Todd Carney Combined Mega Thread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Did Todd Carney deserve to be sacked over his latest faux pas

• Yes

Votes: 53 39.6%
  • No

Votes: 76 56.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 5 3.7%

• Total voters
Judging on tooves saying halves won't come from within club I dare say there's a 5/8 still to come. I don't buy into the lyon 5/8. It's a stop gap when we should be pairing someone with cherry for the long haul.

Todd Carney's $3 million wrongful dismissal case against the Sharks is not being taken too seriously by the club.

In fact, it made an offer to pay $4000 in legal bills to make it go away. But that may be about to change after this column obtained a series of text messages that clearly suggest that due process was not carried out when punting him from the club.

Carney was told by the boss of the club at the time, Steve Noyce, on the day Carney's "bubbling" went viral that nothing would happen to him.

Thirty minutes after Carney spoke to Noyce, Sharks players received a text message letting them know Carney had been sacked. Carney learnt he was gone by reading the message on Wade Graham's phone.

Now for the first time, we can show you the text messages from Cronulla board member Craig Airey to Carney, where Airey claims the board was not consulted, and that there was support among board members for Carney.

Airey clearly has a soft spot for Carney, and not much time for Noyce. There was even talk of a plan to bring Carney back to the Sharks.

Here are the messages that followed Carney's sacking on June 29 last year.

■ Text received by Carney on July 1 at 7.12pm (from Airey):

"No I haven't I'm in London. I read an article this morning that said the board had decided to sack you. That's not true, it was decided by Keogh and Noyce. I was never asked for my opinion and either were a number of others on the board. This decision will have repercussions for our 'friend'. I am so sorry mate, I will do everything I possibly can, I'm back on the 19th July and be around to see you. If you need anything just contact me."

■ Text received by Carney on July 5 at 11.18am (from Airey):

"Ok mate, I'm in your corner I've run the past a few people I trust on the board and have their support, if your catching your manager, the idea is to get you to apologise to NRL, Club and Fans and take responsibility, (will need to get some wording), to enter some sort of counselling/Rehab (Sharks to Pay), to then have you involved in ordinary work, (my company, don't have to attended), then for Sharks to apply to NRL around Dec to have you reinstated around rounds 3 or 4 next year. Very rough outline at the moment and the less people know about it the better chance of success, I've had a long call with Keogh and he doesn't know I'm talking to you, but has agreed that if you can 'lay low, have no more f--k ups we may go back to NRL and see what happens', keep positive mate and hold your head high, if you were a nobody this wouldn't be a problem, don't let people look down at you, everyone's got something they regret, yours is just public."

■ Text received by Carney on July 5 at 11.18am (from Airey):

"Hi mate I've got the numbers on the board to support my reinstatement plan, just need to get it happening, I'm sure more than ever we can get you back for start of 15!"

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/texts-shed-light-on-todd-carneys-sacking-from-cronulla-sharks-20151024-gkhob6.html#ixzz3pYirD4nM
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

As of Wednesday last week TC was in a 'facility' on the GC, all part of the 'plan' I suspect.

Hasn't he just signed an extension to stay in the Super League. I would love to see him back in the NRL. He's worth one more risk. Just not sure if we can afford that risk.

it is probably something that happens at a lot of clubs - getting paid elsewhere for work that does not happen.
They're called "no-shows" and protection rackets use them to milk money out of construction and similar trades. The racketeer guarantees a trouble free job in return for "wages" paid to no-shows.

I ask the question is the Sharks board member a fit and proper person to be on the board if that is what he offered carney? In writing.

They're called "no-shows" and protection rackets use them to milk money out of construction and similar trades. The racketeer guarantees a trouble free job in return for "wages" paid to no-shows.

I ask the question is the Sharks board member a fit and proper person to be on the board if that is what he offered carney? In writing.

No he isn't, based on his idiotic belief that a scorned player would "do the right thing" by him and delete his texts. He has shown he is not smart enough to be involved in any of these types of dealings. In all honesty, it would have taken him longer to type all that out (leaving a trail of evidence) than it would have to have made a 30 second phone call. Dopey.

As for no shows, they have been part of the system forever. Usually a club will "hire" a players wife or girlfriend to work at the clubhouse or at a board members private business. It's a hard thing to monitor and I'm sure most clubs would do it. Being discreet is the key to it. Something the Sharks are not very good at, obviously.

Just had a bit of a chat with Todd. Suggested he'd look good in no6 for Manly...he laughed and said you never know!....seems like a nice guy....very humble.

I'm friends with Jason ferris and his family and he was a superstar footballer growing up in the cold part of nsw called glen innes . I remember him as a ball boy for our side and was killing it in the lower grades , rep etc. He made it in Sydney I think with the raiders and was understudy to Ricky Stuart and because of that fact he again I think moved to the Cowboys then on to the now defunct northern eagle's . Champion bloke so much potential but never quite lived up to what he could have been because of other outside influences. Reminds me of Todd Carney.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8