Trent Barrett as assistant coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Also how much autonomy they have in doing things their way.
Robinson had an apprenticeship at Catalan with reasonable results so had head coach experience, he went to The Roosters that needed a rebuild and obviously he got to back himself.
Coaches like Bellamy, Bennett and Hasler have the power to pick and choose where they go and put a broom through the place because they can.
Coaches like Tooves, Taylor, Athur etc don't have that luxury.

Look at the talk of Barrett only coaching us if DCE is still here, yep a lot of it is timing.
Then let Cherry go

We had a deadweight and Lyon in the halves the other night and almost beat nq

Coach gave them the gameplan to snatch the win but they've grown proficient at losing

If I was a head coach I would surround myself with as much quality staff as I could. Get all the help I could. It's to hard of a job for ego's . Not saying Barrett is the answer but it looks to me if tooves needs some help, especially with his interchange usage on game day.

Coach gave them the gameplan to snatch the win but they've grown proficient at losing
So, what was his 'gameplan' surrounding the selection of Hasson? Was it "We don't really need a 17th player, so we'll leave him on the bench and win with 16 men?"
Whoever is picking the side, and whoever is deciding on interchange options, should be replaced. If that's not Tooves then he has nothing to worry about.

So, what was his 'gameplan' surrounding the selection of Hasson? Was it "We don't really need a 17th player, so we'll leave him on the bench and win with 16 men?"
Whoever is picking the side, and whoever is deciding on interchange options, should be replaced. If that's not Tooves then he has nothing to worry about.
Totally agree we are playing teams that are using all there interchanges and there reserves are getting quality mins. Sick of seeing our tied team being run down.

So you want Hasson playing more minutes do you? Thank god you aren't coaching

Maybe Hodges has been deemed undercooked, have you seen our injury list? We need an A380 to carry them all

So you want Hasson playing more minutes do you? Thank god you aren't coaching

l
Gee, I thought I made myself clear - but you obviously didn't understand. So, to clarify what I've been saying in several posts: 1. Hasson is not first grade material. However, if he is selected someone obviously thinks he is. Therefore (2), they should give him sufficient time on the field to prove himself. Ten minutes here and there is (a) not fair to him and (b) a complete waste on a replacement when they should be picking Hodges.

Gee, I thought I made myself clear - but you obviously didn't understand. So, to clarify what I've been saying in several posts: 1. Hasson is not first grade material. However, if he is selected someone obviously thinks he is. Therefore (2), they should give him sufficient time on the field to prove himself. Ten minutes here and there is (a) not fair to him and (b) a complete waste on a replacement when they should be picking Hodges.
So a fat slow [edited by moderators - offensive term] scores a double and you want to take off our best defensive player for what is a defensive liability?

It could be horses for courses, against the cows I'd want the best defensive unit we have to offer

Last edited by a moderator:
Next Friday is D-Day for embattled Manly coach Geoff Toovey.

The word is that if the Sea Eagles don’t beat the Broncos at Suncorp Stadium, the club will move to sack Toovey – immediately.

Last month RLW wrote that Toovey had six games to save his career – in the five game since he has scored good wins over the Storm and the Knights but suffered three losses.

A fourth loss to the in form Broncos on their home turf – which seems likely – will be the final nail in Toovey’s coffin, with officials set to give the job to Trent Barrett.

Barrett is regarded as a coach of the future and has been heavily pushed to the Sea Eagles by his manager Wayne Beavis.

But you have to feel for Toovey.

He has given his heart and soul to Manly for over 20 years as a player and coach and has operated under extremely difficult circumstances this year.

The shock departures of halves Daly Cherry-Evans and Kieran Foran, combined with a mounting injury toll, has made it a nightmare season for Manly.

Sea Eagles officials recently guaranteed Toovey would see out the season – and it was then that his fate was sealed.

http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/moles-monday-scoops-44/

Didn't Carty coach the titans to a spoon. Sounds like exactly the sort of expertise we don't need ATM.
Please no! He had a long term coachi gig and achieved nothingof note - I never rated him. I'd rather Barret s at least there is a chance he could turn out to be gd, where we no Cartwright isn't
Ca

Agree it is pointless picking a reserve forward if he doesn't play sufficient minutes. This doesn't allow your key forwards enough time to recover. This is why we aren't finishing games strongly.
There are games when we don't Evan use our 10 rotations. How can you expect your forwads to compete against a pack that's had more rest. The game is to quick these days.
I hoped that tooves learnt his lesson in the gf against the roosters. They finished way stronger because of the way Robertson used his interchange. There key forwards were rested and on the park for the last 15 mins. We still had double the interchanges left and some tired forwads game lost.
Look at the amount of games we have lost late in the second half.

Hasson or Hodges - both have been whipping boys for us this season. Hasson for being ineffective and Hodges for hogging the ball as well as stifling our attack.

