[Resurrected] The Trent Vent

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Bingo! Bennett failed at Newcastle because he didn't grasp the culture and one can't blame him for that because their culture is crap and based on cheating as per that GF loss suffered that we will never discuss. Same point here Barrett and his mate don't grasp the Manly culture in my view and by the look of the way we let in soft tries the latest Smith last week, proves my point. Does Barrett ever talk about our culture? Na because it's not on his radar.

Good to know that last bit, and great to have someone like you at all the training sessions and inside the sheds pre, during and post game, you'll have to enlighten us more on Barrett's shortcomings, with such inside knowledge!!

Bingo! Bennett failed at Newcastle because he didn't grasp the culture and one can't blame him for that because their culture is crap and based on cheating as per that GF loss suffered that we will never discuss. Same point here Barrett and his mate don't grasp the Manly culture in my view and by the look of the way we let in soft tries the latest Smith last week, proves my point. Does Barrett ever talk about our culture? Na because it's not on his radar.
It's getting even more comical now , so if by some miracle we do well under Baz next year , anyone like me who believes it is possible now still won't be able to win this debate because here will be your response . " It's obvious we are 3rd on the table only because Foz, Choc ,Snake and co took him out the back and explained the Manly culture to him nothing else." I realised a fair while ago that you can never win a debate with some people no matter what. In real life I do not bother any more but I will allow myself the luxury of admitting defeat here. Two of our poorest forward packs were under our two greatest competitors. Toovey last year and Bozo in 89 I think. I do not blame the players at all because they really tried but sometimes it happens that way. Guess who fixed the problem ,Bozo, thru importing hard forwards from elsewhere who helped us to a title. But sorry, I digress it can't happen now because of Barrett, but I will live in hope anyway.

That's been the best thing about following the Eagles, the lows around the Beagle era were really low and most fans don't realise that we came back into the comp as Manly again with no budget and the last choice of players at the time. But it always looked like we had a go. We had every excuse to win a couple of spoons but were never in danger.

thanks largely to Max D

It's this: our Manly spirit.
I have come to love and admire this DEFENSIVE NEVER SAY DIE spirit so much AND it's gone this year. Where is it? GONE. We all know defence wins games.
A coach that's not played for Manly cannot and will not ever understand this.

So that's No 1.
No 2 - where the hell is our attack?
Same problem - how many times do I see DCE spinning around with no idea in the opposition 20?

Our new coaching regime has managed to produce rare good defensive efforts and the odd good attacking set play or two and for mine this was on display in the Warriors win.

And there it ends.

Injuries? Yeah. Every NRL side faces those. I don't buy it.
Barrett has to go along with Cartwright. They're both bludgers with no idea.

I don't want to sit at Brookie in my season seat watching another repeat of this season. That's reality.

And guess what?

You will be sitting at Brookie or glued to the TV, like the rest of us, and waiting with bated breath as the lads run out for Rd1 as another chapter is written in this clubs great history.

As a few have already mentioned this club has had plenty of ups and downs, as all clubs do, but no club, as history has proven, ever rises from the ashes better the Eagles.

The idea that every Manly side that has ever run out has an inbuilt steel and never say die attitude, while Barretts team doesn't, is ridiculous. To say it about any club is ridiculous.The reality is professional sport dishes up disappointment to fans in spades. Witness iconic clubs like Essendon,Carlton,Collingwood,St George,South Sydney...the list is endless.

As someone once elequantly said, **** HAPPENS!. Relax, sit back and enjoy the great soap opera that is the NRL,and be confident in knowing the next great Sea Eagles team may be just around the corner.

Last edited:
You might have uncovered the key to success at origin level as well, coaches with culture. Loz seems to be lacking it , Mal has more than anyone but Bingo it didn't seem to be so evident when he coached the Raiders. Seems Tim Sheens losing culture from the Panthers was the key to the Raiders titles but somehow Sheens goes to the cows and somehow his failure can be blamed on his not understanding the culture. Trouble is nobody is taking my bait and explaining to me what is going to be the success of 1st grade coaches across the NRL teams next year and the year after. Hindsight can be fantastic but give us some tips on the future.

