The Penn Ownership

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

The Who

Journey Man
I'm no historian but I understand that the Penn family took full control of the Manly Sea Eagles in 2014.
Since that time our historically successful First Grade team has not made a grand final.
Co-incidence?

I'm no historian but I understand that the Penn family took full control of the Manly Sea Eagles in 2014.
Since that time our historically successful First Grade team has not made a grand final.
Co-incidence?

Well it was they who made the "results driven business" decision to bring in an unqualified, inexperienced chair freak to coach the NRL side.

Seriously what were they thinking.

Well it was they who made the "results driven business" decision to bring in an unqualified, inexperienced chair freak to coach the NRL side.

Seriously what were they thinking.
Yeah that was the day the music died for sure.

They were great in helping save the club,NO doubt but they just arnt rich enough or committed enough it seems to go the full monty ...... Says me who does jack all. Ironic yes

while they never seemed fully vested i think the salary cap rort and defence was just too big a hill to climb. I presume it cost a motza and apart from the des appeasment seem to have done nothing above the minimum requirement

Surely private ownership can secure more third party than we do

Co-incidence?
Yes.. and no. The exit strategy from the 2007-2013 ageing star team was a nightmare. It was more a football department issue, but I guess the owners have some say in that.

It pains me to admit it but our once great club that was almost always in contention for the highest honour is no longer. Private ownership has not worked on the field, although I imagine it's not hurt the Penns' finances.
We are now a middle ranking club, a suburban outfit battling the financial might of one-city clubs, clubs with endless poker machine revenues, and a club with a billionaire owner with more clout than a sledgehammer.
Manly. Just making up the numbers.

It pains me to admit it but our once great club that was almost always in contention for the highest honour is no longer. Private ownership has not worked on the field, although I imagine it's not hurt the Penns' finances.
We are now a middle ranking club, a suburban outfit battling the financial might of one-city clubs, clubs with endless poker machine revenues, and a club with a billionaire owner with more clout than a sledgehammer.
Manly. Just making up the numbers.
Just not thinking Manly is a money making juggernaut that the Penn's can say they are making millions from.

For anyone who wants to understand why I think that the club will never be long term successful under the Penn family have a read of this article

The days of losing money when owning a NRL club are long gone - basically you have to be incompetent to lose money (which is why the west tigers do)

What does this have to do with Manly?

Well ask yourself the question what is the incentive for the owners to invest more money in say membership staff when the potential return could be viewed as a risk? Why would the owners move home games to make more money? Why would they over invest in things like a local reserve grade team rather than co branded with Blacktown?

For anyone who wants to understand why I think that the club will never be long term successful under the Penn family have a read of this article

The days of losing money when owning a NRL club are long gone - basically you have to be incompetent to lose money (which is why the west tigers do)

What does this have to do with Manly?

Well ask yourself the question what is the incentive for the owners to invest more money in say membership staff when the potential return could be viewed as a risk? Why would the owners move home games to make more money? Why would they over invest in things like a local reserve grade team rather than co branded with Blacktown?
What Happens to my posts on here ?

Penn is the wrong person to run the club, yes he is rich but nowhere in the class of Politis.

If we had Politis as our owner we would be a top 8 team every year and very likely won at least one and probably more premierships in the last 10 years.

Also run clubs are always going to struggle financially and have to pay overs to attract top players.
Teams that are always challenging for a premiership have to spend big but they also attract more sponsors which covers the extra cost.
Players want to play for those teams and will take unders to do so.

While Penn is the owner it is when and not if that we will get a wooden spoon.

They were removed as they were nothing more than spam. There are no issues if you post something that is an opinion or a view but they did not add anything to the discussion
I thought in a forum every perspective has its point of view and matters

The moral of my story ...
All lives Matter @Isz...... Blacks , Whites and Bozos :)

If You Say So Wow GIF by Identity

Our ownership by the Penns has been disastrous for the club in almost every way possible. Any limited, short-term success we have had under this ownership has been in spite of the Penns, not because of them.

Bozo old son, bring it in tight: your posts are like a 33/45/78 record that has hit the end of the track/s and the stylus is now making that repetitive skipping noise, until you lift it off the record. You know, the same thing, over and over and over…

…anyway, Isz has merely lifted the needle off the record for awhile.;)

Views yes

Pointless memes no.

I don’t like Penn even though I do not personally know the bloke. I doubt anyone on this site could claim to actually know him.
Based upon the same logic and or intuition I very much doubt his family’s intentions and overall involvement with the club is one based upon making more $! The Penns are entrepreneurial enough to obtain better returns putting their time and money elsewhere. There is obviously some kind of love for the club involved. Call it dysfunctional love if you wish.

I don’t like Penn even though I do not personally know the bloke. I doubt anyone on this site could claim to actually know him.
Based upon the same logic and or intuition I very much doubt his family’s intentions and overall involvement with the club is one based upon making more $! The Penns are entrepreneurial enough to obtain better returns putting their time and money elsewhere. There is obviously some kind of love for the club involved. Call it dysfunctional love if you wish.
Whilst this may be true, owning a professional sporting team gives credibility and brand value to his family businesses, all of which are based on weight loss, nutrition, etc. This is the primary reason the Penn family own a team. The fact that it is NRL, and Manly in particular, has just as much to do with affordability, as any 'love'/support for the club.

Are you aware of their dealings with the leagues club?

Scott Penn (and family) are business people. He isn't an actor with plenty of time on his hands nor is he stationed in Australia. That may give off the effect of apathy, and/or not caring, but who knows what the real situation is?

I'm a firm believer (given his ownership by correspondence) we need a sporting director to run everything (football centred) like Ben Ikin. Look at what he's achieved at The Broncos. Let Mestrov & the other fellas focus on the business side of the club.

Honestly, I would have loved for the NRL to allow Laurie Dailey to be that guy for us when it was being discussed, but alas. Hell, I'd poach Ben Ikin if possible. He's done his work with Kevvie. Share the love / wealth.

Yeah that was the day the music died for sure.

They were great in helping save the club,NO doubt but they just arnt rich enough or committed enough it seems to go the full monty ...... Says me who does jack all. Ironic yes

while they never seemed fully vested i think the salary cap rort and defence was just too big a hill to climb. I presume it cost a motza and apart from the des appeasment seem to have done nothing above the minimum requirement

Surely private ownership can secure more third party than we do
James I know you and I disagree a lot mate. But respectful on this one you are wrong. Max had done the heavy lifting in saving the club before pelican Penn came along.

The problem is now thanks to PVL and abdo's great leadership all clubs are now profitable so this pelican won't be selling any time soon

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
8 5 3 51 12
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 5 4 -14 10
9 4 5 -16 8
9 4 5 -19 8