This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the ****s.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

swoop

Bencher
Tipping Member
This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the ****s.

If we want to attract sponsors we need more positive media exposure. We used to be linked with every player off contract, now the roosters, souths, parra etc. have taken that mantle.

Des give up this Flying under the radar crap.

Penn, Quantum need to talk to their rich mates re. 3rd party sponsorship

CEO and media manager should also be promoting the "Manly brand" better.

With Delmege stepping aside it's time for the club to be proactive, work as a team and get us back to when we were the envy of every other club.

We need a little bit more transparency for the members and not keep us is the dark. We hardly get any positive media  coverage, no wonder we have trouble attracting sponsors.

Re: This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the s**ts.

Can't disagree with anything you have said there Swooppie!!

Theres seige mentality then theres attempted media darlings
Manly will never be media darlings

We're a boutique team, a niche market, etc..

It's a perfectly valid business strategy & one that suits us well.

We can't be as big, loud & stupid as Parra & co.

It's about having direction. We should be looking at sponsors that want to set themselves apart rather than those looking to shovel sh1t at the moronic masses.

You can add to that the personal war waged on the refs. Never gonna get the rub of the green when you always blame them for a loss. We are not the only team that get screwed although we copped a few howlers last year i admit. But its going to happen next year.Its sport and the refs are ****.

The players seem to have adopted the same mentality with the refs and bad decisions.

Press conferences. Its obvious he hates them but it is the job of an NRL coach. I just dont think it enhances manlys brand 1 bit

Des is a fine coach but he has to accept all of his role even if he is pretending

jbb/james link said:
You can add to that the personal war waged on the refs. Never gonna get the rub of the green when you always blame them for a loss. We are not the only team that get screwed although we copped a few howlers last year i admit. But its going to happen next year.Its sport and the refs are s**t.

The players seem to have adopted the same mentality with the refs and bad decisions.

Press conferences. Its obvious he hates them but it is the job of an NRL coach. I just dont think it enhances manlys brand 1 bit

Des is a fine coach but he has to accept all of his role even if he is pretending

You can look at the ref thing the other way.

If Manly don't point out how much goes against us, who will?
Most people basically feel that the game is better off if we're losing so they'll try to ensure that the best is done to make that happen. If Manly say nothing, it will continue without recourse. At least if we put it out there for people to notice, it's harder to get away with.
Without Des making an issue of the bad rub we get, the average supporter of other teams wont notice & the media wont feel like they have to mention it. Why should we have to play under different rules & just cop it?

I don't mind people laughing at me when we get ripped off, as long as they acknowledge it. Someone has to wear the black hat & we're one of those teams. It doesn't mean we should be handicapped for it though.

maybe OPSM should help us out with sponsorship ? Or are they already sponsors for the refs !

jbb/james link said:
You can add to that the personal war waged on the refs. Never gonna get the rub of the green when you always blame them for a loss. We are not the only team that get screwed although we copped a few howlers last year i admit. But its going to happen next year.Its sport and the refs are s**t.

The way he conducts himself at the press conferences is one of my pet hates.I think it's in poor spirit.And for all those on here that are going to howl me down and say Wayne Bennet is worse-do we really want our coach to be like Bennet?
And then to have the same thing trotted out in Des' diary-you'd think they could come up with some original material for a newsletter going out to members.Basically any person,anywhere can get Des' diary by listening to,or watching,the press conferences.

Got to agree Duff.  Direct the sponsorship team to target high end product companies.  We are the 'silvertails', seen as the high flyers, so companies who see themselves as superior, should be encouraged to get on board.  And Des does need to get his act together.  Mumbling through press conferences does nothing to promote the brand.  And I thik the, 'nobody likes us we don't care', stuff has outlived its usefulness.  It's negative and insular and not attractive anymore and hardly a turn on for potential sponsors.  We should look to becoming the Man U of League, a brand that means something out there.  A dominant team, crushing all opposition, blah blah.

Re: This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the ****s.

DSM5 link said:
Got to agree Duff.  Direct the sponsorship team to target high end product companies.  We are the 'silvertails', seen as the high flyers, so companies who see themselves as superior, should be encouraged to get on board.  And Des does need to get his act together.  Mumbling through press conferences does nothing to promote the brand.  And I thik the, 'nobody likes us we don't care', stuff has outlived its usefulness.  It's negative and insular and not attractive anymore and hardly a turn on for potential sponsors.  We should look to becoming the Man U of League, a brand that means something out there.  A dominant team, crushing all opposition, blah blah.

I always thought Honda would make a great looking major sponsor.
If I recall correctly, they were sleeve sponsor for the storm several seasons ago and I don't see them involved in the NRL at present?

