Thurston spray

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

jbb/james

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
No this isnt another form if glen 20 or toilet sanitiser, rather its yet another blight on the game from one if the most influential players in the game. For a few years the cowboys and thurston seem to be untouchable with there constant attack on officials. Last night after the game it was clear this unchecked attitude seems to make him believe he is above sanction.

Not sure what policies the players have to adhere to compared to coaches but its been made clear many times that the refs have to tell them anything.

He overstepped as they have up north many times. They cried themselves a premiership, but unless the nrl do something publicly about this, it is certain to continue and to catch on with the other clubs. Im not saying he should be hung from the rafters but the Nrl need to make it clear that they wont tolerate his attitude like they dont with other clubs

But in saying that, your going to get that when you interview players directly after drama.

Disclaimer ive used the term hung from the rafters, its an expression, its not about any other social issues, but im sure it will upset someone somehow. Dont blame me, blame your parents for raising a whiney bitch.

The Bunker made a decision that we all heard on TV that JT knocked on.
So why did the Ref say to JT that he didn't know who the knock on was against?
For once, JT is right in saying that he should have been conveyed the ruling.:wondering:

It makes good TV to have onfield interviews, I don't know how anyone can hold it together at such an emotive time :confused:

#QueenslandConspiracy

To be fair the Cowboys were royally screwed in a couple of semis with dud calls. That's why the nrl didn't sanction back then as they know they stuffed up. I have no issue with his spray. Nothing like the good friday clash with officials last year. That is a bad look. Not what Thurston did.

I thought there was going to be a worse call in the souffs game with the Oldfield bat back before they went for obstruction.

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 9.26.00 am.png

I support JT 100% in his comments - and that was before this image came to light.

There is a fundamental flaw in the bunker's benefit of doubt system.

Fair enough that there needs to be definitive evidence to overrule a referee decision. But what was the referee's decision? Did the referee even tell the bunker why the try was disallowed? Who did the referees rule knocked on? Thurston? The winger? Did they even communicate this? I didn't hear it. And based on what the commentators said, neither did they.

When overturning a referee decision, the definitive evidence needed for overrule of "no try" obviously should apply ONLY to the specific infringement that led to the referee decision, not to everything in the lead-up. Why? Because the referee has already decided these other things were OK and the bunker would be overruling the ref (& other ref/touchies) if they found a different decision.

That the refs didn't even know if the bunker had overruled their decision(s) or not is evidence the system has failed. Very, very sloppy.

I didn't see the game last night so can't comment on this specific, but in my opinion Thurston gets away with murder. How many other players would get away with saying there was a conspiracy against his team? And so what if his team copped a few rough decisions? So that justifies his behaviour? Should the NRL put out an edict you can't criticise refs, unless you copped a bad decision and then you can not only criticise the decision but say it's a premeditated conspiracy?

Thurston is a great player, but I get annoyed at times how he is portrayed as happy go lucky JT. Off the field that may be the case, but I have rarely watched a cows games where he didn't just go nuts at the ref or officials.

The Cowboys were robbed. They were the better side.
The Thurston try was a try. The reason it was ruled 'no try' is this slowing down of the action to a ridiculous micro-second when things the naked eye can't see look like they have happened.
Until recently sport was adjudicated by the naked eye. If it looked like a try on first viewing then it was a try. There must be thousands of times in the past that tries would be ruled 'no try' because of the slow-mo.
I'm anti-video ref, although I could reluctantly agree with it if there was no slow-mo and everything happened at real speed.
The Kapow high tackle doesn't look nearly as sinister at true speed but all you see is the micro image that makes it look like he had plenty of time to pull out of the tackle.

How come you never hear from Thurston when dubious calls go the Cowboys' way? That does happen you know.

If Tooves got a fine for his "investigation" interview then Thurston should have racked up about $100k in fines by now.

What did Thurston say?
After he scored the try in extra time it went to the bunker, then came back as a knock on.
JT asked the Ref what and who was the readon for the No Try and the Ref said knock on but he didn't know by who (Feldt or JT).
As we all heard JT, he was perplexed in the interview for not getting an answer.

The whole point of the Bunker is the transparency of a ruling, that's why they broadcast the audio.

JT was calm, compared to the 7 tackle semi knockout IMO or the infamous Hand Of Foz @:cool:

• 📚
Reactions: Rex
I didn't see the game last night so can't comment on this specific, but in my opinion Thurston gets away with murder. How many other players would get away with saying there was a conspiracy against his team? And so what if his team copped a few rough decisions? So that justifies his behaviour? Should the NRL put out an edict you can't criticise refs, unless you copped a bad decision and then you can not only criticise the decision but say it's a premeditated conspiracy?

Thurston is a great player, but I get annoyed at times how he is portrayed as happy go lucky JT. Off the field that may be the case, but I have rarely watched a cows games where he didn't just go nuts at the ref or officials.
In this case, I really do think you had to see it. It was Thurston who scored the No Try and it really seemed to be a blunder. And this after 84 minutes.

How come you never hear from Thurston when dubious calls go the Cowboys' way? That does happen you know.

If Tooves got a fine for his "investigation" interview then Thurston should have racked up about $100k in fines by now.

That's the point ain't it? Tooves cops a fine for his spray, and an arguably far more influential persona amongst the kids gets nothing: not even a slap in the wrist for attacks on the integrity of the officialdom and the NRL itself...

...JT asked the Ref what and who was the readon for the No Try and the Ref said knock on but he didn't know by who (Feldt or JT).
As we all heard JT, he was perplexed in the interview for not getting an answer...
JT was calm, compared to the 7 tackle semi knockout IMO or the infamous Hand Of Foz @:cool:
Nothing to see here then.

My only gripe was missing a good return in Cows 1-12 into Morgan try.
Great game of footy, with the standard far above all for a long, long time setting the standards for all NRL rivals to attempt to come close....
Agree with certain players do get away in general with far more than the average player & its no doubt a double standard.
JT - what can you say - the bloke is just such a competitor - his efforts to AGAIN nearly pull it out the fire being on the spot to give it a shot - the pressure kick to level at 20 all & that ankle tap on Milford which deserved to stop the try - great player but like ANY other player on the field - rules should not be altered to give more leniency from 1 player to the next.
Overall however - it works both ways - watch refs how they act differently from 1 player to the next - joking or ignoring - depending on the player - this is also a double standard.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8