Hasson normally wouldn't be near the first grade side. But when you're missing Lawrence, Starling, Buhrer, JSL and Mateo then what else can you do? Apart from Hodges, there is no other forward in our NSW cup side that I'd want to pick.

Think Hodges is creative and adds some spark to the side - no disrespect to Ballin he had a good solid game th either night and got through a mountain of defensive work - 50plus tackles!! Hodges does offer a far more creative option and what we have lacked is scoring power of late, we just don't seem to be able to rack up a lot of points. Could Hodges have played half with foran at 6?

Re barret FFS he's the assistant coach at penrith - since when is that EVER been good enough for manly??? I don't care if he "is up and coming" he has done nothing. If the board has already made up its mind to sack tooves then at least replace him with someone decent - don't take the cheaper option, it didn't work with resigning the halves and won't work with the coaching the first grade team. The players, the fans, toovey but most importantly the CLUB deserve better - you don't appoint just anyone to coach MWSE.

Agree it is pointless picking a reserve forward if he doesn't play sufficient minutes. This doesn't allow your key forwards enough time to recover. This is why we aren't finishing games strongly.
There are games when we don't Evan use our 10 rotations. How can you expect your forwads to compete against a pack that's had more rest. The game is to quick these days.
I hoped that tooves learnt his lesson in the gf against the roosters. They finished way stronger because of the way Robertson used his interchange. There key forwards were rested and on the park for the last 15 mins. We still had double the interchanges left and some tired forwads game lost.
Look at the amount of games we have lost late in the second half.

Hang on a minute, Hasson came on in the last 15 and was fresh and defensively sound.
Both Lui and Leary had a good break in the 2nd half to give them a rest.
Symonds had more game time than had been planned as he came on to replace Matai.
At one stage I noticed we had Willie, Burgess and Ligi on at the same time and they were doing the job.
Surely bench rotation is as much as a formula as a "feel" thing. Do you really think that Green wanted to play Scott for 60mins unless he felt he needed him too?

According to NRL stats our bench played 48mins more than theirs.
They had two 80 min backrowers - and Mat Scott's 60.

I thought we finished the game strongly enough, it was just a desperate Cowboys last hurrah that did the job. Would it have been as badly criticised if it was five minutes earlier?

Taumalolo coming back to match fitness is the key to the Cowboys campaign - that will give them three 80 min forwards if required - and when he's on there's no better running forward in the game.

Depends what thread we read, it's Tooves' fault re bench rotation, Foz's for taking the tackle on the last, Matai for missing the last tackle, Lyon because he couldn't kick 3 from 3 from the sideline, Hasson for...just being Hasson, Hiku for whatever reason or DCE because he didn't play.

[QUOTE="Toddgothammered, post: 691900, member: 25058"

Re barret FFS he's the assistant coach at penrith - since when is that EVER been good enough for manly??? I don't care if he "is up and coming" he has done nothing. If the board has already made up its mind to sack tooves then at least replace him with someone decent - don't take the cheaper option, it didn't work with resigning the halves and won't work with the coaching the first grade team. The players, the fans, toovey but most importantly the CLUB deserve better - you don't appoint just anyone to coach MWSE.[/QUOTE]

To be up front, I'd be more than p!$$ed off if we shaft Tooves but your argument is rather dismissive - so apart from Tooves who is the best man for the job?

Clubs are starting to take the punt on "up and comers" and most aren't doing too badly
Green at the Cows - winning away from home and looking good
McFadden at the Warriors - and signing Luke and RTS
Robinson - won a comp
Maguire - won a comp

FFS - even Dessie was somewhat of a punt at first.

Granted Robbo and Maguire did their apprenticeship in the ESL but they were still a calculated punt from their respective albeit desperate clubs.

Hang on a minute, Hasson came on in the last 15 and was fresh and defensively sound.
Symonds had more game time than had been planned as he came on to replace Matai.
At one stage I noticed we had Willie, Burgess and Ligi on at the same time and they were doing the job.
Surely bench rotation is as much as a formula as a "feel" thing. Do you really think that Green wanted to play Scott for 60mins unless he felt he needed him too?

I thought we finished the game strongly enough, it was just a desperate Cowboys last hurrah that did the job. Would it have been as badly criticised if it was five minutes earlier?

Taumalolo coming back to match fitness is the key to the Cowboys campaign - that will give them three 80 min forwards if required - and when he's on there's no better running forward in the game.

Depends what thread we read, it's Tooves' fault re bench rotation, Foz's for taking the tackle on the last, Matai for missing the last tackle, Lyon because he couldn't kick 3 from 3 from the sideline, Hasson for...just being Hasson, Hiku for whatever reason or DCE because he didn't play.
Hassen played 13 min whats the point.

Hassen played 13 min whats the point. You don't play him for the last mins of the game. You use him to rest you key forwards so they are on the field for the last mins of the game. Did we use the 10 subs?.

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8