There's the door!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blowfly

Reserve Grader
To put it bluntly I've had a gut full of this "will he stay" or "will he go" crap some of our players appear to be putting our great club through.

I won't accept these certain stars wanting to hold the proud Manly Sea Eagles to ransom.

You want to leave - there's the door but rest assured you've tarnished anything you've contributed to the club in my opinion.

Here's my team with those players concerned replaced & I think we still have a strong side & more importantly we have players who want to wear the jersey & would do so with pride.

T.Trbojevic
J.Taufua
J.Lyon
P.Hiku
C.Gutherson
J.Littlejohn
DCE

J.Buhrer
T.Symonds
F.Mateo
W.Mason
M.Ballin
B.Lawrence

Interchange
J.Trbojevic
J.Sene-Lafeo
D.Lui
S.Vave

Others
J.Horo
L.Sao
B.Leary
M.Chee-Kam
J.Hodges
U.Baker

Plus with some notables leaving we'd have salary cap money to chase big names such as Merrin & the like.

I'd also like to see Aidan Sezer at 5/8 should Foran go but whatever happens I think the future is great.

Those that carry on like children can risk their careers elsewhere as far as I'm concerned but I know Manly will always be strong.

I hadn't read read any news today and have just come on and seen the Matai article.....when is all this going to end??

I was just thinking over xmas about how I'd gotten over the whole Watmough saga and was looking forward to the new season.....now Matai comes out with this.

Like many others have stated, I do not want players here that don't want to be here. Or who are causing trouble. I'm getting very fed up with this rubbish and it's time for Penn, Kelly, Tooves and Killer to get everyone in line or they can just eff off to some Neville club.

I have always loved Stevie, but just remember, you haven't been playing for minimum wage. Okay maybe you took a lower deal, I don't know, but again your value has soared on the back of quality players around. This has made you a dual premiership winner...learn a lesson from Watmough, don't pass water over the club as you leave.

A player might leave at the end of their contract to be closer to their family....and is being open rather than trotting out the same old cliches

Not sure what the issue is - the open nature of his answer is pretty different to the way choc handled things

I think in this day and age most players put a price on their club loyalty. There aren't many players who wouldn't move on if the money is right. That's understandable, but what I have difficulty with is those who don't want to see contracts out after they sign them. All this putting pressure on the club for releases really annoys me.

Blowfly said:
To put it bluntly I've had a gut full of this "will he stay" or "will he go" crap some of our players appear to be putting our great club through.

I won't accept these certain stars wanting to hold the proud Manly Sea Eagles to ransom.

You want to leave - there's the door but rest assured you've tarnished anything you've contributed to the club in my opinion.

Here's my team with those players concerned replaced & I think we still have a strong side & more importantly we have players who want to wear the jersey & would do so with pride.

T.Trbojevic
J.Taufua
J.Lyon
P.Hiku
C.Gutherson
J.Littlejohn
DCE

J.Buhrer
T.Symonds
F.Mateo
W.Mason
M.Ballin
B.Lawrence

Interchange
J.Trbojevic
J.Sene-Lafeo
D.Lui
S.Vave

Others
J.Horo
L.Sao
B.Leary
M.Chee-Kam
J.Hodges
U.Baker

Plus with some notables leaving we'd have salary cap money to chase big names such as Merrin & the like.

I'd also like to see Aidan Sezer at 5/8 should Foran go but whatever happens I think the future is great.

Those that carry on like children can risk their careers elsewhere as far as I'm concerned but I know Manly will always be strong.

Get used to the bottom half of the table if that's what we put on the field.

lsz said:
A player might leave at the end of their contract to be closer to their family....and is being open rather than trotting out the same old cliches

Not sure what the issue is - the open nature of his answer is pretty different to the way choc handled things

I think its just the constant speculation. The Watmough situation has finally been resolved after months of will he won't he. We are in the middle of a Foran saga after months of speculation, as well as DCE. Now this is going to spark more 'will Matai leave' talk.

I think to some extent nobody really cares about the outcome, we'll all still be Manly fans afterwards, it's the constant not knowing what we'll be facing next year or in 2016. If everyone stays we could seriously challenge, if a few leave we may need a few years to build. The prospect of not knowing/ constant talk of players wanting to leave for another few months just seems bleak.

And that's not to say I don't agree with you, it is nice to have the honest answer and his reasons are extremely just. But maybe this could have been released by Matai after announcing he has signed elsewhere mid-season in an explanation to the Manly fans, instead of now when nothing is certain.I would have just liked for him to be a bit more sensitive to the fact that the fans are desperate to know whats going on at their club and making them wait and speculate amongst themselves is a real ball ache.

