both Foz and Chez left for the money. Manly offered what they believe to be a fair price which they chose not to except. Foz obviously agreed to terms with the Eels some time ago. Manly pulled the offer off the table for Cheeza for which information must have been obtained whereupon he had agreed to the terms of the Titans and the NRL guaranteeing his entire salary did not make it easy to compete. At the end of the day I am sure the Penns, CEO, Toovs and the recruitment team have an alternative plan in place.

Remember that offering them both what they want would have taken up about 35 to 40 per cent of the salary cap whilst still fitting in the salaries of Lyon, Matai and Stewart. If we have been a bit thin in the forwards for the past few years, how is the club meant to attract quality forwards with the funds left over? Are they to rely on fringe first graders or juniors to do the job?

Oh and by the way, at the time Thurston was negotiating his next contract, the Dogs offered him over $1mil but he chose to stay with the Cowboys for less.

HERE IS HOW IT ALL GOT STUFFED -

Manly offered DCE and Foran the kind of money a "happy" player would gladly accept to stay at a club where they are already settled, live in the area, and love the club. A year or two ago, these offers would have been enough to keep them at Manly. That's how we've kept players in the past, and that's how the Roosters and Souths are re-signing all their stars.

However...

These guys aren't that thrilled with the place, and two clubs (Titans and Eels respectively), offered a little bit extra and away they went. Our club didn't bargain for a revolt from these two when the offers were put on the table, and got left standing with their pants down.

A happy Foran and DCE would have taken a little less to stay; a disgruntled Foran and DCE walk for a little extra.

Back to the original topic of this thread; I agree that with an increased cap (as it stands in 2015) and the quality of players we are talking about, 1 mil a season is not too much.

However, some of the figures on that website are a little dubious, and there is a disclaimer stating that it's simply reported figures.

If they are indeed correct then LOL at the following:

Josh Dugan - 700k
Ben Barba - 800k
Shaun Fensom - 500k
Akila Uate - 500k
Sisa Waqa - 430k
Tim Grant - 350k

HERE IS HOW IT ALL GOT STUFFED -

Manly offered DCE and Foran the kind of money a "happy" player would gladly accept to stay at a club where they are already settled, live in the area, and love the club. A year or two ago, these offers would have been enough to keep them at Manly. That's how we've kept players in the past, and that's how the Roosters and Souths are re-signing all their stars.

However...

These guys aren't that thrilled with the place, and two clubs (Titans and Eels respectively), offered a little bit extra and away they went. Our club didn't bargain for a revolt from these two when the offers were put on the table, and got left standing with their pants down.

A happy Foran and DCE would have taken a little less to stay; a disgruntled Foran and DCE walk for a little extra.

And do you think all the board room dramas happening at the Eels at present and in the past which has seen a number of coaches come and go with the prospect Arthur being ousted at the next board room elections coupled with the continuous dramas marring the Titans have endured recently would not have impacted on their decision?

Manly's board room squabbling has been an ongoing issue for some time now. Both players had the option of leaving at the time Des left whose reason for going to the Dogs was due to the ongoing board room bickerings

Zero Tackle is incorrect with respect to salaries and off contract players. Their info comes from the media which in itself can be misleading.

And do you think all the board room dramas happening at the Eels at present and in the past which has seen a number of coaches come and go with the prospect Arthur being ousted at the next board room elections coupled with the continuous dramas marring the Titans have endured recently would not have impacted on their decision?

Manly's board room squabbling has been an ongoing issue for some time now. Both players had the option of leaving at the time Des left whose reason for going to the Dogs was due to the ongoing board room bickerings

It's as simply as this -
Glenn was let go - unhappy Foran
Glenn got let go and DCE copped the blame from a portion of the playing group and was belted from pillar to post in the media - unhappy DCE

How Foran felt about the board two years ago is irrelevant now, because they've done worse since then; let Glenn go.

How Foran feels about the Eels set up is irrelevant because it's no worse than what he is already used to, but they haven't cut one of his best mates, and his buddy is coaching over there.

I'm not saying money didn't factor into it, but if these two were really happy at Manly they would have stayed. You see it in the NRL all the time, it's easier to keep your own players than sign someone else's. Unless the gap in payments is significant, it's usually always a players preference to stay where they already are. Manly proved this for years, with players staying for less and sticking together because the group was tight.

