‘I had nothing to prove’: Ray Warren announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Then there was the ‘Kerry Buckeridge incident’ of the 1970s. Rabs apparently plied Kerry with grog and Kerry apparently embarrassed himself in front of Channel 10 station management at a station function. Buckeridge was formerly the lead caller for the Amco Cup on Channel 10.

My mind returned to that when Ray drained down about being replaced by Rex at Channel 10, some years later. His complaint centred on the ‘underhanded’ nature of his replacement by the king of RL TV broadcasters - Sexy Rexy.

Methinks you complained too much Rabs.
From an internet search of 'Kerry Buckeridge'...

Sea Eagles still haunted by shock loss after 40 years​

John Geddes, Manly Daily, August 6, 2014

TOMORROW marks the 40th anniversary of the game that got away from the Sea Eagles and probably cost the club another championship title.

It was a bitterly cold day on August 7 1974 when Manly flew to Orange to play the NSW Country outfit Western Division in the semi-final of the midweek Amco Cup.

And to this day a mystery surrounds the Manly side that took the field for the game.

They were missing stars Bob Fulton, Ray Branighan, Terry Randall, Ian Martin and John O’Neill who were all key members of the Manly side that defeated Cronulla in the brutal 1973 grand final.

But there have always been questions as to whether Manly had taken their opponents too easily and if all the players really were injured.

When the scores were locked at 12-all at fulltime Western Division proceeded to the final on a penalty countback.

The underdogs became part of rugby league folklore when they defeated Penrith 6-2 in the final.

The drama surrounding the shock exit of the defending titleholders Manly from the Amco Cup is detailed in the new book The Night The Music Died (Stoke Hill Press) by renowned writer Ian Heads that plots Western Division’s triumph.

It was the last year of black and white television and the Channel Ten commentary team was Kerry Buckeridge and a rising talent named Ray Warren.

Despite the absent players Heads said Manly still fielded an impressive outfit at Wade Park that included six current or past internationals, two future Test stars and two more who had represented NSW.

Heads wrote all eyes were on English international Malcolm Reilly, who was making his comeback after serving a four-game suspension for belting Australian Test halfback Tom Raudonikis in a spiteful game against Western Suburbs at Lidcombe Oval.

And that Amco Cup game was also Reilly’s return from a two-ban after and Penrith’s Test forward Bill Ashurst were both sent off for headbutting in a match at Brookvale.

“The game blossomed into a cracker, with Western Division on the back foot almost to the last breath,” Heads wrote.

With the scores locked at 12-all right on fulltime Mark Willoughy, a late replacement in the Manly side, had the chance to snatch victory with a penalty attempt from wide out right on fulltime.

When Willoughby was about to move in for the kick the crowd invaded the sideline, booing the referee and the Manly players and missed the goal after the ball came off the side of his boot.

As Western Division conceded 10 penalties to Manly’s 11, they were declared winners.

Peter Peters, who was in the Manly pack for that game, has helped clear up the unanswered question from the game.

“I think all these years later we can say we took them a little bit easy,” he said.

“When we got to the ground we got changed on chicken sheds and I’ve never been so cold in all my life.

“And when we got on the field all these big farmers just belted us.”

Link:

Hated the bloke with a passion, met him twice and he was an arrogant grub, plus I think he was a Squeel supporter and that in itself is enough to dislike him, I base my opinion on personal experience, I know there's many both here and elsewhere who think differently and as I say with everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe Nine might be worth watching again, shame they don't carry all the games 🙂
Definitely a whinging worm fan and every time they lose a big game his funeral voice came out. Decent commentator, not a patch on our Rex!!

Hated the bloke with a passion, met him twice and he was an arrogant grub, plus I think he was a Squeel supporter and that in itself is enough to dislike him, I base my opinion on personal experience, I know there's many both here and elsewhere who think differently and as I say with everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe Nine might be worth watching again, shame they don't carry all the games 🙂
Couldn't stand him.

People mistake longevity for quality.

A fair assessment of match commentators would show that Rabs is ranked behind Rex, Darryl eastlake, Ian Maurice, Graeme Hughes, Fatty, Slater, sterlo, Ron Casey, zorba, Hollywood, maroon, ken Sutcliffe, mike Gibson, Andrew Moore, warren Boland, jack Gibson, artie beetson, Gus, Johnny Gibbs, brandy.

Rabs is better than Hadley and Braith, and perhaps on a par with tony megahey or JT. On a good day.

Last edited:
People mistake longevity for quality.

A fair assessment of match commentators would show that Rabs is ranked behind Rex, Darryl eastlake, Ian Maurice, Graeme Hughes, Fatty, Slater, sterlo, Ron Casey, zorba, Hollywood, maroon, ken Sutcliffe, mike Gibson, Andrew Moore, warren Boland, jack Gibson, artie beetson, Gus, Johnny Gibbs, brandy.

Rabs is better than Hadley and Braith, and perhaps on a par with tony megahey or JT. On a good day.
🤡🤡🤡

The 1970s must have been something special. What is Ray Warren and Sydney Showground doing in a USA tv series?

‘Night of the Shark’ was the name of the episode. I was mightily pissed off when I had a late call-up (on the night it aired - Fri 26 Mar 76) to babysit for a family in Frenchs’ Forest. They only had a b&w tv. I had been looking forward to watching it on our Sanyo 18” colour tv.

Inconsiderate bastards.

‘Night of the Shark’ was the name of the episode. I was mightily pissed off when I had a late call-up (on the night it aired - Fri 26 Mar 76) to babysit for a family in Frenchs’ Forest. They only had a b&w tv. I had been looking forward to watching it on our Sanyo 18” colour tv.

Inconsiderate bastards.
18" colour screen! You lucky lucky man!

blankety_blanks_1977.jpg

It's not rocket science...
Just call the play & identify the players...
Something Rabs used to do so well.
Now though, he & his contemporaries inflict us with their opinions. Frankly, I don't give a stuff what you think - just call the fn game WITHOUT bias.

Sadly, in these days of over-inflated egos, that will never happen!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4