That article seems to lack much context. Unless Manly are going all out after Foz and DCE and are prepared to let Matai walk in which case, he's free to explore his options. He's actually free to sign so I wish his manager would get on with it. To me it sounds like a crappy bluff attempt...

Media Training 101

Manly requires you to be available to speak to the media.

If you are asked about your future beyond your current contract, you must never say 'no comment', because that fuels speculation.

You must never say you might look at options, because that upsets fans.

You must always say 'I hope I can play out my career with Manly'. Even if it's not true, because fans can't handle the truth.

End of lesson.

Does the fact we don't have a dedicated media manager have anything to do with this?

The Wheel said:
Does the fact we don't have a dedicated media manager have anything to do with this?

We have one, or one who thinks he is , he's just not on the payroll .

mickqld said:
Blowfly said:

T.Trbojevic
J.Taufua
J.Lyon
P.Hiku
C.Gutherson
J.Littlejohn
DCE

J.Buhrer
T.Symonds
F.Mateo
W.Mason
M.Ballin
B.Lawrence

Interchange
J.Trbojevic
J.Sene-Lafeo
D.Lui
S.Vave

Others
J.Horo
L.Sao
B.Leary
M.Chee-Kam
J.Hodges
U.Baker

Get used to the bottom half of the table if that's what we put on the field.

Read again!

This is a team consisting of players we currently have.

With those certain players leaving we'd also have salary cap money to improve certain areas so team could look better with investment.

I'm merely saying we'd be better off without players holding club to ransom & there is a bright future if they do leave!

Didn't Matai threaten a revolt and mention that all the players would exit if we didn't sign Stewart? Anyway, these veterans are starting the BS again. As a season ticket holder and member, I dunno....I really couldn't be bothered debating it anymore. If they want to leave - go.

Just get on the field and play footy. We'll be trying to squeeze Tom Tbrjovec, Clinton Gutherson in that backline, with Taufua, Williams, Blair & Hiku all fighting for wing spots.

All quality replacements. Matai's having more and more operations, and is slowing down (look at last year).

This is exactly why Hasler left Manly as he knew that he would have to lose the long serving players while trying to rebuild the team.

This is a salary cap problem in that insufficient allowance is made for long serving players.

The NRL is encouraging players to continually change clubs and will stuff the loyalty of fans as well soon.

tookey said:
This is exactly why Hasler left Manly as he knew that he would have to lose the long serving players while trying to rebuild the team.

This is a salary cap problem in that insufficient allowance is made for long serving players.

The NRL is encouraging players to continually change clubs and will stuff the loyalty of fans as well soon.

If we replace Matai with Gutherson for example as well, how much extra would that leave in our coffers to resign the 1/2'?

Thanks for your time and passion Steve, but enjoy your time on the goldie.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Media Training 101

Manly requires you to be available to speak to the media.

If you are asked about your future beyond your current contract, you must never say 'no comment', because that fuels speculation.

You must never say you might look at options, because that upsets fans.

You must always say 'I hope I can play out my career with Manly'. Even if it's not true, because fans can't handle the truth.

End of lesson.

I almost agree with all of this. However, a 'no comment' regarding your future beyond the current contract will indeed create more speculation. The proper answer would be;

"My manager and I are doing everything possible to extend my contract at Manly. This includes taking a pay cut to make my team mate's negotiations easier. In the event that I am no longer part of of this great club's plans for the future then I am hopeful that I can find a place at another club that Manly fans can accept. Of course it goes without saying that there will be a clause in my contact that prohibits me from playing against Manly"

Stevie off contract at end of 2015 AND we're trying to resign two of the most expensive players in the game AND we have some brilliant backline talent coming through.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/manly-sea-eagles-want-halves-pairing-re-signed-before-2015-season-kick-off/story-e6frf3ru-1227178739804?from=public_rss
The writing may not just be on the wall for Matai. The situation may have been made perfectly clear and he is trying to get enough interest to get a contract in place. Good luck to the brave, ageing warrior.

Mark from Brisbane said:
The Wheel said:

We have one, or one who thinks he is , he's just not on the payroll .
At least when we had him all our players were happy :)

Skivvy has been a brave warrior for our cause for over a decade and I personally will miss him if he leaves. I also have great respect for the fact that he wants to sort out his future too.

What I find really appalling is that over the last 6 months, we have seen open discussions about their playing futures.

This just feeds the media outlets who need no invitation to tip the bucket on our club.

The thing that keep the club so solid was the togetherness of the team, it bred resilience and character that have driven the club to great success.

If there are players who want out, the club needs to be very decisive about this and allow the players who are committed the chance to build their careers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4