Yep it is a massive problem to have. It is far easier to convince current players to stay than sign a marquee player from another club and in fact you usually have to pay overs to convince a marquee player to come to your club. Kelly and Penn don't seem to understand that logic.

So we were better off paying overs for dce than now having to go to market.

Yep it is a massive problem to have. It is far easier to convince current players to stay than sign a marquee player from another club and in fact you usually have to pay overs to convince a marquee player to come to your club. Kelly and Penn don't seem to understand that logic.

So we were better off paying overs for dce than now having to go to market.
Spot on!

It's as simply as this -
Glenn was let go - unhappy Foran
Glenn got let go and DCE copped the blame from a portion of the playing group and was belted from pillar to post in the media - unhappy DCE

How Foran felt about the board two years ago is irrelevant now, because they've done worse since then; let Glenn go.

How Foran feels about the Eels set up is irrelevant because it's no worse than what he is already used to, but they haven't cut one of his best mates, and his buddy is coaching over there.

I'm not saying money didn't factor into it, but if these two were really happy at Manly they would have stayed. You see it in the NRL all the time, it's easier to keep your own players than sign someone else's. Unless the gap in payments is significant, it's usually always a players preference to stay where they already are. Manly proved this for years, with players staying for less and sticking together because the group was tight.

Sorry Snake we will have to agree to disagree. At the time of contract negotiations when Des left, Foran chose to stay despite the fact he looked highly upon Des who was his mentor at the time even though board room dramas were prevalent.

Chez's manager was doing what he does best in getting a significant upgrade on his clients contract which to me was the painting on the wall which would and did come back to bite us on the arse when contracts were negotiated again recently.

Giftys departure may have had some impact and if so why did Snake and Matai choose to stay for they could have pushed for a release and gotten more at another club. Remember the Penns did not have voting power to over rule the previous boards decision to release Gift.

The Penns endeavored to convince Watmough to stay but he chose to leave his mates not because of King Arthur but the fact he wanted three years whereas manly were only offering two, even though his early release still puts him in the same situation had he agreed to a two year deal with Manly.

Please bear in mind I'm not supporting all the bulls**t of the previous and present board but can only hope the current board can resolve issues going forward be it player retention, focusing on youth, player facilities etc. If this results in a few sacrificial lambs being put to slaughter then so be it.

By the way would you really leave an employer where there are dramas to work for another employer where there are also dramas because "you are use to it" ? Money was a primary factor in this.

Last edited:
Thurston is the only player in the game worth $1M. Our halves are not there yet and tbh won't be worth that at any stage. DCE had two opportunities to convert on Friday and the game would have been squared. JT slots those for fun and therein lies exactly why they are not $1M material. Our management might have made some big stuff ups in the past but not offering $1M + for these two isn't anything more than looking at the future of this club and sticking to the principles it has had over the last decade.

If they were happy i agree they would have stayed for less but unhappy players staying for overs are not going to turn it up when the chips are down, that is Parra's style. All you have are semi fit players giving the ball back to the opposition when they are injured. Foran 2 yrs ago would have used the ball under his chest to break his fall, not plant it for Parra to gain good field position.

DCE had a very good platform to work behind on Friday, probably the best the forwards have dished up for a while and what happened?

Obviously the club has stated it has until June 30 to change Foran's mind. I am hoping that is a smoke screen to be doing deals with other players. Wishful thinking but the club needs to start playing mind games with everyone to get some revenge on the other clubs.

Regardless of the cap going up and up these two are not worth that money at this stage. Maybe when they are in their next contract negotiations they will be but as it stands now, no way.

How much was cherry on in 2011 when we won the comp? We buy them cheap and then clubs pay massive dollars for them, if it were real estate wed be linchpins. We will do it again and again. Sorry – but from my perspective no rugby league player is worth 1 mil a season.

Let’s think about Manlys great halves and compare cherry and foran to those (toovey, blake, thompson, martin, lyon, lyons, gibbsy, occonnell, hasler, didn’t fulton play 5/8 at one stage? chisolm) honourable mention at best for the gold diggers. Maybe a vote on Manlys best ever halves

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4