Tom Wright: What a disappointment

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Seems to me we are expecting far too much of Wright too early. This kid is 18, has played only a hand full of games this year, is acclimatising himself to Rugby League, having been a union convert, and is playing full back instead of 5/8 his usual position. He's also had a couple of serious injuries he's only now getting over

Wright isnt going to be a champion player next week either. He's learning the ropes. Some games he plays he's outstanding. Others, he's finding his feet. But this kid has the basics to make him something special. He has great speed, great swerving ability, a good sense of players near him to distribute, a good kicking game (can kick goals from the sideline).

I see him as coming into firsts some time next year, probably on the wing, where he'll be able to use his speed. He'll build up over the summer and I suspect surprise everyone next year. Certainly wont be playing full back for U20s, in what ever form that comp will have next year. That position will be reserved for Albert Hopoate, with brother Sione in the centres.

Seems to me we are expecting far too much of Wright too early. This kid is 18, has played only a hand full of games this year, is acclimatising himself to Rugby League, having been a union convert, and is playing full back instead of 5/8 his usual position. He's also had a couple of serious injuries he's only now getting over

Wright isnt going to be a champion player next week either. He's learning the ropes. Some games he plays he's outstanding. Others, he's finding his feet. But this kid has the basics to make him something special. He has great speed, great swerving ability, a good sense of players near him to distribute, a good kicking game (can kick goals from the sideline).

I see him as coming into firsts some time next year, probably on the wing, where he'll be able to use his speed. He'll build up over the summer and I suspect surprise everyone next year. Certainly wont be playing full back for U20s, in what ever form that comp will have next year. That position will be reserved for Albert Hopoate, with brother Sione in the centres.
Agree with what you have said bearfax although won't be seeing Albert in 20s anytime soon. Albert is 15 and you can't take the field in 20s until you are 17. Does look an exciting prospect though having watched him earlier this year in Matts.

Agree with what you have said bearfax although won't be seeing Albert in 20s anytime soon. Albert is 15 and you can't take the field in 20s until you are 17. Does look an exciting prospect though having watched him earlier this year in Matts.

Point taken.

Tom (Turbo, not Wright) is no different to 90% of the backline graduates from the U/20's competition. Can attack 'till the cows come home, but most can't defend to save themselves. Now, he is getting better at his defence, but its not going to happen overnight (I still think the best thing he can do is spend the off-season working on that and who better than his own brother who happens to be the games best tackler).

RTS, Blake Ferguson and Alex Johnston are others that come to mind who fall into that category. And the fact that RTS was last year rated the best fullback in rugby league is a frightening thing when his defensive game is non-existent.

I haven't seen Tom Wright play so I am going to reserve judgement there until I've seen him play a few games.

Sadly some of those comical tries scored against our 20's looked a lot like some that were scored against the first grade team.

This thread is a joke. Look at the facts.

1st year in league
Injuries have stunted any possible development
Playing in the worst 20's side in the comp.
No coaching structure at all
Young and learning his trade.

Put this kid in the north qld or penrith lower development grades and watch out.

Tommy T had a great side that made the GF around him so not fair comparison.

I will beat the same drum its a coaching structure issue right up to the nrl side. Nico, wright etc should be part training with the first grade side whenever they can to get a feeling for what it takes.

Look at what Hasler bought thru with recruitment and home grown. We dont have that at the club at the moment.

1st year in league

Put this kid in the north qld or penrith lower development grades and watch out.

Tommy T had a great side that made the GF around him so not fair comparison.

I will beat the same drum its a coaching structure issue right up to the nrl side. Nico, wright etc should be part training with the first grade side whenever they can to get a feeling for what it takes.

Look at what Hasler bought thru with recruitment and home grown. We dont have that at the club at the moment.

I thought Chad Randall was the next Wayne Bennett? A leader of men, and developer of Australian Representative talent.

1st year in league
No, it's not a joke. It stems from being so keen to see this kid play after all the rave reviews - and the 'superstar' video of his schoolboy exploits - that I got to the game before the gates opened just to watch him. He just didn't seem interested, and there looked like numerous Canberra players with much more ability than he showed.
I'd love to be proven wrong. But if you saw his performance you'd understand my disappointment. As one of the earlier posters said, perhaps he was suffering from the flu. I hope so, because this round was yet another one where we lost all three grades.

First and only time I've seen Wright play was on Saturday as well. Certainly not going to wipe the bloke on one performance, but he was disappointing. In particular, his passing was dreadful, which is one skill that is transferable between the codes. Anyway, there's wraps on him for a reason and he must be better than what he showed on Saturday.

He and Jonny Walker ( who has left ) Are rugby boys. Wright has time to get the hang of league or he might decide to go back to rugby

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6