Time for the Bulldogs and Hasler to part ways

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
You are right there bones . She does have balls to make the tough calls
The fans are furious and are frothing at the mouth , Club legend Mortimer is pissed off and resigns but Hasler is still signed .
The drama is far from over at Belmore .
From the kennel .......

Guess our CEO is going to get away with murder, what I mean is she is slowly killing this once great club big time.
Cannot see Mr Dib and co looking at her, its lets get Des fair enough but make sure she walks out with him as well. . She has no idea about Rugby league and looking at it has no idea how to be in charge of a football club. Guess this comes down to the board who are now ****ting themselves because they know the club is going backwards

Membership is down, and by the way things are going this is constantly going to get worse,
Moral is down with with the players and the fans
the club is in turmoil
the juniors are not even looked at
the board don't get on, and are divided in their decisions
cannot lure players to our club
Finances have got to be defiantly effected and will continue to decline

Guess they are all scared of there positions and they should be, because fans are voting with their feet and their membership, they are loosing money big time I will not renew mine again, until she is gone as CEO.

If any other CEO ran a company like she has run us into the ground they would be gone

So if the board today have got the b---s they should make a statement, that this is unacceptable and get rid of her as well.

Lets see if the board do the right thing by all the members, if your going to do a clean out then do it properly.

THE CLUB IS IN A PATHETIC STATE AND ITS NOT JUST DES, ITS YOUR CEO, AND ALSO YOU THE BOARD
FOR LETTING THIS HAPPEN AND SITTING ON YOUR HANDS AND DOING NOTHING TILL ITS TO LATE.

WELL THEN WAKE UP AND MAKE THIS RIGHT, SO WE CAN ALL GO BACK AND SUPPORT THIS ONCE
GREAT CLUB
At least they're not ****ting on their Immortal.
Oh I forgot.. they don't have one.

Ah yes I can see the media reports mid season
a) Manly play well, Dogs play well, Barrett safe Hasler safe
b) Manly play well. Dogs play poorly. Barrett safe. Hasler to St George
c) Manly play poorly Dogs play well. Barrett to St George, Hasler safe. heaven knows who we get
d) Manly play poorly. Dogs play poorly. Barrett to St George, Hasler to Manly

Hey but dont fret. No matter what, Fulton will keep his job.

Steve Mortimer "I'm disappointed, but I stand by my word. Des is a nice enough guy but he doesn't understand our clubs culture. But because I love this club so much I'm not giving up on it, so I've booked the boys into a Coffs Harbour hotel so they can bond like we used to."

Des Hasler "Look Steve is entitled to his opinion and being a club legend I guess he has the wright to say something. He has been kind enough to book the Coffs Hotel for us all. Now I just need to find a young intoxicated woman swimming in the pool. I've also asked a few ex players to come along and show us how to find this culture, but unfortunately some are in the Australian camp.

Steve Mortimer "Des and I shook hands and it's all done now. Bring on Coffs."

It's been a while since we've seen a media report that says that!!

Sorry I was obviously being obtuse. What I was trying to say was that what we will read happening will be one of the four mentioned, not that they will state those four verbatim. In other words mid season, one of those situations will occur, resulting in the actions mentioned. That's what we have to look forward to reading about mid season '17

Steve Mortimer "I'm disappointed, but I stand by my word. Des is a nice enough guy but he doesn't understand our clubs culture. But because I love this club so much I'm not giving up on it, so I've booked the boys into a Coffs Harbour hotel so they can bond like we used to."

Des Hasler "Look Steve is entitled to his opinion and being a club legend I guess he has the wright to say something. He has been kind enough to book the Coffs Hotel for us all. Now I just need to find a young intoxicated woman swimming in the pool. I've also asked a few ex players to come along and show us how to find this culture, but unfortunately some are in the Australian camp.

Steve Mortimer "Des and I shook hands and it's all done now. Bring on Coffs."
Not one laugh from this one??? Tough crowd.

The reality that is Donald Trump probably means people aren't inclined to laugh at sexual assault, just for the moment...

The UNBELIEVABLE Contract Clause Which Could See Hasler Become A Free Agent On 1 November
There are reports that the Des Hasler contract debacle is still not resolved, with some very strict contract clauses remaining matters of contention.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Hasler is subject to some stringent KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) which indicate that he can be sacked immediately if he fails to get the Bulldogs to the top four next season.

