Upgrade Barrett now!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Probably the best comment in this thread to date, and the REAL reason we aren’t do very well.

I’ll admit Barrett is no genius but to label him as THE REASON we are where we are is bordering on laughable.

Our roster is poor by comparison to nearly every other side.

I think this is more due to our office / recruitment being an absolute mess from about 2014 on and the club desperate to get/keep some decent players paying too much and then being stuck with the cap into buying average players like Brown, Winterstein, Perrett, Jono Wright who lets face it wouldn’t make FG in probably 14 of the 16 sides.

We were, and still are , a very unappealing club to come to.

Oh sure beautiful place to live ( if you can afford it) but other than that very very little to offer other than a “ start”.

This is the core of our real problem, one Barrett has inherited NOT created!!
The recruitment has me completely beat. We have Kelly and Walker as centres and now Suli, and Tom Wright is seen as a centre. So an abundance of centres and a glaring deficiency in other areas.
Is there a change to the rules coming up where most centres win?

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
The recruitment has me completely beat. We have Kelly and Walker as centres and now Suli, and Tom Wright is seen as a centre. So an abundance of centres and a glaring deficiency in other areas.
The way I see it is like this feathered friend ......
We inherited Suli because he came at a price too good to refuse . So we only had 3 centres . Out of those 3 centres we only had 2 with NRL experience in Walker Kelly and out of those 2 we only have only one marquee centre in Walker .
Dylan Walker the centre of excellence !!!
dylan-walker_1w7wh1faptfee1943xn8zbmgl4.jpg

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member

At , what you would consider was end of the recruitment period .... eg the beginning of the pre-season we had ....

Halves .... DCE and Green .... the spares were ... Hastings, Croker, Metcalf, Cust, Tom Wright, Fainu and Lussick

Centres ... Walker and Kelly .... the spares were Parker, Tom Wright and the utility M. Wright ... with a ? mark over Walker .

At that time we still believed we had the money and spaces in our cap to fill .... our forward stocks looked good (until we lost 3 for the season) and our halves looked good until Green ****ed us, Hastings ****ed us and Croker got injured .... and GreenTurd stopped us from recruiting Pearce (ready to sign) Hodgo (willing to sign) ....

Centre was the position that looked like it needed building up at the beginning of the year ......

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
At , what you would consider was end of the recruitment period .... eg the beginning of the pre-season we had ....

Halves .... DCE and Green .... the spares were ... Hastings, Croker, Metcalf, Cust, Tom Wright, Fainu and Lussick

Centres ... Walker and Kelly .... the spares were Parker, Tom Wright and the utility M. Wright ... with a ? mark over Walker .

At that time we still believed we had the money and spaces in our cap to fill .... our forward stocks looked good (until we lost 3 for the season) and our halves looked good until Green ****ed us, Hastings ****ed us and Croker got injured .... and GreenTurd stopped us from recruiting Pearce (ready to sign) Hodgo (willing to sign) ....

Centre was the position that looked like it needed building up at the beginning of the year ......
Thanks Woodsie. Makes sense.

king2213

Reserve Grader
Funny you say that. Tooves never got the opportunity to mould the squad he wanted. When he finished 9th like McGregor did last year, he got fired.

Tooves inherited a good squad but an increasingly unworkable salary cap. The squad was aging and increasingly hampered by injury. Lyon, Matai, Snake and Watmough were all retired by the end of 2016.

Look at the squad we had for our last match in 2014 and you get an idea of the budget players we had to play with (hint: look at props):

1 Brett Stewart
15 Cheyse Blair
3 Jamie Lyon (c)
4 Steve Matai
5 Peta Hiku
6 Kieran Foran
7 Daly Cherry-Evans
8 Jason King
18 Daniel Harrison
10 Brenton Lawrence
11 Tom Symonds
12 Justin Horo
13 Dunamis Lui

Interchange
9 Jayden Hodges
14 Jesse Sene-Lefao
16 James Hasson
17 Josh Starling

That was one of my favourite games of all time even though we lost

Toovey tough

Paw93

Reserve Grader
Going out on a limb here but for the majority of the game we were chasing points and had to score. I can see why Daly would rather go for an attacking kick to try and score instead of getting a repeat set. In hindsight, the smart option is to get a repeat set and try again but it's a tough choice when you're chasing points and are running out of time to score them.

