The sum of us: Rugby league hero Steve Mortimer proud of his son's gay union

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
We only have one common enemy this week, Feathered Friends!

Those in cardinal red and myrtle green colours at Brookie on Thursday ;)
images (3).jpg

#GoManly

Once more for the dummies. For most, sexuality is not a choice. I struggled with it from the beginning of adolescence when it became painfully obvious to me that I was different. I accepted it eventually but hid it from my mother because all her dreams were about my wedding, her grandchildren. Based on her assertion that she'd love me no matter what, I came out to her in my twenties and what followed was ten years of her refusing to speak to me. Over the years I've seen the same thing happen to so many of my friends and that doesn't get into the taunts, fears, etc.
Strangely, what brought my mother around was a homophobic conversation with a bunch of friends who all assumed she was on board with the 'gays are such hateful beings' line. She got defensive and came out to them as the mother of such a being.
While the trauma is behind me and I'm now just a happy big 'ol dyke, I still feel very much for the young men and women who are still the subject of so much ill feeling. Please think of them when you make your statements of hate and derision. Some of them are Manly supporters ffs!
It is pleasing how much positivity there has been in this thread. Well done kids!
Finally, I'd like you all to think about how often you've thought whether you should mention your sexually on a footy forum. And if you think that has nothing to do with it, then think about how often you talk about your wives, call someone a good sort, or assume female supporters think a guy is hot. All quite natural and enjoyable but all with a huge assumption behind it.
Sorry to be a bit of a bore in this.
Go the Might Sea Eagles!
I could not have said this any better, you are spot on Budgewoi!!

Why we need to have a vote by politicians is beyond me.

It seems to be an issue for them and a minority of people but the population at large don't care greatly about it.

Just pass it into law and move on.

And don't start me on the republic, the fact its 2016 and we still bare allegiance to a monarch in the UK......Grrrrrrrrrrr, please no more comments otherwise I'll explode!

• 😆
Reactions: Rex
So some people dress up for a parade and celebration - and you don't like or approve of it? Really?

What are you afraid of Bozo?
The way they parade does not make me afraid.
Just because you don't approve it does not mean you are afraid .
I am not a supporter of the Mardi gras as these scenes are not inappropriate IMO
Each to their own :)
1322859151347.jpg

To answer your question, No, that picture you posted does absolutely nothing to turn me on. But it doesn't make me hate them or even dislike them. Why would I dislike someone for having fun without causing harm to anyone else? I know this may sound strange to you, but I prefer to base my opinion of people on whether or not they are a decent person, and how they treat others, not on whether they turn me on.
You don't have to hate someone to disapprove of them . I was brought up as a Christian and my faith disapproves of homosexuality and adultery . My faith also disapproves of judging . Every one is free to give their opinion just like we all have . God only judges and one day we will all have to answer to him. I work with gay people and I have friends who have gay family members and we all know our moral values.
There are decent Rooster Rabbit and Dog supporters but that doesn't mean I approve of what team they support :)

Love your ignorance about Mardi gras mate. How they celebrate lol. This event brings in millions of dollars to the NSW economy every year and is the end of a month of celebration within the gay, lesbian and transgender community. Actually pride day is 2 weeks before Mardi Gras which is where the bulk of the gay community gather and celebrate whom they are and EVERYONE is welcome to attend, like parents and relatives and heaven help up straight people too. Maybe if you attend that you might lose your ignorance of things but I respect your right to say what you say even though it is at odds with most fair minded people.
Parading is one thing but when you see grown men practically naked exposing them selves like this in front of families ???
I think we will agree to disagree on this one feathered friend :)
imagesO7HRGFZR.jpg

Last edited:
You don't have to hate someone to disapprove of them . I was brought up as a Christian and my faith disapproves of homosexuality and adultery . My faith also disapproves of judging . Every one is free to give their opinion just like we all have . God only judges and one day we will all have to answer to him. I work with gay people and I have friends who have gay family members and we all know our moral values.
There are decent Rooster Rabbit and Dog supporters but that doesn't mean I approve of what team they support :)
A Christian? Really? Gee I would never have guessed that.
And for your info, nobody needs your approval to be who they are.
And nobody needs the approval of your imaginary friend either.
The stuff that Catholic priests get up to is much worse than anything portrayed in those pics you've posted. Much worse. It's a pity you don't 'disapprove' of serious matters like that instead of things which hurt nobody.

