When and how did the form slump begin?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Interested in people's ideas as to the possible cause of our recent woeful form. Could it be:
We were punching above our weight and just ran out of legs?
Coincided with Kapow drop in impact?
DCE non origin selection?
Sironen injury?
Salary cap witch hunt?
Talk if Baz to dogs?
Bozo Hawaii trip?
Something else altogether?
I think we not a finished product, we have overperformed a little.
Clubs going in right direction sg ball team this year and 20s going well.
Kelly way too early to be bloodied at this stage i seen this at bush footy even it may hurt hus development in long term.
Our backrow simply not first grade standard its tough where had likes of randall, vautin, menzies, kosef, watmough and gifty to compare too i think it may come from within but we struggle here in defence and attack.
Our pack marty (who i gave spray today) carried all year, jake he down a bit on form. Darcy lack of anything hurting us last year he was our best forward my say start him trent.
While it may be crap to miss finals we headed to right direction. But we need the gaps in roster changed to compete in future.

This is not a form slump. Whatever we had, which was special, is long gone.

It can't be coached back into them either.
Woah, no no no no no. That is not the case, what we had was far from complete, improving could've been done back then and improving is to be done now. They can all return back to that form no doubt. We get back to basics and we'll be fine. Our form dip is real, and it truly began last week against the dragons followed by the game against the Storm. The weeks prior we were playing fine although just couldn't start well and had to chase points because of it. Last two weeks reminds me 100% of the weeks in rd 6 & 7 against (coincidentally) the Dragons and the Storm. After those weeks everyone was raging on Silvertails about how the form we'd had is gone and buried. However, the next week manly showed up in a shocking gritty (and fantastic!!!) win over the Raiders who were playing really well at the time. Now we play the Chooks after some terrible weeks and can hopefully do likewise. I want to see the passion and heart return from the boys who look a little busted imo.

Dragons game earlier in season (rd6) we looked flat, dead, non-existent and were blown away-Dragons game last week (rd 20) we looked identical.
Storm game earlier in season (rd 7) we were absolutely horrendous in defence for one half-Twin of todays match against the Storm (rd 21).

There's still 5 weeks to go, let's see if they have enough heart to battle their way back, and if it is indeed a form dip, we should be out of it soon. These past two weeks have been gutting to watch

When we lost Tafua was when we started to see the downturn. He was second on meters gained behind Gallen and was also high on the list of post contact meters. He is a beast. Our forwards now look tired and take out the defence that Myles had around the ruck and we now look vulnerable.
Myles wasn't the best attacking prop going round but is one of the best defenders in the NRL.
I think the loss of Taufua was a massive blow to our go forward.

I don't normally post much but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I think it might have to do with the time of day games are played. For example, of the 8 games Manly have played during the day this season they have won 2. Of the 11 games they have played during dusk/night they have won 9. Maybe a slump has never just started but rather a consistent pattern all year.

I don't normally post much but thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I think it might have to do with the time of day games are played. For example, of the 8 games Manly have played during the day this season they have won 2. Of the 11 games they have played during dusk/night they have won 9. Maybe a slump has never just started but rather a consistent pattern all year.

Interesting Talons. Of those two day game wins, the first they got run down against the Raiders but then snatched it in GP and the other was against the Tigers where they were very ordinary and lucky to win.

The two at night they lost were the Panthers debacle and the Broncos, which they could've easily won.

Doesn't bode well for the rest of the year with all Sunday games ahead?

Exactly Volley. To be fair though, both the Dogs and Sharks games started at 4:30pm and 4:00pm respectively.

The form slump started against the Warriors in Perth. I think in that game Marty Taupau picked up an injury and he has struggled since and the big change is our ball control and missed tackles have risen steeply. This team has over achieved and there is still time to make the finals. It is going to require a big step up in attitude and application to get this done.!

We need more quality players, simple as that. Said it before, as have plenty of others, but even if we miss the finals we've overachieved this year. That said, I hope somebody realises we need to make out tackles stick. Getting really sick of watching teams offload at will against our retreating defensive line.

Missing the finals now = Underachieved

The last 2 performances have been worse than anything Newcastle has produced this year.

You are right Danly on both points.

If we miss the finals now, I will be absolutely filthy with the team and Barrett. Simply not good enough to drop our bundle now.

And our last two performances have been just diabolical. Last week was bad enough but twice in a row to be thumped big time is not exceptable in my mind.

We certainly look like a different team to the one when we towelled up the Dogs and Vermin.

I don't know if anyone has noticed the team morale over the past month or so.

When we beat the dogs, the high fives, back slaps and general team feel was unreal. The boys looked happy and were playing as a unit. But seeing the boys even at the Tigpies game, I could sense a difference with the group. Maybe it is fatigue, but it is clearly different. There maybe something going on or something that has happened to interfere with the once highly noticeable close knit playing group.

I also think the way we were beaten by the officials & Riff did not help matters and we have looked flat and disjointed ever since.

As well as opposition teams dissecting our style of play, finding our weaknesses and working out how to beat us. Kapow has worked his butt of this year and has given so much, but he has been targeted a lot lately, we need another Kapow to share the load. Kelly was going o.k. early on, but he gets targeted also and is shut down before he can get a run on. Our line speed is slow and we are loosing the battle of the ruck. Let alone how we miss so many tackles and allow too many offloads.

