This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the ****s.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Re: This "Flying under the radar" is giving me the s**ts.

Mark, There's obviously something going a bit haywire regarding sponsorship, i.e, there doesn't appear to be a major one.  That 'little sign' is always featured on the game screenings, and I just think a more positive slant could be given to our great club.  It's way to insular and defensive.  I could be wrong but I actually haven't seen any other club supporter signs as negative as that one.  Please enlighten me about the others.   

DSM5 link said:
Mark, There's obviously something going a bit haywire regarding sponsorship, i.e, there doesn't appear to be a major one.  That 'little sign' is always featured on the game screenings, and I just think a more positive slant could be given to our great club.  It's way to insular and defensive.  I could be wrong but I actually haven't seen any other club supporter signs as negative as that one.  Please enlighten me about the others.   

If ur going to ditch that you should ditch the silvertails name right along side it,we're operating double negative and everybody hates the snooty little rich kid

Its more of a sign of good humour,i think some people are a little precious sometimes,sponsors wouldnt worry about the sign,they know everybody hates manly

I still bank with the NAB and fly with Virgin even though they sponsor Souths (many do).
I eat Steggles chicken products even though they sponsor Easts (many do)
I don't drink VB even though they sponsor our national side or have Telstra as my telephony provider even though they are a major sponsor of the comp we all watch.
If someone is holding back on lobbing in a couple of mill to support the team but has reservations regarding that banner let me know and I'll make sure it is not shown on TV?
Sponsorship of a sports team is a complex issue that goes through all manner of process and due diligence before a company are willing to part with a big chunk of cash and brand sharing - it's not quite as simple as a CEO getting out the yellow pages and selling the idea of a logo on a shirt.

Bravo Vid, Bravo

Signs that attack individual players IMO are far worse than the No One likes us banner....whilst I do actually think he IS a wanker, "Billy Slater is a Wanker" is one that comes to mind. That portrays all of us as supporters as being...."feral" and that's not the case. I can't instantly sprout a whole host of other signs at this end of the season but you do see signs at games that are really in bad taste. I am sure (for example) that every sign at the Olympic Stadium in October put up by Dragons Fans wasn't in good taste, or of a positive slant...it's just the nature of the beast.

I don't think we need to get rid of the "No one likes us but we don't care". I think that it is something unique for our club and shows a touch of arrogance as well as pride and passion for our team and club.

The whole issue with this flying under the radar is that Des and the players should be more accessible to the media and fans. These one word responses to questions isn't a good look, when we lose we look like whinging sore losers.

We need to say where we f**ked up and accept a loss with dignity.

Let the media pick up the ref blunders, because with all the technology even blind freddie can see the mistakes. If Des wants to have a go at the refs ring the bloke in charge of the refs directly and not do it through the media or at after match press conferences.

Duff link said:
RL in Australia is a different market to pretty much any other football comp in the world.
We just have to be the best we can in our environment.

I don't think we need to cross over into the Union world of sponsors (that Macquarie bank guy sh1ts me) or become a horrible, souless club like Man U or the Pats (sorry if there are any supporters of those teams out there but they are scumbags). We can be the silvertails but in a \"working class\" sense. Portray ourselves as \"better\" not richer. For the more discerning, not the privileged.

\"No one likes us, we don't care\" is for the fans, not an official slogan of the organisation itself. It wouldn't refelect on the FC as the people they're schmoozing would be oblivious to the rowdy goings on of the hill.
Not sure how you can be both 'Silvertails', with the connotations that Roy Masters intended (when he started calling us that) and 'working class' at the same time? Especially when your club is located in a middle class part of Sydney - with some of the city's most expensive suburbs located within that district.
Extending that theme, the code will go nowhere if it tries to pretend it is just a 'working class' game, especially in a wealthy middle class nation such as ours.
AFL doesn't pretend to be (just) a working class game. Figuratively it embraces all (so-called) classes of people. That is one of the secrets of its success in Victoria, SA et al.

What, you never heard of 'Silvertails of the world, unite"?

I agree that "No-one likes us, we don't care" may have outlived it's usefulness. Instead, how about "Let them eat cake"?

What about "no one likes us, and we don't give a ****"

that's definatly more upper class !!!

We WERE the TEAM before that piece of dog**** called News Ltd and the bib and brace wearing 7 fingered inbreds up north put their **** for brain mates like Bennet and Ribot in it.

Phantar link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186034.msg307718#msg307718 date=1290761498]
RL in Australia is a different market to pretty much any other football comp in the world.
We just have to be the best we can in our environment.

I don't think we need to cross over into the Union world of sponsors (that Macquarie bank guy sh1ts me) or become a horrible, souless club like Man U or the Pats (sorry if there are any supporters of those teams out there but they are scumbags). We can be the silvertails but in a \"working class\" sense. Portray ourselves as \"better\" not richer. For the more discerning, not the privileged.

\"No one likes us, we don't care\" is for the fans, not an official slogan of the organisation itself. It wouldn't refelect on the FC as the people they're schmoozing would be oblivious to the rowdy goings on of the hill.
Not sure how you can be both 'Silvertails', with the connotations that Roy Masters intended (when he started calling us that) and 'working class' at the same time? Especially when your club is located in a middle class part of Sydney - with some of the city's most expensive suburbs located within that district.
Extending that theme, the code will go nowhere if it tries to pretend it is just a 'working class' game, especially in a wealthy middle class nation such as ours.
AFL doesn't pretend to be (just) a working class game. Figuratively it embraces all (so-called) classes of people. That is one of the secrets of its success in Victoria, SA et al.

[/quote]

Where are you from Phantabularistomatic?

What's wrong with the poor old bankers. They've got to make a living to.
Times have been tuff lately. Not fair to pick on them.

Duff link said:
[quote author=Phantar link=topic=186034.msg308048#msg308048 date=1291102059]

[/quote]
God's Own Country - Manly-Warringah
What about you Delta Alpha Foxtrot Foxtrot?

Phantar link said:
[quote author=Duff link=topic=186034.msg308097#msg308097 date=1291121192]
[quote author=Phantar link=topic=186034.msg308048#msg308048 date=1291102059]

[/quote]
God's Own Country - Manly-Warringah
What about you Delta Alpha Foxtrot Foxtrot?
[/quote]

Also from the Northern Beaches.
I just didn't think many locals would consider it a particularly rich area, other than in jest. That's for the outsiders to think. Those from the rich bits are Union fans anyway.

When you look around Dee Why, Narraweena, Brookvale & all that, it's pretty working class. It's just that the houses are over-priced.

I have always felt "No one likes us but we don't care" doesn't help our public image. No one wants to join a group that isn't liked...

I agree Ben, but others don't.  'We're superior and everybody knows it'.  sounds better.

Ben Wallace link said:
I have always felt \"No one likes us but we don't care\" doesn't help our public image. No one wants to join a group that isn't liked...

Not true at all.

A lot of people are proud Milwall fans & to be honest by becoming a Manly fan you joined a group that noone likes, whether it's promoted as such or not.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7