Todd Greenberg

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
BOZO said:
bob dylan said:
Don't like his smugness but he has been great for the Dogs.

He targeted and got Benedict Arnold and his team.

He has fought hard to try and clean up the Dogs image, some idiot fans keep bringing him down here.

He at least has a plan and direction and appears to be in charge.

If the Dogs don't sign a decent playmaker they might be cannon fodder now the Storm have shown others how to beat them.
He is the King without the premiership crown bob !!!

It would make my day if the wheels fall off and they start pointing the finger at him.

Let's not forget Greenberg inherited the job from Malcolm Noad who was a very high profile News Limited stooge parachuted straight into the job from his role as NRL chairman. He used his contacts and profile to sort the place out and set up much of what Greenberg has to work with these days. Meanwhile at Brookie our CEO's had to deal with a dysfunctional board and were doing the job for more or less love, we didn't get any leg ups from the NRL or News.

Anyway Greenberg is on his third coach, struggled to find sponsors for much of 2009, and the club was in such a hole that he had to steal a "winning system" lock stock and barrel from us. You know what they say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I'm quite happy with what Grant Mayer, Lowey and Dave Perry have achieved for us over the last 5 years.

Perry and his team have done amazing things for our club. Hopefully it will keep going forward. You are right, we will never have the resources or crowds like the Dogs but if we keep making a profit things will be fine.

Darren said:
Gee, how bad is Greenburg? club gone from cellar to minor premiers, building a multi million dollar training centre with state of the art facilities, recruited the best young talent in the game, took the game's best junior recruiter, conditioner and coach from a club who while handbag arguing forget to re-sign the league's best coaching team and a leagues club who gets 6 million dollar grants.

Took a game to Mackay to spread the word and has brought the fans out of the woodwork (and buying merchandise at a record rate) jersey full of big dollar sponsors and meanwhile we had cutting edge execs like Magilla, Graham Lowe (taxi) and Pat Wilson (hmmm)

Lowey did get us on Maori tv for free though. :rolleyes:

No idea Mr Greenburg :dodgy::s

This is Greenburgs second attempt to throw money into a premiership campaign. First was the clean out post their 'spoon season and a huge player recruitment. They had a great 2009 and we read the same stuff as this year about his brilliance and how the Dogs were set for a big season....before it all went tits up (again) in '10 and '11.

Imagine what Manly would achieve with an additional $6mil per year from a Leagues Club!!! Even those CEOs you disparaged could have put together a successful office with that sort of coin in hand.

Greenburg has failed to build a culture and is at best a shrewd commercial operator with the backing of the kind of funds that no other Sydney club can access.

But for as long as he thinks money will solve all their issues, the Dogs will remain an inconsistant contender in the NRL.

Today he is looking like the Emperor without any clothes.

Or -

The Peter Doust for the second decade of the third millenium.

Huey, I'd be happy with inconsistently making the gf, minor premiers and topped all 3 grades??? (thought I heard that as well) We saw the 5 year plan we had. It takes time but so does a winning culture. Also, a winning team makes it.
If we had such a great culture we wouldn't have lost the best coaching staff and team in the country. They would have stayed for less and been signed up long term and not go through the drama's they did. Penn vs Perry vs Max vs Quantum vs Zorba vs Reilly. Where do we stop? No likeable culture there. This is embarrassing what has happened here! We would laugh ourselves silly if this was the Dogs!

Money talks, T-Rex was offered a good package from us but being around Des and more dollars clinched the deal. You could say what team would T-Rex rather play for in 2013? Doubt he would say us anymore. You only have culture when you are winning. Ifwe have a bad 2013 you will remember the early 2000's.

If money talks, as you say, then t-rex would say he'd rather play with the team that offered him the most money.

Matai, on the other hand, re-signed with us without a huge upgrade. (Didn't he take a pay cut? Can't remember.) He said something about loving Manly and the culture.

Lets face it he's a smart CEO, we can't deny that.

But he has massive funding from that leagues club of theirs, something that most clubs don,t get these days.

You have money you can afford to have the best of everything BUT doesn't mean you are going to win anything.....winning is all about " heart".

By the way a good CEO would have come out and said something about the riots and jersey burnings, that he hasn't says a lt!!!

I kept reading how happy T-Rex was at Manly but didn't make him stay. Stevie has been here a long time. Wife, kids etc so very settled. Foran was weighing up the Dogs before getting the 600k sign on. DCE said he would leave without a big upgrade. Most clubs have a good culture. Storm players love where they are. GI happy at Souffs etc. Gallen wouldn't leave.

We haven't had a bad season for awhile and that's is where you will see what type of culture we have. Look, Narrabeen and the beaches area is a great place to live but footy is a job, Des didn't move to live.

So are you trying to say we have a bad culture Darren? I am not sure what you are getting at.

no, but I think some are blind to it being the be all, end all. Bagging Greenburg is a laugh as his club will probably be the top of the nrl in members, dollars and staff. Bit like bagging out Collingwood.

