What is Manly?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The loss against Easts didn't disturb me nearly as much as our pathetic showing against Doesntmatta last weekend.
Easts have the best team money can buy; Doesntmatta the worst.
The players didn't honour their jersey's last week. This week we were simply not good enough.

Manly to me means we never meekly surrender. Sure there are times we lose but we never make it easy and make the opposition work for it. If an opponent makes a break and is 20 m clear, we still chase hard....just in case. If the score is 20 nil against us, we keep trying and give them nothing. If we are leading 50 nil we try and make it 60 without conceding a point.

To me manly has always been about being a team that nobody wants to play, and whilst they hate us, deep down they respect us.

This year that has gone missing.

What is Manly?

"Hear that little voice inside ya head Butch? That's PRIDE, f**king witch ya"

I remember watching that movie years ago (and many times since) and thinking how such a thought applies to being a part of the Manly culture. We are hated, at times despised and bitterly envied by the supporters of other clubs: but always with a large measure of respect given, even grudging admiration for the club that's always there or thereabouts, and never, EVER gives in.

Above all, to be MANLY, is to be PROUD.

When people ask who you support, your chin goes up an inch and your chest swells with pride as you stand tall and declare "I AM A SEA EAGLE". There's no "second team", no fallback club, only other teams that'll play out the season. I'll watch, but only because I enjoy my football. I will care more about who loses than who wins, as there's certainly teams and players I DO NOT want to see win the thing. But with us out of contention I don't care who gets it to be honest.

I haven't actually watched the last two games: recorded them both as I was unable to watch live due to work commitments, but decided not to put myself through the terrible effort against Parramatta and this morning watched a classic Manly V Roosters rather than last night's game. For the record, it was '97 I think and we were down 18-0 at one stage before a gutsy comeback led by Tooves, Cliffy and Beaver et al. THAT.... That my friends is Manly. Chips were down and they never gave in until the bell was rung and Manly were victorious. That sort of pride has been sadly lacking in this year's team. The extra effort, the "one percenters", the panache and poetry of a finely tuned weapon of rugby league destruction that has but one goal: VICTORY.

I've found people pitying Manly this year. Pity? For MANLY? Get_farked.

We don't do pity. We are the bad guys. We are the team everyone (and I mean EVERYONE!!) hates. We are never someone's "second team". We are the team that above all else is universally the team in that quote: "I support "blah", and whomever is playing Manly".

Because we are MANLY. And everyone hates us.

And WE. DO. NOT. CARE.

We would never have it any other way. I was born into a Manly family, and have never strayed from my Manly roots. I'm 100% confident we will be back bigger and better in the next few seasons. I'm still angry about the treatment of Tooves but am well aware that it's nothing I can influence and as per usual I will accept the change and move on knowing that regardless of what's done there, Manly will always live on in the hearts and souls of the faithful.

In summary... Manly: pride, passion, determination, heart, unity and strength in the face of adversity.

That is Manly my friends.

WE are MANLY.

Despite last night and 2015 in general, Manly is the best rugby league team in the world. I am extremely proud to follow them.
Some of our players needs to re-channel the fighting spirit that is Manly. New players need to enter the fold and become what is Manly. Manly are winners against adversity.
Manly is Jamie Lyon, a Matai tackle, a Snake try and Cherry 40/20.
Manly is Geoff Toovey saying in last night's presser that he wished he could have turned back the clock, laced on the boots and played last night because he wasn't impressed with what the team dished up.
Manly needs to become a team again, without a scattering of ego-driven, grudge holding, divided individuals earning pay cheques. The parts need to come together and be a whole again. I believe this will happen.Change is coming.
Manly has been down before.
Manly will rise again.
We fans will be there.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8