Toovey or Menzies

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
61-0 said:
ALinda said:
What worries me about Toovs, having just voted for him to be re-elected an NRMA Director, is will he have the time to do both? Would think Beaver, with Toovs and Cliffy as assistants, ideal. (After all, Beaver and Cliffy were a good 'combination' as players - LOL.)

NRMA Director is a bludge job, and Tooves' is term limited in two years (ie he'll have to resign then).

Yeah I'm sure he would put his hand up, anyone but vautin

61-0 said:
Beaver as the next head coach would be an insane move and I'm sure he would think so too. He has no experience in coaching. He (love him as I do) was not a good captain of the team, so there's little to suggest he would have the mettle to be a good coach.

I agree with you about Beaver being a coach but opposite about captain. He was an outstanding leader keeping us in many games by himself plenty of times. Remember the squad he was playing with at the time could be judged just about the weakest in our history and despite that he still hung around ...

For me i would definately pick tooves to be the head coach. I would employ cliffy as his assistant coach so that he can learn our structures. I would also offer beaver an assistants role , imagine him running the water around and relaying instructions. I ran into ben kennedy in the manly dressing rooms after the titans game this year, he might not be a bad forwards leader for our club.

Northern Rhino said:
For me i would definately pick tooves to be the head coach. I would employ cliffy as his assistant coach so that he can learn our structures. I would also offer beaver an assistants role , imagine him running the water around and relaying instructions. I ran into ben kennedy in the manly dressing rooms after the titans game this year, he might not be a bad forwards leader for our club.

Kennedy was quoted as saying with zorba gone he won't have anything to do with the club

The guy we had coaching our reserves on Sunshine Coast last year (forget his name) struck me as a good coach???. He took the side from near bottom of the table early in the year to win the comp.

north coast eagle said:
The guy we had coaching our reserves on Sunshine Coast last year (forget his name) struck me as a good coach???. He took the side from near bottom of the table early in the year to win the comp.

Brandon Costin I think

Jolores said:
north coast eagle said:

Brandon Costin I think

Thanks Jolores - yeah he seemed to command respect when I watched him interacting with the players. He could be worth considering as he has already worked with many of our current squad including DCE and Buhrer.

Tooves i'd have to say also,being on the board at nrma he'd have better communication skills with the players.

I think the other thing is he's been alongside des the last few years so he'd would have learned a bit.

Most of the articles being written now are suggesting Toovs is the front runner. About the only thing that has made sense in the last 72 hours.

Northern Rhino said:

My thoughts exactly. If Des leaves then Tooves as head coach, cliffy as assistant and if he is not playing another season OS Beaver as a trainer running the bottle - it wouldn't be a good look having Cliffy on the park with bottle in one hand, ciggy in the other :)

My main concern is that if the board is not removed quickly then neither Tooves, Cliffy, Beaver or any other ex Manly player from era will take the job out of respect for Des and Zorba.

I also agree with the OP in that Des should not be coaching us next year if he is going to the dogs in 2013. A year is a long time and new bonds and loyalties will be formed and someone like Tooves, our greatest ever leader on the field, is the man that can command the respect needed to succeed.

Regardless, we should all remember that history has shown time and again, nobody ever leaves Manly and exceeds the level of success they had when they were here. In fact, nine times out of ten they have a rapid fall from grace. We are the career makers, the dogs are career breakers.

Apparently, Tooves wants the job:

Before Manly's end-of-season presentation function last night, Toovey told the Herald there had been no indication to him that Hasler would not be coaching the Sea Eagles again next year. But Toovey is certainly interested in coaching Manly if the job becomes available.
''It's my ambition to be a first-grade coach,'' Toovey said. ''I've got the motivation and desire to do such a job. I've spoken to Des in the past about succession planning. I've served what you would call a lengthy apprenticeship, as a lower-grade coach and first-grade assistant.''

Surely that settles it, doesn't it? The idea of Ricky Stuart or Nathan Brown coaching the Eagles makes me want to vomit.

kinda missed this threa originally, but i would think now is the perfect time to get beaver back into the fold in some capacity at brookvale.. he more than any othe rplayer has been through the success-failure-success cycle and has made it through board reshuffles and shifting agendas.

his steadying influence could be exactly what the playing group and supporter base need, and im sure he still has ties all the way up the chain at manly.

what is he doing next year anyways? if he is in australia, he neds to be with manly in some way, shape or form.

Poor ol' Beaver didn't want to handle the Captaincy pressure so I cant picture him jumping in for the Coaching gig right away. Toovey seems like the natural successor and i would be happy with Tooves as the boss of the Eagles. A Tooves and Cliffy combo would really help cherry and foran too :)

The Who said:
I think some earlier posts about Des luring players to the Dogs is highly disrespectful to him.
Gee, before today's news Des was next in line for Sainthood. Now people want him crucified.
I think I've read that plot before in a popular book!

Spot on.

With regard to other posts why would Tooves be an assistant coach to Beaver? He has been Des' assistant and has servred his apprenticeship. He deserves the job and will be successful. What qualifications does Beaver have to be a coach? He just isn't a coach IMO. I also have similar doubts about Lyons.

north coast eagle said:
Jolores said:
north coast eagle said:

Brandon Costin I think

Thanks Jolores - yeah he seemed to command respect when I watched him interacting with the players. He could be worth considering as he has already worked with many of our current squad including DCE and Buhrer.

He set a fine example as a player. Yeah he'd make a great coach - NOT. Maybe he should change his name again.

I'd like to see Tooves at the helm assisted by Cliffy who has had some success this year coaching the A grade squad to a premiership for Narraweena. Cliffy has said that he would like to persue a coaching career in the NRL at some time in the future and this could be the right time to give him the call up. A lot would depend on the personal relationship between Geoff and Cliff, but if they are happy to work together, I think we have a winning combination just ready to commence.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6