Tom Wright: What a disappointment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
I got to the match at 12.30 specifically to watch this guy who many think is our future. Let me tell you, he's not.
He has the build of Hayne and even looks like him, but that's where the comparison ends.
He didn't beat one tackler, threw a heap of bad passes, missed tackles and looked like he should have been on a Contiki tour, so disinterested was he.
I'm so disappointed.
Mind you, most of his teammates were equally poor. They leaked 11 tries, some of them so simple it was almost comical. About the only players I saw today with some talent were Nos 2, 4, 7 and 11.
Let's hope we get some good players from Blacktown because our Under 20s are totally out of their depth.
PS: Anyone know what happened to the coach from last season?

I haven't seen him play so I welcome any reports. Hopefully he had the flu or something , plenty of clubs were chasing him. I don't get a chance to see the lower grades but I read with great interest last year about a wrecking ball in the 20's Dimitri? Rating coaches is to me very hard but players is another matter when I saw this bloke I wrote him off straight away. He looked nothing like a possible 1st grader to me which is not a go at how hard he tried. It was a bit like seeing the young Eadie's coming thru , they reminded me of the old man a bit, but more his last year not his first.

I got to the match at 12.30 specifically to watch this guy who many think is our future. Let me tell you, he's not.
He has the build of Hayne and even looks like him, but that's where the comparison ends.
He didn't beat one tackler, threw a heap of bad passes, missed tackles and looked like he should have been on a Contiki tour, so disinterested was he.
I'm so disappointed.
Mind you, most of his teammates were equally poor. They leaked 11 tries, some of them so simple it was almost comical. About the only players I saw today with some talent were Nos 2, 4, 7 and 11.
Let's hope we get some good players from Blacktown because our Under 20s are totally out of their depth.

Watched the game. Didn't get involved as much as usual. He does have potential i have seen him play a lot better. Still only 18 or 19. Him and hynes are the only players on that team which will push for nrl standard. Hynes looks good but both of them still another year off. Maybe Bainbridge as well. Big mobile unit

He was playing fullback and at times he was so far back that I thought he was playing FullStop.
I hope he is way better than he was today or else he'll not even make our Reserve grade..
One thing is certain; those video clips the kids make with the hip hop music showing how good they are are totally misleading.

Watched the game. Didn't get involved as much as usual. He does have potential i have seen him play a lot better. Still only 18 or 19. Him and hynes are the only players on that team which will push for nrl standard. Hynes looks good but both of them still another year off. Maybe Bainbridge as well. Big mobile unit
Hynes looked good ?did you see the shortkick he did that went back over our own goal line.bainbridge was clearly the only player out there for manly and if you don't see that your a very poor judge of league

Yeah Wright didn't impress me at all.
I thought tufui and wulf were our best but I noticed tufui was unable to make two consecutive tackles. Just seemed that the effort was too much.
Probably indicative of this competition in general.

It was a dreadful game of footy. We got dominated in the middle and never threatened except for a brief time at the start of the second half. The stats have us missing 57 tackles which is incredibly poor. Hard to call out one player. None on today's performance would be viewed as first graders. Thankfully one game does not a player make. I saw Wright against Newcastle and he carved them up. Was very good apparently again last week. Wrong call to say he didn't beat one tackler, I saw him beat many while the NRL stats has him with 8 tackle busts. He missed a tackle cold for an early try and positioning needs a lot of work, although if they plan to play him at 6 maybe that's not a priority. For what it's worth Bainbridge got through a mountain of work and scored off a good line. Defensively not his best game but gives everything. Price likewise and he too didn't have his best day defensively. These three I think have a long term future at the club. Hopefully they kick on.

I watched the full game today and the 20s team were pathetic, the assessment and thoughts about Tom Wright are a bit harsh. I have seen other games where he has done really well. Young player learning this game and we need to be patient. Yes he was poor today but in recent times there has been some decent performances. I repeat whom ever was responsible for decimating our Holden cup team needs to be accountable cause this team is dreadful!!

Playing fullback behind a team that leaked 11 tries is going to make anyone look ordinary . It takes nearly a full season back playing before one gets over a knee reconstruction - he's only 19 and I've seen him play live and was outstanding - give the kid a chance with a better team and you'll see the kid can play.

I'm so disappointed.

David Heath is assistant coach at west tigers nsw cup side

David Heath should never have been let go, this guy worked miracles in 2014 and 2015 when our 20s team were getting regular beltings like we have seen in recent times. He built something very special and our clubs failure to not only recognize that but to not retain or promote him has been a costly error.

This is a prime example where as a club we have lost our way. Bad decisions being made for the benefit of egos rather that what the club needs.

Our club owes David Heath a debt for the work he did and I really hope that he is a successful coach cause he turned **** to gold in his time here.

Tom Turbo managed to do it!
How many times did we leak 11 tries last year? Only penrith managed to put 40 on us. Look at the team Tommy T had in front of him. All the better players from this year, Bainbridge, Cox, Hynes etc plus Knight Demetriou, Ramien etc. he had big backs bringing the ball out and good forwards capatilising and holding the middle. Now I'm not saying wright is Turbo, definitely not at this stage of his development but Turbo had a far superior team to set the platform for him to do his magic. I remember many games also marvelling in Turbos attack and cursing his poor defending. Looking at his stats from last year he missed over 30% of his tackles. But as I said one game does not a player make. If wright ends up half as good as Turbo he will be a very good NRL player.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8