1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Travis Burns Role

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by PEPSI, May 27, 2007.

1. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I must say as the game wentr on, i just didnt know who Des was going to take off to get Travis on the field,

but it was interesting, in light of some of the discussions on this forum over the last few weeks that Travis came on, packed down in the scrums and played a bit of a back rowers role in attack and defence.

Just interesting i thought, i guess we where a forward down , it shows Des has great faith in his toughness and defence as the last 15 mins was a vital time for obvious reasons.

As previoulsy mentioned, in a few years time after some more work on the weights, he may make a great lock forward!

2. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +554 / 10
    Yeah, I'm willing to start throwing the "I told you so"'s around.

It just seems so obvious to me.

3. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    im just waiting to get accused of Drug Taking again buy one regular poster famous for his blinkered views with a lack of imagination. Seems like Dessie is on the same drugs! lol

4. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Yep, he replaced Williamson when he came on. Could turn into a very useful little utility. Maybe Des was giving him a test with the possibility Watmough may be out this week and he could start at Lock with Willo pushing up

5. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    noticed he packed into the scrums at 2nd Row!

like ive always maintained, while 5/8 is still possibly his ideal role, Dessie seems to like Killer at 5/8 so over time Travis may well develop into a handy lock-5/8

To me he is a bit like a smaller Braith Anasta, more of a runner than a passer. get into the Gym Burnsy!

6. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    :)

How long was he on the field?

7. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    15 mins or so I guess Byso, not sure to be honest,

but the point is unless he was going to play in the back row, he wasnt getting onto the field.

As my point was originally, he mayby should consider a switch or at least preparation to play in the back row if he wants more game time playing in manlys line up.

i know thats a bit left field for your vision.

8. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Yeah, I am starting to warm to Burns being a possibility at playing lock.

9. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    he does need to build up CIG, no question about that. Cant fault his defence or running game however and he isnt a natural ball player like a traditional 5/8 in my opinion.

10. CliffyIsGod

CliffyIsGod Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Exactly, Pepsi. He would have enough ball skills to make a decent lock.

Just needs the kilos.

11. byso

byso Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +83 / 0
    And height. Not a very imposing figure. I think he'd make a good hooker.

And Pepsi does everyone have to agree with you?

Are you still dirty because I didn't agree with your Idea of moving a game to Brookie because it was Beaver 250th game ;) You gotta admitt ytou were on some good **** then :) :) Just Jokes.

12. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That was a marketing masterstroke, cant believe you didnt grasp that ;)

hey the broncs swapped a game with is this year just because they thought it would be a **** crowd , so it cant be that hard!

13. Crushercleal

Crushercleal Active Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    What about Ballin? How the hell do we get HIM into the team if we're gonna play Matai. I know Monas provides us with another try-assist weapon, but geez, I'd still rather Ballin out there at Hooker.

14. Corso_Pete

Corso_Pete Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    They also payed Manly a bucket load of cash to do so, anything is possible if you have the money to do it.

15. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    I heard they paid us Pete.

16. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Tell that to Alan Tongue.

17. Nutzcraw

Nutzcraw Active Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Crusher,

Ballin's time is next year pending injuries.

I have said all along that Jamie Lyon will play 6 and that is where he is best.

I saw enough in the Canberra game to suggest he would be very damaging there... he still hasn't got there but if I had to point out a single moment where he showed what he can do from 6... go watch the canberra game and in the first half we get a scrum at about halfway. Ox feeds it and sends it 1 pass to Lyon.. Lyon puts a little move on and gets around his opposite number and draws in the centre and hence opening up an overlap. Bell and Matai could have a field day once Lyon gets going.

Travis should go to the backrow, perhaps with beaver getting on a bit and the fact G. Stewart and A. Watmough are both capable of playing 80... travis could interchange with beaver?

Backrow of

Menzies
    Watmough
    Stewart

And injecting Burns in there somewhere when 1 of them gets tired would tighten up that defence in the middle.

18. PEPSI

PEPSI Active Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    spot on Nutzy

mind you its happening a bit quicker than expected.

19. Duff

Duff Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +554 / 10
    It's funny how now, after the official signals have begun to point in that direction that this issue is being given some credit.

Three or four weeks ago, very few of you would even consider this.
    It's like training a dog by rubbing his nose in it.

20. Stuey Davis Socks

Stuey Davis Socks Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +179 / 3
    Tell that to Alan Tongue.
    [/quote]

And Dene Halatau