These KPIs reportedly feature in the proposed contract extension for 2018, and the club has 17 days to clean up the deal or Hasler will become a free agent, according to the Daily Telegraph.

The resignation of Steve Mortimer during the week has inclined the view that a Hasler contract extension until the end of 2019 is still on the cards, but the KPI issue is allegedly causing a bit of a stalemate in negotiations.

Hasler has an impeccable record at the club since moving from Manly in 2012, taking them to grand finals in 2012 and 2014, and making the top eight each season under his reign.

However, as suggested by former Bulldog Mick Ennis on the Triple M NRL Rush Hour this week, the fact that Hasler is yet to deliver any silverware to Belmore is an issue.

"When I left...the Bulldogs said they wanted to win two grand finals before 2019 and spoke about being the best sporting club in Australia," Ennis said.

Des Hasler will get Canterbury Bulldogs back on track, says Warren Ryan

Hasler remains, Mortimer resigns

Canterbury coaching great Warren Ryan says the club has put "unnecessary pressure" on Des Hasler, but believes the two-time premiership-winning mentor is capable of making the changes required to transform the Bulldogs into genuine title contenders next year.

Hasler survived the threat of the axe at an emergency board meeting at ANZ Stadium on Friday, at which directors discussed the clipboard holder's future. However, legendary clubman Steve Mortimer stood down as a director, a consequence of his decision to publicly question Hasler's suitability for the role.

Hasler is guaranteed to see out the final year of his contract, although speculation will continue about his long-term future after the board held off on ratifying a two-year contract extension.

Ryan, who won back-to-back titles coaching Canterbury in 1984-85, said Hasler was capable of making the adjustments required to the side's "ponderous" playing style.

"They have put unnecessary pressure on Des, but he will sort out the necessary steps to play a brand of football that is a bit more threatening than the one they are currently playing," Ryan said.

"They look ponderous at the moment because their play is too forward dominated. Their halves have got to do more, blind Freddie can see that.

"Des is smart enough to get it happening because his record shows he's a successful coach. If Blind Freddie can see the problem, I'm sure Des can."

Hasler has coached the side to five consecutive finals appearances, including two grand finals. However, the inability to win a premiership during that period, coupled with Mortimer's observation the club was "losing our DNA" with Hasler at the helm, increased the pressure on the former Manly mentor.

Hasler will now need to adhere to a stricter budget and will have less control over all operations of the football program. However, it is the playing style that will likely require the greatest overhaul.

Ryan said it was necessary to fast-track the development of Moses Mbye into a dominant halfback and give his skilful forwards, such as James Graham, more options when carrying the ball.

"He used to have an inside option, a short option on the outside of his hip and one at the back if needed. He's going to the line on his own now when he can ball play.

"The development of the half [Mbye] is most important. He hasn't developed under the regime of forward-dominated play. When he does cut loose, he has speed, so he can provide quite an injection of attack to the team that was missing.

"Des is smart and will sort out what is required, so you will see a better performance from them next year."

Mortimer will remain a director on the Canterbury Leagues Club board and has also agreed to remain involved with the club via an alumni program Hasler will oversee to mentor younger players. Mortimer's departure has left a vacancy on the Bulldogs board that is expected to be filled during the off-season.

The Bulldogs will have some important recruitment and retention decisions to make going forward, although it is unclear with whom they will rest. Former talent spotters Noel Cleal and Jim Whitney have left the club and replacements are yet to be named.

Former NSW pivot Josh Reynolds headlines a list of key players off contract at the end of next year that includes fullback Will Hopoate, hooker Michael Lichaa and prop Aiden Tolman.

Des Hasler's biggest issue at the Canterbury Bulldogs is the predictability of their attack
A senior player said something to me a few months ago and it would've had Peter "Bullfrog" Moore turning in his grave, a tear running down the cheek of Peter Kelly and Terry Lamb's forearm looking to coathanger, well, anything …

So said the player on the eve of this year's finals: "We love playing the Bulldogs. You know exactly what to expect. You know exactly what they're going to do. It's the easiest attack in the competition to defend against."

That's the biggest issue at Belmore in the next six months.

It isn't about coach Des Hasler apparently not understanding the mysterious "Bulldogs DNA", as Steve Mortimer put it last week to Fairfax Media, ultimately costing him his position on the board.

