What is Manly?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I think the worst thing about this year is, I've lost all sense of what is Manly. Is it just an idea now?
I've always known what Manly is.
Grit. Determination. Never Say Die. Tough. Do what it takes. Creative. Take no prisoners. Honour the jumper.
Players right back to Krilich, Igor, through Tooves, Menzies, and even BK (you never had to be here forever to embody it).
Of this current lot, I'm not sure who embodies it.
Killer, Matai, Snake, Matty Ballin, the Trbojevics, Jamie Buhrer definitely do.
Of the rest, I'm not so sure.
The big disappointment and where, to me, we lost our soul this year, was Foz. I really did think he was Manly and for him to be so off for much of the year and so easily walk away, left a bit of a hole in my understanding of what Manly is.
I hope next year that I see we are still Manly and not just an idea.
Thoughts?

I think the worst thing about this year is, I've lost all sense of what is Manly. Is it just an idea now?
Grit. Determination. Never Say Die. Tough. Do what it takes. Creative. Take no prisoners. Honour the jumper.
Players right back to Krilich, Igor, through Tooves, Menzies, and even BK (you never had to be here forever to embody it).
The big disappointment and where, to me, we lost our soul this year, was Foz. I really did think he was Manly and for him to be so off for much of the year and so easily walk away, left a bit of a hole in my understanding of what Manly is.
Thoughts?
Good post, personally I've got faith in Manly getting back to the top again and soon, if you look through the host of juniors we have coming through and the guys still under contract I see us definitely challenging within the next two to three seasons, like the proverbial Phoenix we have risen from the ashes of disappointment before so I'm going to put this season down as the hyphen between eras of success and enjoy the summer following our off season build up.

What we saw tonight was a spineless surrender. The team was so together and that's all gone now.

This season started out with players looking after their families and forgetting the family that made them.

End of this era and time for something new. If you want to see what being Manly is watch our Holden cup boys cause they have our culture in spades.

Excellent quote.
2015 was in some ways over before it begun! what happened in the first month of the season meant that we were looking down the barrel. shame that what was our strength became such a glaring weakness.

The pain is over now and the club can start 2016 with a fresh start with a new coach and where reputations need to be earnt rather than assumed!

Thoughts?

Top post! 'Honour the jumper' to me means that current players are custodians of the Manly tradition. The players you mention embody that spirit/tradition. What's happened this year is we've got a coach who also embodies that same spirit/tradition but a majority of the playing group and Board/owners that are totally devoid of it. Unfortunately, these days the club's survival relies on cashed-up private owners who only give a toss about their own private interests. The purge perpetrated by the Penns on Tooves and others is a case in point. Also agree with you about Foz. To me, prior to around August 2014, I thought he embodied the true Manly spirit. Apart from the last few weeks where he has had a dig, I've been sadly disappointed

Sadly I think we still do not have the fire power in the forwards to do a great deal of damage next year. I still say we mainly buy players from other clubs who aren't in the top class category that have that fear factor.
We need an intimidator like Randall, Carroll, Boyd, Gibbs who worry the opposition. Shows what we have when Jake T is our best and he is a rookie.

The year from hell is nearly over. There has been an incessant me-me focus in the media stories about Manly this year. Star players extensively shopping around for the highest bidder. Political infighting for one side or the other. etc. Undoubtedly we would have made the 8 except for an horrendous injury run. Yet without a strong team culture we would not be strong contenders to go all the way.

For whatever reason, it seems the generosity of spirit to focus on "what can I contribute" seems to have been surpassed, to an extent, by an individualistic "what can I get out of this" culture. Generosity of spirit is catching. So is miserliness of spirit. It seems a change is needed. Having the right cattle is an important ingredient. Getting the best out of that cattle is just as essential. And a modicum of luck is also necessary to go all the way.

Can Barrett be influential enough to make this change? Will there be strong forces elsewhere in the club that scupper, or support, true team spirit? I don't know, and will be keenly interested to see what changes happen next year.

This is Manly
bob-fulton-manly-sea-eagles-628.jpg

Unfortunately Toovey is right in the middle of Manly losing its identity of grit and determation.

Right or wrong decision, he signed off on not offering Glen Stewart a contract and moving him on. From that point our 2014 season started to crumble.
Do you really think Des would have handled it the same way.

The Penn's have systematically purged all entities involved directly in that decision making process, Toovey included. It is clear that Penn's mantra is FIOFO. Fair enough moving forward.

The simple fact is that Toovey might be a good coach, but he is not a good man manager. You need both in today's head coach.

It will take a couple more years but we will be back as one of the best.

Time to show our full support to Barrett and the Manly team for 2016 onwards.

We got owned across the paddock last night, and I can't see much different happening in 2016.

It will be a 5 year rebuild before we are a success again, and maybe our next decade is 2020-2030.

Until then some fair years but nothing outstanding.

We haven't bought one single match winner like RTS , and whilst I love them Killer, Skivvy and Snake will only get older and slower.

It will be " generation next" that will do it again

Unfortunately I'm not in the same room as you right now Xorb, because I would 'fit you' to the nearest window or doorframe. Where I am sure you would 'fit (right) in.'

I agree the organisation needs a fresh start. I don't know for a fact that Toovey is a bad man manager. Do you?

Well put, Mark.
Thinking about it, seems like we have been let down in recruitment since Cleal left.
All of the "names" you mentioned did not just appear as stars. They were spotted,signed and developed to become the rooster's stars.

Question is, where do you get a great recruiter?

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2