I must say that it is a somewhat exceptional situation to have played every game and then receive the MMP award, has this ever happened before? (MMP = Most Maligned Player ;))
Probably be in the running for the Man of Steel award next year, time for a tap on the shoulder Bozo

I've been watching the Sea Eagles since mid 1965, the year before a young Woolongong lad burst onto the scene called Fulton, who Manly just managed to grab before St George could get their mitts on him. Like Woodsie, I've seen the highs and the lows and there has been a regular period when great teams have been dismantled, a period of less success follows and then the rise of a new group of champion players. What's happening now is no different and quite consistent with the trend. By 2018-19, many will be wondering what we were so concerned about.

The previous culture is in the coffin waiting for the last 2 nails to be driven in

In the 5 year plan (4 to go) we will build a NEW culture, and at the end reign supreme for another decade!!

Patience brothers, Rome wasn't built in a day!
Again, I must say that in the last 13 years the best was the 5 starting in 2003 culminating in 2008 with 40-0, it was nice to be on top after that but it wasn't the same satisfying climb out of the gutter to the penthouse......

I think some of the points @Mark from Brisbane around patience are really key. A few people on here at the start of this season said 'let's just wait and realise this will take time'. I was not one of those. Seeing players like Walker, Taupau, Myles come in I really thought we were more than top 8 material.

But a key point that people are making is right it's very very difficult to win a comp, and it's not a 5mins process. It takes a lot of planning, hardwork, and a bit of luck.

Let's understand that @bazeagle is entitled to his opinion as well, he's been a thoughtful, insightful poster on here for some time and is understandably upset at the current situation ( as no doubt we all are).

I get it, I may not agree with it but I certainly get it.

So no " dummy spit " from me!

I think some of the points @Mark from Brisbane around patience are really key. A few people on here at the start of this season said 'let's just wait and realise this will take time'. I was not one of those. Seeing players like Walker, Taupau, Myles come in I really thought we were more than top 8 material.

But a key point that people are making is right it's very very difficult to win a comp, and it's not a 5mins process. It takes a lot of planning, hardwork, and a bit of luck.
I was trying to agree with some asessments of our prospects this year because i would have liked to be surprised but I just thought that our champions didn't have another year in to challenge them and it wasn't going to happen without Snake etc

Let's understand that @bazeagle is entitled to his opinion as well, he's been a thoughtful, insightful poster on here for some time and is understandably upset at the current situation ( as no doubt we all are).

I get it, I may not agree with it but I certainly get it.

So no " dummy spit " from me!
It does help though when opinion is not expressed as fact. I expressed an opinion to someone a few years ago that I was alarmed that a certain player was believed to be hanging around with a perhaps dodgy colourful lad. The response was that this colourful lad was " a good bloke ". I didn't respond because I had no evidence of anything, just a guess. It seems my hunch was well founded but an arguement on the subject would have gone nowhere. Sensible debate should be more common.

It does help though when opinion is not expressed as fact. I expressed an opinion to someone a few years ago that I was alarmed that a certain player was believed to be hanging around with a perhaps dodgy colourful lad. The response was that this colourful lad was " a good bloke ". I didn't respond because I had no evidence of anything, just a guess. It seems my hunch was well founded but an arguement on the subject would have gone nowhere. Sensible debate should be more common.

Yes, just because someone says something different to you does not make them ( nor you) wrong.

Unless you can reference something that actually proves them wrong ( like a players actual stats v what they just think).

Occasionally on here people are lamblasted for having a different opinion, but let's not forget after all " it's a forum ".

Phew I almost got sucked in!!
Hey Kevin Ward, either you or the other one with the same name, is along with giant Artie, my favorite props ever, but did any one try to drag him or you out to Oz before 87? I am not sure his name comes up when talking about the best Pom imports but he was to me right near the top. Before he arrived Bozo said he was so tough that you couldn't drive a nail thru him, well spotted whoever saw his talent

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10