The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Ben T vs Schu is a smoke screen by the media. Ben T was always going to be in the 17.

The real question is why is Waddel in the team over Schu.
Waddell is coming on in the middle and Schu’s role is to ball play on an edge. Of course, injury during match play might mean Waddell ends up on an edge but he is being selected as part of the middle forward rotation.

Undoubtedly Josh is a very talented footballer with alot to offer but does his skill set blend in with and improve the balance of the team? I'm very thankful I don't have to make that decision.
I think it does. @Andrew.. He demonstrated that pretty well in 2021, but since that season, he has been unable to consistently back that up for 80 minutes. I don't think he has the fitness, mental strength, or internal fortitude required to play NRL as an 80-minute player.

The answer might be to job share the lock role with Nathan Brown. In this scenario, Jake starts at prop and stays there for the full 80 minutes. Brown is the starting lock, with Schuster coming into the match after 20-25 minutes. Brown comes back into the lock role after the halftime break, with Schuster closing out the game after 20/25 minutes.

Potentially (utilising this scenario), our best pack and reserves could look something like this:

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Aloiai

Last edited:
I think it does. @Andrew.. He demonstrated that pretty well in 2021, but since that season, he has been unable to consistently back that up for 80 minutes. I don't think he has the fitness, mental strength, or internal fortitude required to play NRL as an 80-minute player.

The answer might be to job share the lock role with Nathan Brown. In this scenario, Jake starts at prop and stays there for the full 80 minutes. Brown is the starting lock, with Schuster coming into the match after 20-25 minutes. Brown comes back into the lock role after the halftime break, with Schuster closing out the game after 20/25 minutes.

Potentially (utilising this scenario), our best pack and reserves could look something like this:

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Strong lineup but maybe still the requirement to give Froggy a break .
Lawton , Humphries types also maybe still needed in the mix on the bench

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Aloiai
I like this idea, Schuster is such a talent, we need to utilize him somewhere in the team. Having him playing two 20min halves against tiring defences could work for us in a big way. Maybe Seib's could be thinking the same way on this.

Could be interesting where Parker may play in the Blacktown line up .
Obviously did not play in Vagas so probably best for him to have a run again even if he is on the extended bench for i st grade
Shu to be in the back row so most likely Parker centre even if he is being looked at more as a edge prospect these days

Could be interesting where Parker may play in the Blacktown line up .
Obviously did not play in Vagas so probably best for him to have a run again even if he is on the extended bench for i st grade
Shu to be in the back row so most likely Parker centre even if he is being looked at more as a edge prospect these days
mmm..You run the risk of being burnt at the stake al, for even suggesting Parker could possibly be playing centre for Blacktown this Sunday.

Waddell is coming on in the middle and Schu’s role is to ball play on an edge. Of course, injury during match play might mean Waddell ends up on an edge but he is being selected as part of the middle forward rotation.
t

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Aloiai
This assumes froggy plays eighty minutes which I think is not the best. You’d have both Jake and croker tackling for eighty minutes and our attack would go to **** as they’d be tired. Much prefer lawton over schuster as our utility at the moment.

t

This assumes froggy plays eighty minutes which I think is not the best. You’d have both Jake and croker tackling for eighty minutes and our attack would go to **** as they’d be tired. Much prefer lawton over schuster as our utility at the moment.
.... I'm fine with Lawman at 14 but I'd also be good with Humphries, GCKT, and Jake Arthur too .... and Sipley will be back before Lodge

Paseka
Croker
Jake
Olakau'atu
Burbo
Brown

Schuster
Bullemore
Lodge
Aloiai
If Jake is playing 80 in the front row you don’t need 3 middles on the bench.

I like that starting team though… my bench at full strength would be:

14. Lawton/Humphreys
15. Schuster
16. Lodge
17. Sipley/Bully/Aloiai

If Jake is playing 80 in the front row you don’t need 3 middles on the bench.

I like that starting team though… my bench at full strength would be:

14. Lawton/Humphreys
15. Schuster
16. Lodge
17. Sipley/Bully/Aloiai
It’s been commonplace in the NRL for years now to have a forward that can play both an edge and in the middle, on the bench. They usually get a shorter stint (than the other replacements) in the middle, typically late in games. They’re only used on an edge if injury occurs during the game, given most edge forwards play the full 80. Alternatively, they sometimes replace the lock that is tackling themselves to a standstill in the middle.

To have Haumole (not going to happen) or Ben T sub off because there is another edge forward on the pine, would be highly unusual. It could happen but it would be a fresh tactical approach by Seibold, not common practice.

Unless Schu suddenly demands a starting spot on the edge, I can see Seibold using him in the middle off the bench, in the same way Hasler used Dylan Walker (ball playing role in middle).

It’s been commonplace in the NRL for years now to have a forward that can play both an edge and in the middle, on the bench. They usually get a shorter stint (than the other replacements) in the middle, typically late in games. They’re only used on an edge if injury occurs during the game, given most edge forwards play the full 80. Alternatively, they sometimes replace the lock that is tackling themselves to a standstill in the middle.

To have Haumole (not going to happen) or Ben T sub off because there is another edge forward on the pine, would be highly unusual. It could happen but it would be a fresh tactical approach by Seibold, not common practice.

Unless Schu suddenly demands a starting spot on the edge, I can see Seibold using him in the middle off the bench, in the same way Hasler used Dylan Walker (ball playing role in middle).

All the talk pre season was Shu at second row and Burbo on the bench..so what's the difference if it's Burbo to start and Shu off the bench??.. actually a fit and focused Shu off the bench covers a few options.

All the talk pre season was Shu at second row and Burbo on the bench..so what's the difference if it's Burbo to start and Shu off the bench??.. actually a fit and focused Shu off the bench covers a few options.
I'm suggesting Schu could come off the bench? I'm just relaying that it would be outside the ordinary for him to come on and play on an edge, because typically edge forwards play 80 minutes. Not saying it won't or shouldn't happen, just pointing out that not many teams sub their edge forwards with other edge forwards from the bench (unless there is an injury mid-game). Most teams use a utility to cover 9 and then have 3 other forwards. Two of which are usually strictly props, followed by a more versatile middle/backrow (Waddell for example).

The Ben T vs Schu is a smoke screen by the media. Ben T was always going to be in the 17.

The real question is why is Waddel in the team over Schu.
Fitness I imagine… pox, injuries and coming off a questionable fitness base last season…
Schu just needs to get up to speed and, as many other contributors have pointed out, coming off the pine won’t help…
Given their respective “values”, I can’t see Corey staying in front of Josh for long once his fitness is where the coaches want it (barring further injuries or a catastrophic showing in reggies)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8