The Manly Way

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
It was mostly the younger players and a few of the newer ones like Brown, Matterson, Waddell, Arthur

Brooks has been around a long time, guess that’s why he wasn’t required to attend

Some of the younger players included that I spotted were;

Lehi Hopoate.
James Uesele
Bailey Hodgson
Tommy Talau
Jaxson Paulo
Charlie Thompson
Aitasi James
Kobe Rugless
Tylor Bunting
Faulolo (spell check) was also there.

I was conflicted watching the torture treatment endured by these men. I could understand if they were training to be in the military, but will wading though water, carrying an oar, being left in the dark at North Head etc. help them on the football field? Certainly in will help their fitness and possibly their mental strength. But would not 30 hours of skills training achieve the same fitness aim, along with the bonus of improving their passing, running, kicking, tackling, decision-making and RL-related skills?
Does such torture training eliminate the truly gifted athletes in favour of gladiators who may be prepared to run through brick walls but will not have the RL-smarts nor hand-eye co-ordination to catch, pass and put themselves in the correct position at the right time to score tries?
I chose cricket over rugby to pursue when I left school because I enjoyed cricket training more as it involved skills training and a minimum amount of 'mindless' fitness training. After seeing what RL players have to go through these days I know I would never have lasted in the rugby codes.

I was conflicted watching the torture treatment endured by these men. I could understand if they were training to be in the military, but will wading though water, carrying an oar, being left in the dark at North Head etc. help them on the football field? Certainly in will help their fitness and possibly their mental strength. But would not 30 hours of skills training achieve the same fitness aim, along with the bonus of improving their passing, running, kicking, tackling, decision-making and RL-related skills?
Does such torture training eliminate the truly gifted athletes in favour of gladiators who may be prepared to run through brick walls but will not have the RL-smarts nor hand-eye co-ordination to catch, pass and put themselves in the correct position at the right time to score tries?
I chose cricket over rugby to pursue when I left school because I enjoyed cricket training more as it involved skills training and a minimum amount of 'mindless' fitness training. After seeing what RL players have to go through these days I know I would never have lasted in the rugby codes.
It takes you to some dark places where your mental fortitude is needed, this happens in the paddock as well especially at the end of a game in a tight tussle. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I found that it helped me knowing what I was capable of even though I felt I had nothing left.

There has been lots of talk about the teams fitness for years. My personal view is that we have been plenty fit enough but lack the mental fitness and fortitude

tough to change established culture in the club but all change is generational And most of those players were young and possibly the future

Manly tend to accept the teams limits far too easily and cave in, never really moving the dial on resilience for a fair few years now

im sure bootcamps historically have been part of the pre season structure but i can see the possible benefits

i would like to see the firsts team do this next week and see if they have the same data. I would also love to have seen schuster and the rep stars part of it for leadership and fitness

when playing sport i always wanted to test myself against the leaders and teams above

It takes you to some dark places where your mental fortitude is needed, this happens in the paddock as well especially at the end of a game in a tight tussle. Not saying it’s right or wrong but I found that it helped me knowing what I was capable of even though I felt I had nothing left.
Apart from that I guess it also provides some variation to the normal pre season torture fitness training and also gives the coaching staff some indication of who ‘has it’ (mental toughness and determination etc) and who hasn’t?

Apart from that I guess it also provides some variation to the normal pre season torture fitness training and also gives the coaching staff some indication of who ‘has it’ (mental toughness and determination etc) and who hasn’t?
Every NRL Preseason Fitness Regime Reveals a players Attitude , Character , Mental toughness and Resilience @The Wheel .

Not to mention forging comraderie and working/achieving together as a team.
Batting in the nets will never achieve what this type of training would.
Just because an Athlete is batting in the nets on his own does not mean they dont have the passion for a do or die battle on game day for their team mates

An example is when NRL players do personal best bench sessions in the gym
They strive for their personal best so they can do their Best for their team mates on the field

All Team Training consist of both one on one and all for for one team sessions

1705374411505.png

Brooks is our 2024 marquee signing and assured of selection in the top side. I think this would be a reason he didn't participate in the camp.

