The Penn Ownership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Do you define success as winning or making money? Perhaps fans have a different view compared to owners
Winning and Making Money are both Great Achievements

Some have the ability to Win and not make money
Some have the ability to Keep making money and Keep losing

The Greater ones have the ability to Keep Winning and Keep Making Money

I have always believed that the greatest asset in any great organization are the Great people that it acquires

Love them or hate them, without the Penn family our club would basically be ‘Kaput’. They have invested millions, and yes, they’ve made millions from the sale of the club premises, however, that’s just purely a business decision and within their rights to do so.

Sure, Scott is not like a Nic Politis, but then not many are.

I don’t know Scott Penn from a bar of soap, however, clearly his family, and I stress ‘his family’, have a deep passion for the club. Whether you agree with how you perceive Scott is running the club, and that’s open to conjecture, as there is a board of directors, and while his family are the major shareholders, the Board still has to be in cohesion with business decisions.

I think Mestrov is doing a pretty good job and is making hard decisions, decisions fans may not necessarily agree with, however, decisions are being made and we, who have knowledge as to why, are always free to criticise, and that’s fair enough.

Manly are the only team to have won a premiership in each decade since the 70’s and we still have 7 years to go to continue the tradition.

Love them or hate them, without the Penn family our club would basically be ‘Kaput’. They have invested millions, and yes, they’ve made millions from the sale of the club premises, however, that’s just purely a business decision and within their rights to do so.

I don’t know Scott Penn from a bar of soap, however, clearly his family, and I stress ‘his family’, have a deep passion for the club. Whether you agree with how you perceive Scott is running the club, and that’s open to conjecture, as there is a board of directors, and while his family are the major shareholders, the Board still has to be in cohesion with business decisions.

I think Mestrov is doing a pretty good job and is making hard decisions, decisions fans may not necessarily agree with, however, decisions are being made and we, who have knowledge as to why, are always free to criticise, and that’s fair enough.

Manly are the only team to have won a premiership in each decade since the 70’s and we still have 7 years to go to continue the tradition.
In the past you may have been able to argue that but not now
Also @Ryan can provide some background on the leagues club I believe

There is something about his smile.

View attachment 25430

gallery-icon

Nah, Penn reminds me of this bloke, Mystery Man from the David Lynch movie The Lost Highway.
Screenshot_20231031_121612_Chrome.jpg

Super creepy.

Edit: that was Robert Blake in his last screen role. Looks like real life sort of replicated his last film appearance.

Last edited:
I find it amazing the amount of hatred the Penn family has from Silvertails members. Ever since they took over Quantum's shares after they bailed, the hatred seems to of intensified.

They have held this club together financially the last 10 years.

If you listen to the Watmough podcast, it was Quantum that was the evil part of management , not the Penns. Without them we would be a basket case.

The much loved Tooves does not come out of this as a very good coach whatsoever according to Watmough.

Do you define success as winning or making money? Perhaps fans have a different view compared to owners

Both
I go by you have to spend money to make money.
Spend the required dollars to be successful on the field and you get more free to air time slots which attracts more sponsorship dollars.
Roosters, Panthers and the Storm are prime examples of this.

I find it amazing the amount of hatred the Penn family has from Silvertails members. Ever since they took over Quantum's shares after they bailed, the hatred seems to of intensified.

They have held this club together financially the last 10 years.

If you listen to the Watmough podcast, it was Quantum that was the evil part of management , not the Penns. Without them we would be a basket case.

The much loved Tooves does not come out of this as a very good coach whatsoever according to Watmough.

yeah quantum were no snowflakes. Met a few on the leeds tour and they were pretty arrogant. I remember one in particular carrying on as if he owned the players .

one thing ive asked on here before and im not certain of how it panned out, so any clarification would be helpful, but quantum and the FC were aligned in voting meaning for some time Penn was a financial passenger

at one time I think The FC asked for some coin, maybe an advance or similar from Penn

I think they implied for a footy purpose. They then redirected that money to buy shares instead and this gave quantum and FC a majority vote and Penn was suitably unhappy

Now im not sure exactly how this happened but something similar to this happened. It was in the news from memory as i have No insider goss. There was some crowing about the swiftie from memory which would have been a bitter pill

In saying that Penn was a saviour in timing and deserved the credit but im not sure if his time may have passed. Up to him, he owns it but i presume many think a NRL club needs to be funded better than what it is and some advances to buy the club may have seen that eventuate, MAY

I certainly understand his attitude with the board room wars etc but a heavy hitting financial partner would possibly end in a more competitive footy team to support

any clarification regarding the share thing would be appreciated. surely someone has a memory better than mine

I find it distasteful the notion that any one person/family/company can own a sporting club.
All sports club are a collective, and mean so much more to so many people than a singular entity can ever hope to understand and appreciate.
Whilst privatisation is happening everywhere in the western world, having a financial interest in a collective doesn't guarantee acting in the best interests of the majority.

I find it distasteful the notion that any one person/family/company can own a sporting club.
All sports club are a collective, and mean so much more to so many people than a singular entity can ever hope to understand and appreciate.
Whilst privatisation is happening everywhere in the western world, having a financial interest in a collective doesn't guarantee acting in the best interests of the majority.

Manly only became privately owned as we were bankrupt. The back door private funding from Packer was over.

Would have you preferred the club had withered and died?

Almost all successful clubs worldwide are privately owned. This is the world of professional sport.

I have met Scott Penn and I have business associates who know him and I like him and Rick Penn. I also have followed his other business interests and they all seemed to be run well.

However the results are the results and to date under his sole ownership Manly haven’t been very successful on the field and probably off the field as well.

We haven’t been terrible and we are nothing like the tigers or dragons however due to our history we all expect more and in comparison to our history we have not been very successful in the last nine years.

In saying that let’s hope that all turns around in the next ten years.

Last edited:
Both
I go by you have to spend money to make money.
Spend the required dollars to be successful on the field and you get more free to air time slots which attracts more sponsorship dollars.
Roosters, Panthers and the Storm are prime examples of this.
Or you run it as a loss as it suit’s your overall business plan

Just putting this here for all the comment about the Penn family putting in their hard earned....

I am afraid that the people who think Penn is in it for purely altruistic reasons - at great financial cost to himself and his family - are like the people still trying to avoid paying the toll, in the toll free Victoria Road underpass at Rozelle.

Only 6 years mate. We'd better get moving

Penn needs to take a back seat from running the club. There has been too many times where he has gotten too involved with the appointing and firing of coaches etc. and it all seemed to be because of his ego and it makes the club look bad.

Even if he has to vote on these decisions at a board level, just keep it in the boardroom and stay out of the media. I mean all the **** he says like "its a results driven business" and what he said on Des after rainbow jersey drama just comes back and bites himself in the ass when you look at the decisions and the clubs record over the past decade.

From the Foxsports article:

“There’s a really clear accountability for everyone so I’ve been doing this for a while now, 20 years.

“This is the best I’ve seen, but now it is over to you guys but I do genuinely want you to know this is the best structure we’ve ever had at the club.”

My take - in the immortal words of Mandy Rice-Davies: “He would say that, wouldn’t he.”

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8