When and how did the form slump begin?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Interested in people's ideas as to the possible cause of our recent woeful form. Could it be:
We were punching above our weight and just ran out of legs?
Coincided with Kapow drop in impact?
DCE non origin selection?
Sironen injury?
Salary cap witch hunt?
Talk if Baz to dogs?
Bozo Hawaii trip?
Something else altogether?

Oops, I just started another thread with my reasons.

Personally, I think it's complacency. We grew complacent sitting in 3rd and all the positive media spin. Trouble is, once you get complacent, it's not as simple as turning on the positive attitude and winning again. The confidence is shot as a result of the whippings from the complacency...and playing a strong side like Melbourne is not the winnable match you need to turn your fortunes around.

It's too little too late to just decide to tear in and rejoin the winners circle. You have to fight tooth and nail to dig your way out once complacency sets in.

I believe we can do it! I do think we're short a prop and backrower but that was evident to me before our slump. It's the difference needed to beat a Melbourne, but we should still compete and beat some of the second tier teams with our current roster.

We seem to be just exhausted. Hard to be intense for 26 rounds.@:cool:

The ladder position helped Manly relax, thus the losses rolled in.:confused:

The good news is that it is all fixable. :)

Kapow drop in form!!!
Not doing all the simple things like holding the ball, wrapping up opposition ball, running in numbers with the ball, moving up in the defensive line, siro out injured, reserve grade back ups showing lack of depth, formation in attack gone missing, forwards not running hard and straight, aggression gone and so on

I do wonder if we started to believe our own press. And that does happen.

Hard to put my finger on it, but I almost feel it happened when the 'experts' stopped questioning us and saying we were a top 4 team.

The history of manly shows that we relish being written off and defying expectations. That's a pretty simple explanation but I think DCE, and the team were really loving proving the experts wrong. Maybe once we started to believe it, our application fell a percent or two and then that's had a snowball effect.

I wouldn't say our form has been all that bad - today Melbourne would've put on show no matter who they were playing and Saints had one of those days too.

I think we've probably punched above our weight this year, we've turned over something like 40 players in the past two years and with that we've lost plenty of experience not just individually but collectively as a unit.

Most of thought we could get into the top eight and when we went as high as 3rd, we dared to dream but unrealistically probably.

In the context of a 40-6 scoreline picking out one refereeing error seems petty but at 6-12 when Turbo took off with the 20m restart he was away, not saying he definitely scores but picks up 60m. Kaufusi was always offside and was the one that made the tackle, so a professional foul everyday of the week, Wright has his brain explosion next play and that was the game right there.

Our error compounded the refs error and that is why we are still a work in progress.

We need to play simple and build our way back up again. This is a great side although looks busted and has really lost their heart of late. They need to lift mentally and understand that it is NEVER ok to not play the 80

The bagging on here of the players.They get on here you know.
Well while they are taking the money weekly or monthly and we pay our membership dollars then we are entitled to question their performances.
Yes it's a tough game but so is my workplace.
Put in or p$@s off is what my boss tell me.

The Sirro injury plus a drop in form from Walker and Kelly. Lussick has not aimed up this season, and Kapow is showing signs of tiredness.
The biggest disappointment is the drop-off in tackling.
We have more misses than Singleton.

Personally, I don't think any team would have been able to stand up to the media **** storm that was generated by the Scam Smith w@nkfest today. I had to continually turn the sound off just to be able to stomach the game at all. No other team would have won today. Stop bagging our boys, we'll still make the 8, and that is despite the NRLs best intentions to destroy us. F@ck them all.

Fatigue, lack of depth and playing with injuries(as all clubs deal with) resulting in a lack of overall sharpness/directness, speed and team aggression.(Barrett could see it a mile a way, you could tell from the press conference against the Tigers he wasn't shocked---the dumbfounded look was more for show)

The resting of players with niggling injuries was evidence of this.

Manly haven't really won many (as many) games with the grind(like a Cronulla), it's been pockets/patches of up tempo effort and scoring sprees showing our punch and attacking potential.

Once the one out aggression tackles and lack of application in the tackles started creeping back in the performances have started to resemble what was on display at the start of the season.(Manly are flat)

With Melb you have to do everything at speed and not one out, over doing the one out runs or dummy half runs is not going to hurt Melb, they will compress dominate the wrestle and slow down every set.

Sharp, creative, structured at speed lateral spreads to stretch the defensive line, before direct power straightness through the middle hurts Melb---which will improve the offloads due to less gang tackle opportunities---easier said than done when the team is fatigued and flat at the moment.

Yes people will complain about playing too laterally and going sideways, but with good structured lateral play you can still play straight---Melb spread and remain straight.

Watch the numbers backing up the lead runner at the advantage line of Melb's go forward sets----a step/class above with a variety of options.

Last edited:
We were outplayed by both the Knights and the Tigers but won those matches.

That was your indicator we were in trouble.

The wins vs Sharks and Roosters were the indicators we could win this thing with a bit of luck.

Form slumps have been around since day dot. Hitting form at the business end of the season. Now that's a great thing. Still 5 round of the regular season to go folks.

We have been on a form slide for a while. But I think one of the biggest impacts was the Panthers game - the players did everything that match but were never given a chance. It feels like when a couple of calls go the wrong way the atmosphere seams to change and they stop playing the way they were earlier in the season.
At half time today I though we were definitely still in it (even though we weren't great) but a after couple of bad calls into the second we went from ordinary to &*!$ house.

Not having a back row all season has come back to bight the rest of the forwards.Props are looking tired and JakeT hasn't come back from Origin looking fresh,which is understandable

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8