Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
I don't understand how he can win a wrongful dismissal case but still be denied registration by the NRL. Evidently his actions weren't heinous enough for his contract to be torn up, yet they were bad enough to stop another from being registered?

Professional outfit, that NRL.

The problem Carney has is that he was never penalised sufficiently from the start, that obviously translated to him (a dumb idiot) that he could just carry on being an idiot, doing whatever he wanted with little or no comeback, geez gallop bent over backwards trying to turn him into a victim. All the weak arse punishment he received just created the problems he now faces. He has a rap sheet as long as your arm and finally received the ultimate punishment- banishment. Over in the UK/Europe he has still carried on like an idiot. There are people in life who are just never going to change and carney is one of them. I do believe however that if he had been pulled into line early on and made to sit on the sidelines whenever he stuffed up he may have stood a chance of redemption. The horse has bolted in this case however.

it will be interesting if the Pride win the intrust super cup in the Qrl will Carney be able to play in the NRL state championship? on GF day.

I don't understand how he can win a wrongful dismissal case but still be denied registration by the NRL. Evidently his actions weren't heinous enough for his contract to be torn up, yet they were bad enough to stop another from being registered?

Professional outfit, that NRL.
Yep, he's obviously got some good lawyers and since the NRL has made it clear he won't be able to get back in if I was him I'd be thinking it's time for a suit against the league for restriction of trade. Give Greenturd a real kick in the nuts.

The problem Carney has is that he was never penalised sufficiently from the start, that obviously translated to him (a dumb idiot) that he could just carry on being an idiot, doing whatever he wanted with little or no comeback, geez gallop bent over backwards trying to turn him into a victim. All the weak arse punishment he received just created the problems he now faces. He has a rap sheet as long as your arm and finally received the ultimate punishment- banishment. Over in the UK/Europe he has still carried on like an idiot. There are people in life who are just never going to change and carney is one of them. I do believe however that if he had been pulled into line early on and made to sit on the sidelines whenever he stuffed up he may have stood a chance of redemption. The horse has bolted in this case however.

It's Canberra. They cultivated some grade A ****wits during that time period.

For what it's worth, I think he's worth a punt. We have enough leaders at the club to keep him in check.

Get him on a 2 year barebones deal with as many club friendly clauses as you can fit in the contract.
  • One whiff of bad behaviour / negative influence and he's gone
  • Not performing = he's gone
  • More tatts (save for "Eagles Premiers 201X") = gone
  • Not sure if its allowed in the NRL, but as with most American pro sports, I'd love to see the club own his trade rights. If his stocks go up, but Croker kills it = use him as a trade chip, sell to the highest bidder and cash in on surplus value

For what it's worth, I think he's worth a punt. We have enough leaders at the club to keep him in check.

Get him on a 2 year barebones deal with as many club friendly clauses as you can fit in the contract.
  • One whiff of bad behaviour / negative influence and he's gone
  • Not performing = he's gone
  • More tatts (save for "Eagles Premiers 201X") = gone
  • Not sure if its allowed in the NRL, but as with most American pro sports, I'd love to see the club own his trade rights. If his stocks go up, but Croker kills it = use him as a trade chip, sell to the highest bidder and cash in on surplus value
Yeah he's certainly an excellent player when in form and he could really provide some spark for our backs. Trent has done well to revive the careers of a few already so I'm sure in the right environment Toddles could make a go of it. Interesting times but hopefully Croker stands up and this remains hypothetical.

To ask a silly question....

Has any club actually tried to register him yet? I am not talking about someone nameless source in a paper but an actual attempt at it

I don't really align with the thinking on this forum at the moment.

Carney is washed up rubbish who was rocks and diamonds even at his best which was 7-8 years ago.

And...

We are in a bit trouble as far as our roster goes for next year. No 5/8 and a shortage of quality props...

Carney is washed up rubbish who was rocks and diamonds even at his best which was 7-8 years ago.

And...

We are in a bit trouble as far as our roster goes for next year. No 5/8 and a shortage of quality props...
I’m with you on a)

Not so much on b)

If Hastings has really been released I think you may change your mind on part of b).

ZERO halves backup..now someone like Carney becomes VERY useful.
And now that we have officially denied rorting the cap and obviously have the proof we should soon have our salary cap space to buy an extra couple of players if there's any left to buy that is!!!

And...

Perrett
Lussick
Taupau
Fonua-Blake
Sipley
Paseka

????

Perrett
Lussick
Taupau
Fonua-Blake
Sipley
Paseka

????
To be fair he did say shortage of "Quality" props ,And at the moment true quality (Kapow) is 17% of that list .
If Lussick can regather his form from 2 years ago and become one of our aggressive leaders ,which I believe he can and will/barring anymore injury setbacks. (Injuries cruelled his 17 season )
Fonua Blake needs to take the next step this year and Sipley and Paseka are still untried and not NRL tested.
Dont see Perrett kicking on ,but happy to be proven wrong.
On a positive note maybe that list does consist of around 85-100% quality, lets hope so.

Last edited:
To be fair he did say shortage of "Quality" props ,And at the moment true quality (Kapow) is 17% of that list .
If Lussick can regather his form from 2 years ago and become one of our aggressive leaders ,which I believe he can and will/barring anymore injury setbacks. (Injuries cruelled his 17 season )
Fonua Blake needs to take the next step this year and Sipley and Paseka are still untried and not NRL tested.
Dont see Perrett kicking on ,but happy to be proven wrong.
On a positive note maybe that list does consist of around 85-100% quality, lets hope so.
I agree with you on Perrett and Hasler did not rate him either . The talk out Bulldogs way was that Pereett didn't make it as a top dog because he lacked a bit of mongrel . He plays like a gentle giant .
As you say robbiea , I hope he proves us wrong and makes a great contribution to our chances this year .

i think that one of Perrett"s good attributes that he could bring to the side is his off loading ability to create second phase play and off the bench when the intensity and quicker tempo reduces a bit . Manly definitely have the type of players who would benefit off second phase play . Incidentally Carney should be in action today when the Northern Pride play a trial .

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8