The Storm culture is to be noticed. Who would have wanted Norrie, Lowrie, Jaiman Lowe, Hinchcliffe, Fa'aoso, Nielsen and Waqa at the start of the year? They played inspired footy, culture vs coach?

mickqld said:
Maybe he can go out and buy what the Storm have.....ohh that's right,cheating, they've already tried that one, didn't work either did it you dogs turds.

It did work, didn't it? They won the comp the next year without losing anyone and adding Andrew Ryan.

Darren said:
no, but I think some are blind to it being the be all, end all. Bagging Greenburg is a laugh as his club will probably be the top of the nrl in members, dollars and staff. Bit like bagging out Collingwood.

The Storm culture is to be noticed. Who would have wanted Norrie, Lowrie, Jaiman Lowe, Hinchcliffe, Fa'aoso, Nielsen and Waqa at the start of the year? They played inspired footy, culture vs coach?
Thats cool Darren Greenburgs club can have the dollars the mad members and all the staff he wants and we can have the Premierships .

Darren said:
Huey, I'd be happy with inconsistently making the gf, minor premiers and topped all 3 grades??? (thought I heard that as well) We saw the 5 year plan we had. It takes time but so does a winning culture. Also, a winning team makes it.
If we had such a great culture we wouldn't have lost the best coaching staff and team in the country. They would have stayed for less and been signed up long term and not go through the drama's they did. Penn vs Perry vs Max vs Quantum vs Zorba vs Reilly. Where do we stop? No likeable culture there. This is embarrassing what has happened here! We would laugh ourselves silly if this was the Dogs!

Money talks, T-Rex was offered a good package from us but being around Des and more dollars clinched the deal. You could say what team would T-Rex rather play for in 2013? Doubt he would say us anymore. You only have culture when you are winning. Ifwe have a bad 2013 you will remember the early 2000's.

Manly have achieved in the last 10 years what the Dogs can only wish, despite the Sea Eagles doing it on $6m per year less.

Greenburg (and their fans) can point to lower grade results all they want; they mean very little to NRL success as there is no trend towards a top grade Premiership and your lower grade setup. That is a fact and has been for over a decade.

And why did Manly rise from near death twice to win 2 GFs in 3 turnout, making finals every year since 2005? Certainly isn't the money. Why are we the only playing group that can retain over half a dozen top shelf players out of an era when we did suffer poor results? Money?

And T-Rex comes from a culture and generation that is driven largely by family, to the dollar. Loyalty to clubs and teammates comes second to opportunity and subsequent payrises. The raft of re-signings would suggest that there is nothing wrong with our club culture, despite your doom and gloom comments.

You seem to think that there is some sort of magic culture that a person can carry from one entity, and transplant into another. That's Greenburgs thinking as well, but when you look at the strengths of our current culture, you'll see that it is something that has been there for well over 40 years.

It is the one that sees our club as having the largest number of 200+ players in the top grade; it is the one that doesn't need to talk about being 'family' when we let our actions speak and see past legends return as coaches and inspire premierships; it's the one that sees Foran choose club over his loyalty to the coach that gave him a chance.

Canterbury used to have a real soul but they got greedy and started to look for shortcuts, beginning with Moore and Anderson taking the club to Super League. Since then it has pushed against it's histories and burnt any notion of 'fair play' or 'gamesmanship' it may have once had. It's heart is now a rotting lump of muscle that runs in fits and starts, at best.

You can worship Greenburg all you want but his actions on football matters are nothing to do with vision and building a culture. It is all about a gold star on his resume in the quickest time, with the funding to back up his big cash giveaway to tempt others into it.

You need a serious attitude adjustment if you actually believe that the Dogs have got something special going on, to the detriment of our great club.

Good points Huey but we weren't known as the Silvertails for nothing so we literally bought out a few clubs stars in 20th century. Lower grades are nothing in the end as you said. A bit of pride is the only thing I imagine it brings. We aren't worried with out lot that's for sure.

Foran, DCE and Brett are on huge dollars so imagine they would be very happy to stay. DCE demanding a pay rise or off to the Broncos was a shock though and not exactly brimming with culture there. Not sure about Foran taking months to sign but it seemed Reynolds came good and maybe that helped us re-sign Foran.

If you see what the Dogs are NOW building, it looks impressive. Just because an opposition CEO is doing a great job doesn't mean I worship him. Bellamy did a great job as well but I don't like him personally.

T-Rex issue: Family would have a big say but T-Rex would make final decision. He wanted to go, if he loved us so much I'm sure he would have put a few "big ones" in to say thanks for setting me up in NRL.

Can you ease up your DCE's accusations Darren, or at least provide a quote where he said anything of the sort?

Darren, I think you are confusing player managers whisper campaigns whilst trying to renegotiate a contract and maximise their %age of that contract, and the truth.

I never heard DCE say he wanted to go to Brisbane, I never heard Foran say he was going to Bulldogs, never heard Snake say he was going anywhere. In fact all I ever heard from them directly was how much they liked it at Manly and how much they wanted to stay.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
  • lsz
    First Grader

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8