The sum of us: Rugby league hero Steve Mortimer proud of his son's gay union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Interesting that you chose to paste this image on more than one occasion suggests that know a lot about this. Also the parade is at night, so I assume most young kids would be in bed. It is obvious that on this topic one value we do not share is tolerance my feathered friend!!

Not only is it at night but the majority of the parade is held on a street that is littered with nightclubs. I didn't hit those up or hang around them when I was a young tyro.

Love your ignorance about Mardi gras mate. How they celebrate lol. This event brings in millions of dollars to the NSW economy every year and is the end of a month of celebration within the gay, lesbian and transgender community. Actually pride day is 2 weeks before Mardi Gras which is where the bulk of the gay community gather and celebrate whom they are and EVERYONE is welcome to attend, like parents and relatives and heaven help up straight people too. Maybe if you attend that you might lose your ignorance of things but I respect your right to say what you say even though it is at odds with most fair minded people.
" This event brings in millions of dollars to the NSW economy every year " what has money or economic benefit got to do with the discussion.

I shouldn't have to take a detout of to avoid such behavior in the same way i wouldn't want to walk down a street full of people swearing like crazy or fighting etc etc.
Oh poor you, being forced into making a detour one night a year, avoiding behaviours like tolerance seem to be pretty accurate. As I mentioned earlier you have the option of not watching the event but 1 million Sydneysiders and thousands more from across Australia and around the globe choose to enjoy the event

Oh poor you, being forced into making a detour one night a year, avoiding behaviours like tolerance seem to be pretty accurate. As I mentioned earlier you have the option of not watching the event but 1 million Sydneysiders and thousands more from across Australia and around the globe choose to enjoy the event
Nothing wrong with the event but the behavior and dress code is inappropriate in a public place.

I shouldn't have to take a detour to avoid such behavior in the same way i wouldn't want to walk down a street full of people swearing like crazy or fighting etc etc.

Seriously? I work on Oxford St. As others have mentioned, it's full of nightclubs, pubs etc, many of which have a 'gay' flavour. So if it's where you'd normally be hanging out late at night on a Saturday (when Mardi Gras takes place), I'd guess you're probably not the kind of person who'd be in a huge hurry to detour around it anyway.

FWIW, I wouldn't take kids to Mardi Gras, but not for any bigoted reason. I just wouldn't be taking kids to any party precinct late on a Saturday night regardless - you're kind of asking for them to see things you don't necessarily want them to see! And if they're of an age when suggestive behaviour isn't appropriate for them to see, they should be in bed anyway!

From what i can gather from your limited replies

1) You feel the dress code and certain elements of behavior during the event is acceptable in the public eye.
2) I should take a detour ahead of others acting in a more appropriate public manner in a public space.
3)Economic benefit makes it right to stage an event with such behavior
4)You want to be accepted and respected yet don't in this instance respect the views of others who haven't stated the event "should not happen" but the behavior should be toned down.

If people at the event want respect act respectfully to start with.

Nothing wrong with the event but the behavior and dress code is inappropriate in a public place.
The whole idea is for people to express themselves. Would you be more comfortable with people wearing shorts and tshirts at the parade? The behaviour at Mardi gras is one of fairness and tolerance and it is a FACT that there are more arrests at the NYE party in the city than ever happens at Mardi Gras.

From what i can gather from your limited replies

1) You feel the dress code and certain elements of behavior during the event is acceptable in the public eye.
2) I should take a detour ahead of others acting in a more appropriate public manner in a public space.
3)Economic benefit makes it right to stage an event with such behavior
4)You want to be accepted and respected yet don't in this instance respect the views of others who haven't stated the event "should not happen" but the behavior should be toned down.
And the beach suggestion where you have a good chance of seeing scantily clad people with their tongues down each other's throats on most summer weekends?

It is acceptable dress code at a beach and people are aware before heading to a beach that the dress code is more relaxed for a valid reason.

i think most people are aware before heading into the city on mardi gras night what the dress code is, much like they are when going to the beach.

I have been to the mardi gras once, not my thing and I have no desire to go back but to be honest I did not see anything worse than I have seen on a night out in the city where drug taking etc is very obvious in most bars. It is not like all the guys and girls are on floats performing sex acts on each other or cocks hanging out for all to see.

The whole idea is for people to express themselves. Would you be more comfortable with people wearing shorts and tshirts at the parade? The behaviour at Mardi gras is one of fairness and tolerance and it is a FACT that there are more arrests at the NYE party in the city than ever happens at Mardi Gras.
You don't need to be 3/4 naked and scantily clad making thrusting sexual dance moves to represent being gay, that is called inappropriate behavior and dress code in a public place.

I watched that territory cops show on TV last week and Darwin was having its annual Hookers Ball. All the blokes were getting around it the same kind of gear as those blokes at the Mardi Gras. Mankinis and g bangers etc. acting like gooses. So those kind of shenanigans aren't restricted to the gay community.

I can't be arsed getting involved in the back and forth of the arguments in this thread, only add further to what Budgewoi eagle shared.

One of my relos is in the exact same position you were in, only he's never had the courage to be open about it through fear of disappointing he's father and direct family. And that fear is justified as his family is, let's just say, pretty rough.
So instead he lives a lonely life of pretending to be something he's not. Which of course after 20 years has taken its toll on him emotionally and physically. And also robbed him of the chance to find someone special. He's such a beautiful person and deserves to be happy.
It's a sad story, and confirms that prehistoric thinking and attitudes still exist and have a devastating effect.

Live and let live people!

That's all I have to say about thaaat

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8