It isn't about some of the remaining directors being jittery about whether a contract extension for Hasler is warranted.

It isn't even about the lack of success from their juniors and some of the dubious recruitment decisions in recent years and the disaster that was T-Rex and the case of Will Hopoate, the fullback who won't play on Sundays for religious beliefs.
He'd been savaged by Mortimer publicly, had top-four stipulations put on any contract extension and had already been told who his coaching staff must be in 2017, the final year of his five-year deal at the club.

How could it remain tenable?

As colleague Danny Weidler wrote in theSun-Herald, many of the issues at the Bulldogs are about power. Des had all of it at Manly, has sort of had it at the Bulldogs after two grand final appearances, and now the board wants it back.

So, evidently, there's about $1.2 million reasons how it could remain tenable because there is no way the Bulldogs were going to pay out that amount for the final year of Hasler's current contract - and there was no way he was going to leave with a cent less.

Hasler is famously shrewd with his money but he also has one of the best operators in the business - the experienced player manager George Mimis - in his corner.

Negotiations on a contract extension have been going for six months, but they ebbed and flowed with the Bulldogs' indifferent performances in 2016.

Like most NRL clubs, the Bulldogs have felt the pinch this year.

They have one of the largest spends in the NRL on their football department, such is Hasler's desire to be on the cutting edge of technology and methodology.

For example, they have about 10 cameras around Belmore to capture what happens at training. The Gold Coast Titans use their social media guy to record their sessions.

The football club is fortunate because it has one of the game's wealthiest leagues clubs around the corner from Belmore Sportsground, but it can only write so many cheques.

In the end, it was Mortimer's very bold and very brave but very naïve public comments that placed the club in a position of weakness going into the Hasler showdown. By going after Hasler so publicly, it meant last Friday's meeting was about keeping the coach or pushing out a director, albeit a club legend.

Mortimer - bless him - fell on his sword. He really had no other choice.

So now the Bulldogs have no choice: make it work with Hasler next year or face the wrath of those who matter most - the fans.

The club issued a media release late on Friday and made all the right noises about being "a deep threat into the finals in 2017".

Some former players are already wondering out loud if they will make the eight.

You can certainly bet that Bulldogs members will be looking for something more than what was thrown up at the pointy end of the last season.

The deficiencies in attack were there for all to see: forwards dominating the attack, the side's international backs failing to get the ball early, with opposition defensive lines already up on them, snuffing out the play before anything could really get going.

I know the final-round match against South Sydney was played in greasy conditions at ANZ Stadium, but the lack of footy played by the Bulldogs that night, on the eve of the finals, said so much.

In the first week of the finals, they played Penrith and early on it looked like the Doggies' strategy was to simply bore one of the most entertaining teams in the competition to death.

Early on, it looked to be working … then the Panthers ran out 28-12 winners.

Better judges of football than this one look at the Bulldogs and despair.

They see Josh Reynolds and insist he's a hooker, with all his raw energy and emotion. They certainly think he's a better option than Michael Lichaa.

They see Moses Mbye and know he's a natural, running five-eighth … who rarely gets to play like one.

Then they see James Graham and Aidan Tolman touching the ball within the attacking 25-metre zone … and it's like picking up the phone and listening to the dial tone.

The club is on the hunt for another half, but aren't they all? They sat down with Kieran Foran a few months ago and knew something the Warriors seem to be missing - that he's a long way off being ready to return to the cut and thrust of the NRL.

It will be interesting to see what Hasler does in the warmer months. Does he stick with the same "processes and systems" or revolutionise the way the Bulldogs play?

Because we're all watching.

Every club has a score of former players with an opinion but when you've had as much success as the Bulldogs in the last 35 years, there's quite a few with stronger opinions than most.

They look at the current team and they see don't see a team like the ones they once played in: train harder than anyone else, play harder than anyone else, win more than anyone else.

It might sound like hyperbole but they come from a club that knew no other way; that produced a team nobody wanted to play against.

To all the unhappy Manly supporters .......
The grass is not always greener on the other side .
e6ca5e73aa3ff1aa9627cb61a1dbe784.jpg

Not posting this to lol at dogz.... change some names & it could have been Eagles.
"Revelation" post from kennel:

Ok...apologies for the lengthy delay in adding to this thread.
This is going to be a long one but should be read by all because it is frighteningly accurate and i assure direct from the players mouth.