Having said that, I do agree that having another option to make that decision in attack would be great. Walker offers a genuine running option at 5/8 but both him and Tom need to add an extra kicking option too.

manly al

First Grader
Concede that there has been a few poor recruiting choices in recent seasons but i think that last week illustrated that there is still more then enough individual playing ability and quality to make our present or main playing rooster more then comparable with most other N R L squads . The Manly forwards had the better of the quite well rated Rooster"s pack , backs went O K with the exception of Tom T still being out of form and the limited ability of Matt Wright. So still essentially the same squad that were easily a top eight side last season . This season for Manly has been mainly highlighted with the unhelpful injury toll , too many key players under performing at the one time in some matches and the lack of presence of an established 5 / 8 [ hardly Barrett:s fault] . .For sure the side has generally played below potential and expectations this season and with the annoying tendency of poor ball control and lack of discipline but this is not really an indication or reflection of a below par playing squad or rooster , just a requirement for All concerned including Baz to somehow find improvement and more consistency .
Probably deserve to go to the naughty corner for a while for misspelling a roster for a rooster twice in the one post . Must be still affected with some disappointment that Manly did not make feather dusters out of the Roosters on Sunday .

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Kicking easy penalties early in the 2nd half against the Roosters would have been a smart play. Instead we started chasing the game when there was over 25 min to play. Stupid!!

king2213

Reserve Grader
Probably the best comment in this thread to date, and the REAL reason we aren’t do very well.

I’ll admit Barrett is no genius but to label him as THE REASON we are where we are is bordering on laughable.

Our roster is poor by comparison to nearly every other side.

I think this is more due to our office / recruitment being an absolute mess from about 2014 on and the club desperate to get/keep some decent players paying too much and then being stuck with the cap into buying average players like Brown, Winterstein, Perrett, Jono Wright who lets face it wouldn’t make FG in probably 14 of the 16 sides.

We were, and still are , a very unappealing club to come to.

Oh sure beautiful place to live ( if you can afford it) but other than that very very little to offer other than a “ start”.

This is the core of our real problem, one Barrett has inherited NOT created!!

Toovey inherited a problem

Baz has a very good side here this is his third year

This is disorganised rubbish with no discipline or cohesion

We have a $900 k full back $1m half back $600k centre Dylan Walker , test Lock Jake , Test Prop Marty Taupau, origin contenders hooker Api Koroisau

Why is everyone d3fending Barrett this a business

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Baz has a very good side here this is his third year

We have a $900 k full back $1m half back $600k centre Dylan Walker , test Lock Jake , Test Prop Marty Taupau, origin contenders hooker Api Koroisau

So, you are saying Barrett has done an excellent job putting this team together.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
Most of the problem we have, especially when it comes to having quality depth, is that over 50% of our salary cap is being taken up by just 7 players, one of whom is retired and no longer even at the club, and another is millions to play first grade again for us unless we literally have no choice.

DCE - $1.3m
Turbo - $900k
Jake - $800k
Kapow - $600k
Walks - $600k
Myles - $500k
Hastings - $340k

With a salary cap of $9.4 million (before the $330k penalty in both 2018 and 2019), those 7 players (23.33% of the NRL's required 30 player squad) take up $5.04 million or 53.62% of the salary cap.

Then there are others on good deals including Jorge, Thommo, Siro and Uate. It makes it hard to be able to afford decent depth, let alone quality. Unless of course you're Brisbane or the Rorters, then you can afford whoever you want.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Most of the problem we have, especially when it comes to having quality depth, is that over 50% of our salary cap is being taken up by just 7 players, one of whom is retired and no longer even at the club, and another is millions to play first grade again for us unless we literally have no choice.

DCE - $1.3m
Turbo - $900k
Jake - $800k
Kapow - $600k
Walks - $600k
Myles - $500k
Hastings - $340k

With a salary cap of $9.4 million (before the $330k penalty in both 2018 and 2019), those 7 players (23.33% of the NRL's required 30 player squad) take up $5.04 million or 53.62% of the salary cap.

Then there are others on good deals including Jorge, Thommo, Siro and Uate. It makes it hard to be able to afford decent depth, let alone quality. Unless of course you're Brisbane or the Rorters, then you can afford whoever you want.

But surely it’s ALL Barrett’s fault , isn’t it??

And yes with sarcasm firmly in cheek.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
11 8 3 75 20
12 9 3 70 20
12 8 4 100 18
12 7 5 64 16
12 7 5 57 16
12 7 5 -37 16
12 6 5 36 15
13 7 6 133 14
12 6 6 77 14