Who exactly is canvassing potential sponsors?
Could we help them by compiling a list of some kind?

DSM5 link said:

On field success you want to be like ManU. But not monetary wise they run into a lost that run's into the high millions. Many EPL sides do.
If you want to be a successful team in another code look to the New England Patriots now worth close to a billion dollars(Even my NFL team runs at a profit and they haven't won anything for almost a decade).

RL in Australia is a different market to pretty much any other football comp in the world.
We just have to be the best we can in our environment.

I don't think we need to cross over into the Union world of sponsors (that Macquarie bank guy sh1ts me) or become a horrible, souless club like Man U or the Pats (sorry if there are any supporters of those teams out there but they are scumbags). We can be the silvertails but in a "working class" sense. Portray ourselves as "better" not richer. For the more discerning, not the privileged.

"No one likes us, we don't care" is for the fans, not an official slogan of the organisation itself. It wouldn't refelect on the FC as the people they're schmoozing would be oblivious to the rowdy goings on of the hill.

Ant80 link said:
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=186034.msg307710#msg307710 date=1290757914]

On field success you want to be like ManU. But not monetary wise they run into a lost that run's into the high millions. Many EPL sides do.
If you want to be a successful team in another code look to the New England Patriots now worth close to a billion dollars(Even my NFL team runs at a profit and they haven't won anything for almost a decade).
[/quote]

Man Utd are actually one of the most profitable sporting teams in the world.  The reason for their massive debt is the way the club owners structured the buy out when they took over.  They basically used the club to borrow the money so they could buy it.  There is no way they could service that huge debt unless they were extremely profitable.
Man

Masked Eagle link said:
[quote author=Ant80 link=topic=186034.msg307717#msg307717 date=1290759712]
[quote author=DSM5 link=topic=186034.msg307710#msg307710 date=1290757914]

[/quote]

Man Utd are actually one of the most profitable sporting teams in the world.  The reason for their massive debt is the way the club owners structured the buy out when they took over.  They basically used the club to borrow the money so they could buy it.  There is no way they could service that huge debt unless they were extremely profitable.
Man
[/quote]

Also lucky not to cop a copyright infringement as well. The 'Red Devils' moniker was first used by Salford RL

Duff, my son in law has just started at Macquarie and I'd be happy to accept their millions.  I'll work on him.  The 'no-one likes us we don't care' thing is just too negative.  Potential sponsors would see it as a turn-off if that's the way our own supporters view the world.  Something like 'we're the best and you all know it' is much more positive, and would get under the nose of the opposition anyway.  "We're great, you're not' is another that has appeal.  And 'I'm a Man-U supporter, and I'm proud' is my summer thing.   

dont get me wrong guys, dont want to spoil the party here, but i was under the impression ` under the radar` statement come about when we were winning games  ,that all the pundits/media  were writing us off on.. every week  instead of getting kudos for what we achieved, all the  experts were tipping against us every weekend.. so when we did win those games all the so called media experts didnt really acknowledge it, . therefore there wasnt much media on us , because even though we were winnning they still gave us no hope..

Put the radar on a height adjustable pole and alternate flying under & over it. Will confound all who seek to make assessments.

I like to be noticed jjai and I think the club should be too. 
'We're the best and you all know it'.  Sounds good.

DSM5 link said:
Duff, my son in law has just started at Macquarie and I'd be happy to accept their millions.  I'll work on him.  The 'no-one likes us we don't care' thing is just too negative.  Potential sponsors would see it as a turn-off if that's the way our own supporters view the world.  Something like 'we're the best and you all know it' is much more positive, and would get under the nose of the opposition anyway.  \"We're great, you're not' is another that has appeal.  And 'I'm a Man-U supporter, and I'm proud' is my summer thing.   

Calling ourselves the Silvertails also has negative connentations however i think its part of the clubs personality regarding "noone likes us and we dont care" as both are viewed as a negative

Does anyone really think that little sign on the hill, which about a dozen people stand under would stop a potential sponsor who "gets value" from their brand being splashed across TV screens when the camera's are on the players?

Seriously, like most banners that are done from club fans it's a bit of fun....I have seen loads more from other clubs that are not any better.

This isn't an "official" banner from the club, does not feature on the clubs website, nor on players jerseys and is just something a fan has put together.

I can just see (not) the Macquarie Bank execs sitting down with Penn and Co to discuss a 6 million dollar sponsorship deal and the Mac Bank exec says "look we'll give you the funds BUT you have to get rid of that sign on the hill that says no one likes us and we don't care"

To suggest that this sign could stop a major sponsor coming on board is just ridiculous.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8