‘I had nothing to prove’: Ray Warren announces his retirement

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

pt73

Bencher
Premium Member

Legendary commentator Ray Warren has called his last game of rugby league.

The 78-year-old confirmed on Wednesday afternoon he was hanging up the binoculars, ending months of speculation about his future.

It means he won’t reach 100 Origin matches, stranded on 99 after calling last year’s series, won by NSW, but as he says, “I had nothing to prove”.
And he didn’t.

“After calling rugby league and other sports for 55 years including 99 Origins, I have decided my time in the commentary box is over,” Warren said.

“Obviously it’s a sad time however I will still be employed by Nine doing whatever is required of me.“

Having established himself as one of Australia’s greatest broadcasters, Warren was mindful of trashing his legacy with a mistake in the final years of his career.

“It’s been easy leaving the commentary box, but each time I came back I knew I was getting closer to making a fool of myself,” Warren told the Herald. “After I called last year’s grand final between Penrith and Souths, I walked out feeling like I’d done a good job. I knew after that game it was my last.”

“I have not called since that night purely to get a feel of life after commentary and to deal with a couple of personal health problems. Naturally after five and half decades I will miss calling immensely but I think it’s time to move on.

“I really want to thank everybody so much. All my workmates. Channel Nine, Channel Ten, Radio 2GB and Radio 2LF at Young who each gave a youngster from Junee a chance to turn his dreams, into reality. Hopefully the story will carry some inspiration into the lives of other young kids from the country.

“My family has been amazing during both the ups and the downs. My wife Cher has been a rock. The game, the NRL and the players, for giving me the privilege of calling such a great product and finally the viewers, for allowing me to share a little time in your living rooms or wherever since the early 70s.”

Warren’s retirement means Mat Thompson is expected to call Origin I.

Warren called 99 Origins, 45 grand finals, three Melbourne Cups and many years of Australia’s premier swimmers over three Olympics campaigns.

He's had a great career, wonderful commentator and I hope he enjoys the next phase of his life.

I thought he may have stayed on a season or two too long, but that doesn't diminish my enjoyment of his calls over the years.

1fdec6b8e571cbf758d1dcc6dcb7a3e17bb753ed

I'll always remember his calls during Origin.

That, and him always bringing up the "fibros vs. Silvertails" rhetoric.

Legendary commentator Ray Warren has called his last game of rugby league.

The 78-year-old confirmed on Wednesday afternoon he was hanging up the binoculars, ending months of speculation about his future.

It means he won’t reach 100 Origin matches, stranded on 99 after calling last year’s series, won by NSW, but as he says, “I had nothing to prove”.
And he didn’t.

“After calling rugby league and other sports for 55 years including 99 Origins, I have decided my time in the commentary box is over,” Warren said.

“Obviously it’s a sad time however I will still be employed by Nine doing whatever is required of me.“

Having established himself as one of Australia’s greatest broadcasters, Warren was mindful of trashing his legacy with a mistake in the final years of his career.

“It’s been easy leaving the commentary box, but each time I came back I knew I was getting closer to making a fool of myself,” Warren told the Herald. “After I called last year’s grand final between Penrith and Souths, I walked out feeling like I’d done a good job. I knew after that game it was my last.”

“I have not called since that night purely to get a feel of life after commentary and to deal with a couple of personal health problems. Naturally after five and half decades I will miss calling immensely but I think it’s time to move on.

“I really want to thank everybody so much. All my workmates. Channel Nine, Channel Ten, Radio 2GB and Radio 2LF at Young who each gave a youngster from Junee a chance to turn his dreams, into reality. Hopefully the story will carry some inspiration into the lives of other young kids from the country.

“My family has been amazing during both the ups and the downs. My wife Cher has been a rock. The game, the NRL and the players, for giving me the privilege of calling such a great product and finally the viewers, for allowing me to share a little time in your living rooms or wherever since the early 70s.”

Warren’s retirement means Mat Thompson is expected to call Origin I.

Warren called 99 Origins, 45 grand finals, three Melbourne Cups and many years of Australia’s premier swimmers over three Olympics campaigns.
Hated the bloke with a passion, met him twice and he was an arrogant grub, plus I think he was a Squeel supporter and that in itself is enough to dislike him, I base my opinion on personal experience, I know there's many both here and elsewhere who think differently and as I say with everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe Nine might be worth watching again, shame they don't carry all the games 🙂

Hated the bloke with a passion, met him twice and he was an arrogant grub, plus I think he was a Squeel supporter and that in itself is enough to dislike him, I base my opinion on personal experience, I know there's many both here and elsewhere who think differently and as I say with everything, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Maybe Nine might be worth watching again, shame they don't carry all the games 🙂
i got the sense that he might be like that. i've heard similar stories unfortunately.

N
Nine will only be worth watching when they get rid of the rest of the arrogant self opinionated pricks

He was for the most part of his career not biased.

Probably started to change a little in recent years.

Think he went too long but nevertheless a brilliant career.

Just seen that Warren has asked for a release. Grant Goldman hadn’t been adequately replaced at brookie, c’mon Mestrov /Penn’s stop sitting on your hands fs

Thoughts?

“I had nothing to prove” is an aggressive way to announce one’s retirement.

Why the chip on his shoulder? Does he somehow think he is integral to origin?

Then there was the ‘Kerry Buckeridge Incident’ of the 1970s. Rabs apparently plied Kerry with grog and Kerry apparently embarrassed himself in front of Channel 10 station management at a station function. Buckeridge was formerly the lead caller for the Amco Cup on Channel 10.

My mind returned to that when Ray drained down about being replaced by Rex at Channel 10, some years later. His complaint centred on the ‘underhanded’ nature of his replacement by the king of RL TV broadcasters - Sexy Rexy.

Methinks you complained too much Rabs.

Last edited:
He was a great caller for a very long time. The best by a country mile. However, he is getting on and spends too much time arguing and getting worked up. Listening to old replays from his heyday, he had a wonderful voice and a fantastic turn of phrase.

Then there was the ‘Kerry Buckeridge incident’ of the 1970s. Rabs apparently plied Kerry with grog and Kerry apparently embarrassed himself in front of Channel 10 station management at a station function. Buckeridge was formerly the lead caller for the Amco Cup on Channel 10.

My mind returned to that when Ray drained down about being replaced by Rex at Channel 10, some years later. His complaint centred on the ‘underhanded’ nature of his replacement by the king of RL TV broadcasters - Sexy Rexy.

Methinks you complained too much Rabs.
That's Warren to a T

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8