This morning i had the horror of hearing what exactly is happening at the club right now and appears to have been for some time now.
Some time ago a thread was posted asking about a young kid (whos name i wont mention) who was making great progress at the Bulldogs. He had a union background and was very much a hot property item within some league circles including Raiders, Roosters, Bulldogs, Tigers, Eels and Warriors...the Bulldogs got him thanks in part to his family connections with many high profile sports people and a long association with Noel Cleal.
This kids father is also an ex international for NZ and is currently certified to be a super rugby coach if he wanted, he has a real understanding of both codes and can spot talent a mile away according to many, this is his son who the Bulldogs recruited and whilst he obviously supports his son he knows he is a super talent. They have another son who is good but nowhere near this kid.
Cop this, he is a fullback through and through and made no secret of it and was recruited as a centre/fullback.
This kid (19 years old) was training in the off season with the NRL squad, so well was he going, he was the fastest player in the club bar nobody and really has it all. 98kgs, 6ft 2, runs like the wind, great hands and vision...in fact the Roosters tried to pouch him earlier this year.
The Bulldogs recognised him as making great progress and signed him to a 2 year deal, but on low money as they claimed to all that they had 'no funds' and the cap space was hopeless.
The month following his signature he was promoted as a winger, he played 6 games and was told he did everything asked of him but he didnt like playing wing and felt he was of better use to the club elsewhere. He had been earmarked as Josh Morris replacement expected to be in 2019.
The father then chimed in and started saying that the club coaches and trainers are completely clueless and have no idea who to teach skills. The players are completely unfit and apparently some of the long term first graders started telling the new trainers that they won't be doing any of the things being introduced.
Donny Singe hates the place and cant wait to leave along with at least 4 other trainers and there is massive division between the teams, confirmed big time. These guys were amazed the club functioned at all, it is such a bad 'toxic' environment and has been for a while but appears to be getting worse.
But the final comments were left for Hasler and Dymock.
After every other scout and coach who had seen this kid play and tried to poach him on a number of occasions, Dymock and Hasler told him via another coach (not even a sit down) that he lacked skills to be a NRL player at Canterbury and would need to develop some skills.
This kid is loaded with skill.
The father says straight up that Hasler and Dymock are completely clueless in regards to coaching and recruitment and Hasler especially is coaching from another era.
The Bulldogs have now lost their 4 best ip and comers who have all walked out during this season for similar reasons, another big ip and comer will be also quitting at seasons end.
According to these guys today the club is a dire straits and needs a complete clean out to rid the place of the toxic environment it has become.
There were other things told to me but i seriously felt sick listening and he could have gone on for hours it seemed.

He also added that there was a terrible culture from some of the older trainers to belittle the young players which was supposed to inspire them to be better but 2 players walked out and didnt return, it was so bad,

Ok i will stop now but the summary is that the players stopped playing for Hasler months ago, the senior players have been extremely pissed off for some time, the Reynolds departure hit harder than anyone cares to say within the group and the re-signing of Hopoate went over like a led balloon within the team. They have lost any good prospects that were there and there is massive change coming.

Sorry again for the long message but i have more to say but all similar to above really.
I have been so depressed today knowing what many have thought for some time is real.
We are a rabble.

Final note is that they believe Hasler has to go and will be sacked at seasons end or they will be losing some huge names who have had it with him.

The story goes that they have made a decision to get someone else but are considering options and Pay was not considered the man to fix this mess as it is.
I forgot to add about Toovey, he is good friends with this boys dad and confirmed Hasler cannot coach these days and simply rode the coat tails of the excellent squad that was at Manly at the time.
He cant believe that Hasler has hoodwinked the dogs for so long.

Last edited:
At one stage before he did the dirty on us after the 2011 GF, Hasler was being touted as a possible NSW or even Australian test coach. Now he is fighting just to keep his job as an NRL coach.

What club would have him now? And TBH there are probably only 2 or 3 clubs who might be in the market for a new coach.....Gold Coast, Warriors and maybe Newcastle (though I think that 3 in a row might have saved Brown)

How the mighty have fallen.

I remember the rumours that they players thought he was past iT while still here and ran their own sessions and game plans.
For the record Hasler was not a good soccer coach.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 3 5 -55 8