Last edited:
Parading is one thing but when you see grown men practically naked exposing them selves like this in front of families ???
I think we will agree to disagree on this one feathered friend :)
View attachment 3456
Judging by the pictures you have posted to support your argument, you seem to know a lot about Mardi Gras. I wondered if you were one of Fred Nile's disciples doing a rain dance on the night of Mardi Gras or Corey Bernadi in disguise?

In relation to poor families being exposed to male buttocks, well I dont see the crowd turning away in shock or horror. Simple thing. If you do not want to see you are not forced to watch it.

There is nothing wrong with having faith and believing in a religion but when a religion preaches intolerance, ignorance and bigotry to a group of people that doesn't comply with its so called rules, it loses most fair minded people.

We agree about much, Woodsie, but we don't see eye-to-eye yet on the right - or even the necessity - to approve or to disapprove.

For me, it is never a matter of approval. Never a matter of judging others. Discerning, yes, influencing, yes, judging, no. I am no God. Why should anyone care what I "approve" of?

It is a matter of taking action - responding as intelligently as possible to what is in front of me. Looking at what the situation in front of me demands of me.

I'll leave the judging to all of the bible bashers who choose to ignore Jesus' instructions to not judge others, lest they be judged themselves.

Rex I think we agree more than you admit, why be discerning if you haven't decided something is better than another, why influence if you haven't judged one path is better than another.

As an apparently well rounded fellow I think you may have trained yourself to accept the small stuff, but I am prepared to wager that on the big issues, some of which I mentioned, you would be as judgemental as dickens.

And thank you for accepting this discourse as an issue relating soley to the issue of "approval/disapproval". It only began as a response to your early comment that people don't have the right to disapprove.

So you are intolerant of me questioning the validity of your moralistic attitudes about others.

I have asked you how two people quietly going about their business - loving each other - causes you or anyone else any harm. I have asked how that is any business of yours.

You have totally avoided these questions and diverted with a personal attack. Understandable, but doesn't get us any closer to the truth.[/QUOTE
So you are intolerant of me questioning the validity of your moralistic attitudes about others.

I have asked you how two people quietly going about their business - loving each other - causes you or anyone else any harm. I have asked how that is any business of yours.

You have totally avoided these questions and diverted with a personal attack. Understandable, but doesn't get us any closer to the truth.
If you had taken the time to read my very first post you would have read the following.

"I leave them be to do their own thing as is their choice as an adult. I do however resent those who try and force "in your face" views because it suits their particular view of the world."

I have not avoided anything, I have made my views as clear as day. You seem to think I have a problem with what they do in the privacy of their own home and yet my first post made it crystal clear what I thought. As is always the case on topics such as this, if anyone has a different view to you then they and their views are not tolerated.

Have you ever considered that people may judge people as cockheads, not because the judged is a cockhead, but because the judger is?

i.e. The Adam Goodes effect. I'm not booing because I'm an out-and-out racist, I'm booing because he's .... (fill in the gap)

I am sure many people in my journey through life have thought me a cockhead, as I am equally sure people have considered you a cockhead. So what, the best we can do is stay true to ourselves. But have you considered that some peopled judged cockheads really are cockheads.

As to the Adam Goodes thing, please leave me out.

Rex I think we agree more than you admit, why be discerning if you haven't decided something is better than another, why influence if you haven't judged one path is better than another.

