The only change that can save Des

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Nike

Reserve Grader
First of all, I acknowledge the fans who are pleading for stability and recommending we persist with Hasler for at least the time being, not only is that logic sound it's backed up by the reality of the situation as it would stand if Hasler was gone now, there are no proven coaches available that can parachute themselves in and get this lineup firing, I am reluctant to refer to our players as sh#t despite the obvious fact they're not up to first grade standard.

In my opinion, and please note this post is an opinion and I'm not a professional rugby league analyst, tactician or anything of the like, but from my experience following the game before I could even muster an expletive at the television in reaction - I think the primary issue is a combination of the following in descending order.

1. Poor recruitment - when is the last time a professional pundit has said anything contrary to our glaring lack of depth.
  2. Poor team selection - it's obvious the experience over potential experiment has run its course and failed, this is not a reactionary observation, just review the last few seasons where underperforming players were consistently chosen due to the perceived ability of handling NRL level football.
  3. Poor salary cap management - I love DCE, the Turbo brothers and Marty, but at the overall percentage of our cap they absorb in my opinion can no longer be ignored, especially compared to other successful teams.

I don't think Des is a horrible coach, I believe that a successful team is made up of many parts, from the front house to the field working together, meeting or exceeding potential to create something that results in the sum of all parts being worth more then the individuals within it.

If Des cannot address the poor recruitment (Fulton), institute some kind of selection panel, whatever that may resemble and make some tough calls around our marquee players I truly believe that is when the buck stops with him and amendments need to be made.

Now I hate to say it because I love this club just as much as you or anyone else, but considering my opinions unless there are drastic updates to the operations of our football department, there will be drastic, and very damaging changes to personnel which may take a lot longer to fix than the aforementioned.

Just my 2c. I'm not, nor pretending to speak as an authority on the matter - this is my opinion and an observant yet passionate layman.

Last edited:
First of all, I acknowledge the fans who are pleading for stability and recommending we persist with Hasler for at least the time being, not only is that logic sound it's backed up by the reality of the situation as it would stand if Hasler was gone now, there are no proven coaches available that can parachute themselves in and get this lineup firing, I am reluctant to refer to our players as sh#t despite the obvious fact they're not up to first grade standard.

In my opinion, and please note this post is an opinion and I'm not a professional rugby league analyst, tactician or anything of the like, but from my experience following the game before I could even muster an expletive at the television in reaction - I think the primary issue is a combination of the following in descending order.

1. Poor recruitment - when is the last time a professional pundit has said anything contrary to our glaring lack of depth.
  2. Poor team selection - it's obvious the experience over potential experiment has run its course and failed, this is not a reactionary observation, just review the last few seasons where underperforming players were consistently chosen due to the perceived ability of handling NRL level football.
  3. Poor salary cap management - I love DCE, the Turbo brothers and Marty, but at the overall percentage of our cap they absorb in my opinion can no longer be ignored, especially compared to other successful teams.

I don't think Des is a horrible coach, I believe that a successful team is made up of many parts, from the front house to the field working together, meeting or exceeding potential to create something that results in the sum of all parts being worth more then the individuals within it.

If Des cannot address the poor recruitment (Fulton), institute some kind of selection panel, whatever that may resemble and make some tough calls around our marquee players I truly believe that is when the buck stops with him and amendments need to be made.

Now I hate to say it because I love this club just as much as you or anyone else, but considering my opinions unless there are drastic updates to the operations of our football department, there will be drastic, and very damaging changes to personnel which may take a lot longer to fix than the aforementioned.

Just my 2c. I'm not, nor pretending to speak as an authority on the matter - this is my opinion and an observant yet passionate layman.
Mate your allowed to have your say thats what this place is for and you have valid points..everyone does..i suggest you do what myself and others are doing..call the club when you can and tell them your concerns..they need to hear it

The only 2 other concerns of mine are fainu and turbo
Both have let the club down
Fainus gang issues leading to where he is today
Turbo out drinking racing everyday people on cement so close to season start when he knows he has hammy probs only to slip in his bathroom hungover the next morning and blame that cough cough and after all the work to get him right for 21 shows the lack of concern for the club and fans by him
These guys are professional athletes but acted like knobs..ask yourself at full squad would we be where we are now

One big thing I'm hearing is that there are rumblings/rumors that Des could actually be gone after the Souffs game this coming weekend if we lose like we did on Saturday and his selections continue to hold back some of the young guns (i.e. Schuster and Cust) while perennial underperformers (e.g. Parker, Garrick, Croker) continue to be played despite repeated mediocre performances.

Fulton is bringing a lot of kids through. It is Des who keeps picking guys who wouldn't start 1st grade elsewhere. Schuster, Guac, Fainu's, Koula, Weekes, Alec T. Harold Matts undefeated and SG Ball doing really well.
99% of those juniors Fulton is bringing through are the type of kids that carve up in their age group but soon as they start playing fully grown experienced men,they are found wanting.I’m going go against the tide and say I’m not convinced about Schuster yet.He played 1 half of first grade last year, had 1 no look pass that eventually led to a try,was trigger happy with the boot then got injured.Watched him specifically yesterday and other than playing the full game,it was the same as his first grade debut.I hope he does convince me he’s a star but I can see why Hasler is still reluctant to make him a regular in first grade

I seriously think Des should try his best to get dce, tom and Jake to all take considerable pay cuts. Take off a total of 600K from all three and we’d be able to buy a great winger, and depth hooker. Release Walker, Sironen, Jetski and maybe Taupau as well, then we can buy a great centre, 1 depth second-rower (Davey, Olakautau starting) and a first-line, young lock (Jake to prop in Taupau’s spot). Totally refreshes our squad.