We needed to improve or change our game plan somewhat especially after we were towelled up last week and we simply did not do anything different today. And of course we do not have great depth either, so once we conceded some injuries, we just could not fill the spots with first grade standard talent.

So what has happened is anyone's guess, but our team morale, ability to minimise offloads and missed tackles is a problem and has become increasingly noticeable over the past month. That and our lack of depth (we need forward punch and people that can tackle) and not changing or even slightly adjusting our game plan because if it no longer works, we should not keep doing it......!! (Maybe we should spend more time on defence in games, getting repeat sets and then the attack can flourish?)

And with out sugar coating it IMO we will get flogged again next week and maybe in each and every remaining game if we don't address some of the above points.

It is extremely disappointing to see the difference in our team in the last few weeks, from when I thought we could have a chance in getting to at least week two of the finals to now thinking we may possibly miss the top 8 altogether.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has noticed the team morale over the past month or so.

When we beat the dogs, the high fives, back slaps and general team feel was unreal. The boys looked happy and were playing as a unit. But seeing the boys even at the Tigpies game, I could sense a difference with the group. Maybe it is fatigue, but it is clearly different. There maybe something going on or something that has happened to interfere with the once highly noticeable close knit playing group.

I also think the way we were beaten by the officials & Riff did not help matters and we have looked flat and disjointed ever since.

As well as opposition teams dissecting our style of play, finding our weaknesses and working out how to beat us. Kapow has worked his butt of this year and has given so much, but he has been targeted a lot lately, we need another Kapow to share the load. Kelly was going o.k. early on, but he gets targeted also and is shut down before he can get a run on. Our line speed is slow and we are loosing the battle of the ruck. Let alone how we miss so many tackles and allow too many offloads.

We needed to improve or change our game plan somewhat especially after we were towelled up last week and we simply did not do anything different today. And of course we do not have great depth either, so once we conceded some injuries, we just could not fill the spots with first grade standard talent.

So what has happened is anyone's guess, but our team morale, ability to minimise offloads and missed tackles is a problem and has become increasingly noticeable over the past month. That and our lack of depth (we need forward punch and people that can tackle) and not changing or even slightly adjusting our game plan because if it no longer works, we should not keep doing it......!! (Maybe we should spend more time on defence in games, getting repeat sets and then the attack can flourish?)

And with out sugar coating it IMO we will get flogged again next week and maybe in each and every remaining game if we don't address some of the above points.

It is extremely disappointing to see the difference in our team in the last few weeks, from when I thought we could have a chance in getting to at least week two of the finals to now thinking we may possibly miss the top 8 altogether.

I agree with your post Eagleheart and I have a few reflections of my own.

It is very said to see us play the way we are right now.

This year I have been at live the
Canberra,Roosters,Sharks,Souths away games and most home games.

Those away games were some of the best away wins I have experienced in a long while. The boys in all those games were hungry and wanting to prove a point, they were as you said playing for each other and really happy.

Now we look nothing like that side. Something is a miss and if we don't fix it , it will be a long 5 weeks to go in the season for us.

One point on why I see this change is I think having our byes so early on in the season and so close together has really hurt us now. You look at the top 8 teams and apart from Penrith and us all other teams have had at least one bye in the later rounds after origin and they look fresh. Also our timing of our byes meant we did not get a chance to play sides weakened by origin.

We just look tired and I bet if we had a late season bye we would not be where we are now.

Like you finally , I really thought even if we dropped these last 2 games we would still make the 8 and get to week 2 of the finals and bow out, now things don't look so good for even making the 8 now.

It is a shame if we miss the finals now because we are better on our best day over a few sides currently there now. I think the pain will be for another week roosters by 20, then who knows.

Even if we don't make the 8 I want to see some pride back in the jersey over the coming weeks and not surrender so easily as we have done over the past 2 weeks.

After the Penrith game I was immensely proud of the commitment, effort and attitude we had in defense (without Jake, mind you).

I can't understand where that has gone, we're leading into finals and need to play accordingly, yet we see the opposite. No commitment in defense, slow around the ruck and dropping off more tackles in the last two games the we would have in the past two months.

I don't think media speculation in papers , TV and even on this forum about DCE and Trent and the NRL witch hunt has done much for player morale. It started when this **** started.

The form slump started against the Warriors in Perth. I think in that game Marty Taupau picked up an injury and he has struggled since and the big change is our ball control and missed tackles have risen steeply. This team has over achieved and there is still time to make the finals. It is going to require a big step up in attitude and application to get this done.!

yes I agree Marty has not been at his damaging best for at least the past two games .... he runs now with a stutter just before the defense, which greatly reduces his impact .... he is still our most damaging go forward man though .... which is one of our problems .... AFB is not mobile enough and has dropped in performance BJ gets bent back too much despite his speed & effort FW doesn't take it up enough ...... Lane (imho) should be getting more game time ... Jake looks like he could do with some R&R ... not as effective as he was pre SOO ... & we do miss Jorge's hit ups Kelly has been disappointing after a promising start ... DCE is hot & cold

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8