As an apparently well rounded fellow I think you may have trained yourself to accept the small stuff, but I am prepared to wager that on the big issues, some of which I mentioned, you would be as judgemental as dickens.

And thank you for accepting this discourse as an issue relating soley to the issue of "approval/disapproval". It only began as a response to your early comment that people don't have the right to disapprove.
As a teacher of people and German Shepherds, Woodsie, you'd be well aware that words are tricky? When you say that you and I judge, what meaning are you giving to the word judge?

1. To tentatively discern - to assess, determine the result of, form a critical opinion of, estimate, evaluate

2. To blame - to denounce, to authoritatively pronounce judgement on, to condemn, to revile
Like extremists (including religious fundamentalists) often do.

Both meanings, sadly, share the same word. And the meanings are worlds apart. One centred on enquiry, the other on belief.

I am sure many people in my journey through life have thought me a cockhead, as I am equally sure people have considered you a cockhead. So what, the best we can do is stay true to ourselves. But have you considered that some peopled judged cockheads really are cockheads.

As to the Adam Goodes thing, please leave me out.
Your sharp humour shows you have some smarts Woodsie. So don't you ever tire of the triteness of judging others as cockheads, or whatever. Hasn't it yet struck you how inane and feeble it all is?

Putting down another gives, at best, a temporary feeling of false superiority. And then it's gone. Shallow. Empty. Meaningless. And all you've managed to do is to spread some more ill-will into your world. And programmed a little more mean-spiritedness into your soul.

In a team everyone wishes the best for everyone else. We're on a team forum. The question is, are we team players?

Last edited:
As a teacher of people and German Shepherds, Woodsie, you'd be well aware that words are tricky? When you say that you and I judge, what meaning are you giving to the word judge?

1. To tentatively discern - to assess, determine the result of, form a critical opinion of, estimate, evaluate

2. To blame - to denounce, to authoritatively pronounce judgement on, to condemn, to revile
Like extremists (including religious fundamentalists) often do.

Both meanings, sadly, share the same word. And the meanings are worlds apart. One centred on enquiry, the other on belief.

By my posts it would be clear that the first definition is the one I argued. And yes, I admit I am less of a wordsmith than a german shepherd trainer.

But, if someone was to say, call for the return of public floggings for minor offences, wouldn't you denounce, condemn and revile them. If not that but some other issue that was of significant importance to you.

I believe as a man of character you would. I think our differences are one of degrees.

Your sharp humour shows you have some smarts Woodsie. So don't you ever tire of the triteness of judging others as cockheads, or whatever. Hasn't it yet struck you how inane and feeble it all is?

Putting down another gives, at best, a temporary feeling of false superiority. And then it's gone. Shallow. Empty. Meaningless. And all you've managed to do is to spread some more ill-will into your world. And programmed a little more mean-spiritedness into your soul.

In a team everyone wishes the best for everyone else. We're on a team forum. The question is, are we team players?

Good lord Rex, this all started because I laughed at @ricardo calling Thorpe a cockhead. As far as this forum is concerned, the things Foran and other players are called on a daily basis make that pale into insignificance.

Ps.. As a challenge, see if you can find one (1) derogartory comment I have made towards any manly player in any of my posts. I believe the harshest I have been is to say Brown is a good footballer but not an 80min 2nd rower, and I remember suggesting Green should learn the 2nd row caper in reggies first.

A Christian? Really? Gee I would never have guessed that.
And for your info, nobody needs your approval to be who they are.
And nobody needs the approval of your imaginary friend either.
The stuff that Catholic priests get up to is much worse than anything portrayed in those pics you've posted. Much worse. It's a pity you don't 'disapprove' of serious matters like that instead of things which hurt nobody.
Who said I don't disapprove about what the corrupt hypocrites Priest do . There is corruption in the police force there is corruption at school with school teachers and corruption with Doctors 's and even in families where fathers molest their kids . Does this mean you and I molest our kids as well bones?
Where there is human nature there is corruption.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7