Won’t happen, dce, tom and jake just won’t do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
99% of those juniors Fulton is bringing through are the type of kids that carve up in their age group but soon as they start playing fully grown experienced men,they are found wanting.I’m going go against the tide and say I’m not convinced about Schuster yet.He played 1 half of first grade last year, had 1 no look pass that eventually led to a try,was trigger happy with the boot then got injured.Watched him specifically yesterday and other than playing the full game,it was the same as his first grade debut.I hope he does convince me he’s a star but I can see why Hasler is still reluctant to make him a regular in first grade
Yeah I watched the Blacktown game and thought the same re Schu. Foran was good on Sat aside from sone poor D. He’s so injury prone anyway that we will see the Schu soon enough.

Would you rather he gets his development in first grade, even if off the bench? Or have him (and lets face it, his manager) unhappy playing for Blacktown and then get poached by a Chooks or Souffs where he goes on to be a superstar?

So what Benji said about Schuster last year is just BS? You infer he didn’t impress against the Tigers yet Benji says it was the best ever first up performance or debut he’s seen from a youngster & believes he will be a star....sorry mate but I think Benji knows a little more than you do. Schuster was head & heels above everyone on the field in the trial also. I guess all the youngsters the same age as Schuster playing across the other 15 teams are just there to make up the numbers & are not making a difference. Tell that to Bradman Best etc.

One big thing I'm hearing is that there are rumblings/rumors that Des could actually be gone after the Souffs game this coming weekend if we lose like we did on Saturday and his selections continue to hold back some of the young guns (i.e. Schuster and Cust) while perennial underperformers (e.g. Parker, Garrick, Croker) continue to be played despite repeated mediocre performances.
Des gone after this weekend? “Sauce” please as that is stupidly ridiculous!

Des gone after this weekend? “Sauce” please as that is stupidly ridiculous!

We've lost 13 of our past 16 competition games, some by hefty margins (such as Saturday's 46-4 loss) as well as getting pumped by the Tigpies in the trial. People, not just fans, are unhappy.

Starting with last year, we are going backwards fast. We lost AFB and Thommo. We lost our only real hooker replacement for Fainu and we're currently getting little value from our highest paid players. We've got a young gun pivot in the making, plus Walker, yet we signed an aging and physically suspect Foran who has been handed first choice. Plus we've got some perennial underperformers who keep getting selected while potential replacements keep getting ignored and turning out for Blacktown, which if we're not careful will see some of them leave seeking better opportunities.

Its not a happy time in camp Manly and right now fingers are starting to be pointed at the coach.

We've lost 13 of our past 16 competition games, some by hefty margins (such as Saturday's 46-4 loss) as well as getting pumped by the Tigpies in the trial. People, not just fans, are unhappy.

Starting with last year, we are going backwards fast. We lost AFB and Thommo. We lost our only real hooker replacement for Fainu and we're currently getting little value from our highest paid players. We've got a young gun pivot in the making, plus Walker, yet we signed an aging and physically suspect Foran who has been handed first choice. Plus we've got some perennial underperformers who keep getting selected while potential replacements keep getting ignored and turning out for Blacktown, which if we're not careful will see some of them leave seeking better opportunities.

Its not a happy time in camp Manly and right now fingers are starting to be pointed at the coach.
As they should. Hopefully its the wake up call Des needed!

And while we know that Des is famous for a lot of misdirection in his quotes to the media, when we lose a game 46-4 and the coach comes out and says that there will be little, if any selection changes for the next game despite playing who most actually feel are the premiership favourites ... questions are being asked.

Hope so, Des doesn’t show the passion he used to, but if your rumours are true who have they lined up? Someone mentioned Flannegan would be a good choice and I somewhat agree, although he isn’t manly he is always invested into the team and will do anything to win.

Hope so, Des doesn’t show the passion he used to, but if your rumours are true who have they lined up? Someone mentioned Flannegan would be a good choice and I somewhat agree, although he isn’t manly he is always invested into the team and will do anything to win.

I have absolutely no idea who a potential replacement could be. Although some fools on Twitter seem to think that Barrett will quit the Dogs and come back here.

I seriously think Des should try his best to get dce, tom and Jake to all take considerable pay cuts. Take off a total of 600K from all three and we’d be able to buy a great winger, and depth hooker. Release Walker, Sironen, Jetski and maybe Taupau as well, then we can buy a great centre, 1 depth second-rower (Davey, Olakautau starting) and a first-line, young lock (Jake to prop in Taupau’s spot). Totally refreshes our squad.

Won’t happen, dce, tom and jake just won’t do it.
Could always give their Dad a 400k a year Garbo job!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8