Wading through water, carrying an oar could be useful against the Sharks ...... and maybe the Dolphins.

Not to mention forging comraderie and working/achieving together as a team.
Batting in the nets will never achieve what this type of training would.

So Terry Randall, John Harvey, John O'Neill, Geoff Toovey and David Gillespie would of been tougher if they trained in this way?

Mind...... completely blown.

So Terry Randall, John Harvey, John O'Neill, Geoff Toovey and David Gillespie would of been tougher if they trained in this way?

100% but different eras Bob
I recall as a youngster 12 -15yo even at training where every session that was bleeding noses, black eyes, bark missing everywhere....and I loved it....most did...
And the Randall era was 20 years before me and would have been tougher again
The kids today are far softer and run to mum and dad with the slightest thing and I feel this type of mental toughness is a great thing.
It was almost an individual test of toughness and then they kind of bonded together having shared the same experiences and then supported each other in groups also, like it was them against the world.
I get it and see benefits to both tighten the group and also build mental fortitude.
In saying that I was glad to be watching from the comfort of my couch 😅

I have the same perspective feathered friend ...

All the Boys above are our Manly Golden Premiership Winning Boys
And Manly Premiership Winning rings are not made out of just Gold
They are made of Attitude , Character , Guts , Hard Yaka Resilience and Individual Brilliance
These are the Manly premiership Winning characteristics that no training methods can match

Character Wins in Grand Finals
Three of the Biggest Characters in Manly History
Des ,Spud and Pound for pound the most resilient and toughest character of all 2V
1705399889297.png

I have the same perspective feathered friend ...

All the Boys above are our Manly Golden Premiership Winning Boys
And Manly Premiership Winning rings are not made out of just Gold
They are made of Attitude , Character , Guts , Hard Yaka Resilience and Individual Brilliance
These are the Manly premiership Winning characteristics that no training methods can match

Character Wins in Grand Finals
Three of the Biggest Characters in Manly History
Des ,Spud and Pound for pound the most resilient and toughest character of all 2V
View attachment 25817
You and I both know that character comes from within Bozo....but never underestimate that character can be built, mental strength can be improved and my opinion is it's an area we have fallen short in the past few seasons when the going gets tough.
Just my opinion, but I back these methods and agree with the training tactics being used....I know 1 thing for sure, the mental and physical attributes are a Massive part of any sport in pressure moments when it becomes a dog fight, so I feel it's a positive...

You and I both know that character comes from within Bozo....but never underestimate that character can be built, mental strength can be improved and my opinion is it's an area we have fallen short in the past few seasons when the going gets tough.
Just my opinion, but I back these methods and agree with the training tactics being used....I know 1 thing for sure, the mental and physical attributes are a Massive part of any sport in pressure moments when it becomes a dog fight, so I feel it's a positive...
Thank you for your reply perspective feathered friend and this is how I see it .
We all have our capabilities and we can not all be Great coaches , Great CEOs , Great Refs or Great players no matter how much training we do .
This is why our Godfather did not waste his time with certain players he knew could not get the job done .Our Godfather had an Eagle Eye and was a great recruiter at both junior and elite level .
Selecting the right people at a club IE: Inspirational Head Coach and the right crop of salary cap stock is vital to its Premiership winning aspirations .

Thank you for your reply perspective feathered friend and this is how I see it .
We all have our capabilities and we can not all be Great coaches , Great CEOs , Great Refs or Great players no matter how much training we do .
This is why our Godfather did not waste his time with certain players he knew could not get the job done .Our Godfather had an Eagle Eye and was a great recruiter at both junior and elite level .
Selecting the right people at a club IE: Inspirational Head Coach and the right crop of salary cap stock is vital to its Premiership winning aspirations .
I agree with much of your Winning vision Bozo and this tough off season training stuff is a good thing, but I do agree with you that it needs to translate to winning results on the field and you know what....I'm quietly confident from what I've seen and heard that we are in for a good 2024 season....bring it on baby !!

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8