1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Toovey or Menzies

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by fLIP, Oct 7, 2011.

1. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Next season we're not going to benefit one iota from having a coach on the way out in 2013.

Before Des gets any ideas of luring DCE, Foran and the likes to the bulldogs, show him the door and put in a real legend. Someone who clearly bleeds maroon and white a little more than Des apparently does.

You know, I had him all wrong, I thought he was bigger man than this. Toovery or Beaver for mine. It has to be ex-manly, it has to be a legend, thats how we do it.

2. Ron E. Gibbs

Ron E. Gibbs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,437 / 12
    Given a choice, I always pick Beaver:)
    Besides, it might be the perfect opportunity to get him back to the club. Then again, like Tooves, he might not want to be a coach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 0
    Why would Beaver coach next year? He's still playing for Catalans.

Toovey is the most obvious successor to Des.

4. Cameron

Cameron Cambo Premium Member

Redcliffe
    Ratings:
    +662 / 35
    beaver will never be a head coach.
    he doesnt have the make up for it god love him

5. Volley

Volley Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +581 / 21
    Toovey's the only option. Hope he wants to coach.

6. Jolores

Jolores Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    This is spot on we can't have Des at the club luring players away. For a guy who said he didn't want to be a career coach and also said he didn't won't to coach against manly he can no longer be trusted in my mind

7. ads

ads Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 1
    Menzies could come back as captain/coach seeing he hasn't retired yet!

8. Rodo

Rodo Goldmember 2016 Tipping Competitor

Southern Sydney
    Ratings:
    +484 / 14
    Yeah I could never see Beaver being a coach. He's too nice a guy. Might be a good chance to give Cliffy a go.

9. Earnie the Eagle

Earnie the Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +359 / 16
    We will all know tomorrow (officially anyway)

I am available to coach, I have never lost a game as coach of the North Bourke under seven side.

10. southsideeagle

southsideeagle Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +407 / 9
    Toovs for sure .. lets face it he knows the game better then any one else .. u cant spend that amount of time on the ground during a match and not pick up different stuff!!!! I reckon he gets more minutes then George.

Leave Menzies as team builder, defence and social night organiser!!

11. EagleFromMay1967

EagleFromMay1967 In bed before the room got dark.

Blue Mountains these days
    Ratings:
    +1,212 / 44
    Yeah , Beaver for mine. Its always an ex-player at MWSE.

Beaver, the 'moral mentor' of the players. Always popular. Has a following that's for sure, the public as well as the club.

But does he have the tactical nouse ?, Does he have the cunning ?.

But yeah, it would be a better option than to lose "belief" like the St George turkeys . . post the Bennett announcement in May.

Why not Beaver: Head Coach. Tooves : Assistant Coach, especially the halves, backs, and he can continue in his role as field messenger.:)

12. The Who

The Who Well-Known Member

Mona Vale
    Ratings:
    +4,836 / 103
    I think some earlier posts about Des luring players to the Dogs is highly disrespectful to him.
    Gee, before today's news Des was next in line for Sainthood. Now people want him crucified.
    I think I've read that plot before in a popular book!

13. Masked Eagle

Masked Eagle Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 0
    Its not disrepectful, its a legitimate concern. Even if des isn't involved directly in contract negotiations, he will still be telling the dogs who he wants the club to chase. Do you think he'll tell the dogs he doesn't want any sea eagles players? Him still coaching us in 2012 is an advantage to the dogs in that scenario because the player will have questions in their own mind about the untried coach in 2013. If say toovs is coaching next year and things are still going well then its less likely a player will want to go. Do you dispute that?

14. Jolores

Jolores Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Are you serious in 2013 he wants to go to a successful team and could easily influence players or player to leave. The other problem is when we try to sign players mid next year they will ask who is our coach going to be. With our finances we need to plan our recruiting years ahead and we can't have Des involved when he is not going to be here

15. mwsneagle

mwsneagle Active Member

Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    Is Toovey staying? What support staff is Dessie supposed to be taking with him?

16. Jolores

Jolores Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    Crusher I think and maybe the strength and conditioning guy. I hope Crusher don't go

17. Umina Eagle

Umina Eagle New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Toovey I would say in 2013 and beaver will come back from England to Assist

18. 61-0

61-0 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Beaver as the next head coach would be an insane move and I'm sure he would think so too. He has no experience in coaching. He (love him as I do) was not a good captain of the team, so there's little to suggest he would have the mettle to be a good coach.

19. ALinda

ALinda Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +979 / 5
    What worries me about Toovs, having just voted for him to be re-elected an NRMA Director, is will he have the time to do both? Would think Beaver, with Toovs and Cliffy as assistants, ideal. (After all, Beaver and Cliffy were a good 'combination' as players - LOL.)

20. 61-0

61-0 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    NRMA Director is a bludge job, and Tooves' is term limited in two years (ie he'll have to resign then).