The Manly CENTRE dilemma is coming...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Reality time ....

Grand final winning centre of excellence Standards

Fulton
Branighan
Gartner
Knight
Willimas
Oconnor
Ines
Hill
Bell
Metai
Lyon

These are the centres that were capable to carry Manly over the Grand final finishing line
Darrell Willimas. Fine centre. Better fullback (for NZ at least). Certainly better than Darrell Williams.

Cioran

Bencher
Walker plays with Blacktown for 2 weeks. If, after 2 weeks, he proves that his speed, timing, and defence are up to standard - and if he hasn't been arrested or injured - than we try him in Parker's spot and Parker goes to the bench to cover wing, centre, and edge forward positions.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
'Favouritism' means unfair preference. Can you explain why you think his selection is unfair?

Des has a tendency to stick with his selections. You know that. Its been argued about over and again. He began this season stating Schuster was 5/8 and Foran was hooker. Bingo Schuster isnt even selected in the first game and only comes on through injury in the forwards. Foran is his golden head boy, that's why despite the problems he was having elsewhere he bought him to Canterbury. Now at Manly he brings him here. Cust is not in he same league as Schuster at 5/8 yet again he has him in the second row. I could be wrong but if Walker comes back into 5/8, ask the question, why?

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Des has a tendency to stick with his selections. You know that. Its been argued about over and again. He began this season stating Schuster was 5/8 and Foran was hooker. Bingo Schuster isnt even selected in the first game and only comes on through injury in the forwards. Foran is his golden head boy, that's why despite the problems he was having elsewhere he bought him to Canterbury. Now at Manly he brings him here. Cust is not in he same league as Schuster at 5/8 yet again he has him in the second row. I could be wrong but if Walker comes back into 5/8, ask the question, why?
Why indeed? Are you implying Des has a sinister secret agenda? I doubt that, although anything's possible in the world of rugby league intrigue.
You don't like Foran at 5/8 and you don't like Schuster at second row. Fair enough, that's a valid opinion, although I don't agree with it, and its hardly a basis for a conspiracy theory.
By the way, when did Des state Schuster would start the year as our 5/8? I never heard that.

wombatgc

KT 623
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I assume Des has brought Cust in at 5/8th & kept Schuster at second row for a couple of reasons - we're short on second row stock & it minimises disruption of the team.
Also Shuster has made a real go at second row more than many of us would’ve believed at the start of the season. I’m sure Shuster didn’t expect to be playing there. But he has made a real fist of it. The footwork in the middle of the ruck, and laying out blokes like Haas on their arses, he has impressed everyone, especially the coach.
Just lay off the no look pass, and barring injury I can’t see him moved into 5/8.

Last edited:

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I am blessed to be a Manly supporter and have seen Quality Grand Final winning centres and this is my conclusion

A Centre that is not capable of
making line breaks
Creating try assists
and scoring tries
is Like a Sea Eagle without Wings !
Id guess the above unnamed centre would probably go better than a bloke that likes to hit Doors (and have some time off) hit Girlfriends ( and have some time off) Hit blokes in the street( and have some time off) just given he's actually playing.

A lot can be said for actually being on the field and ok as opposed to being possibly great but never playing.

EOL now nesting on the GC

Official NRL commentator of the UK Royal Family
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Also Shuster has made a real go at second row more than many of us would’ve believed at the start of the season. I’m sure Shuster didn’t expect to be playing there. But he has made a fist of it. The footwork in the middle of the ruck, and laying out blokes like Haas on their arses, he has impressed everyone, especially the coach.
Just lay off the no look pass, and barring injury I can’t see him moved into 5/8.
He could obviously go ok in the 5/8 position but as a benji esque bally playing edge forward the kid is spectacular. could end the year as a possible near best in comp. I only see Fafita and Kikau as the 2 blokes streets ahead at the moment.

Stewbojevic

Reserve Grader
He could obviously go ok in the 5/8 position but as a benji esque bally playing edge forward the kid is spectacular. could end the year as a possible near best in comp. I only see Fafita and Kikau as the 2 blokes streets ahead at the moment.
Is Kikau really that good? He goes missing in most games, then has a monster every 4th week. Doesn’t even play 80.

Reminds me a bit of Tony Williams.

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
Reality time ....

Grand final winning centre of excellence Standards

Fulton
Branighan
Gartner
Knight
Willimas
Oconnor
Ines
Hill
Bell
Metai
Lyon

These are the centres that were capable to carry Manly over the Grand final finishing line
Gee Brayden Willimas in some good company. Didn’t think he was that good for us personally lol

Waz13

Let’s all have a chew!
I think Des is picking his best team with what’s available. Right now that’s with Schu in the back row and Cust into 6. Schu has arguably been one of the best backrowers in the comp on more recent time and right now his only replacement options that I can see are either Suli or Ben Turbo. It’s a no brainer to keep him there and play Cade at 6 imo. When Siri’s back I think we see Schu to 6.

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
A lot can be said for actually being on the field and ok as opposed to being possibly great but never playing.
Perspective time

You are happy with players that go OK against our opposition

and I am happy with players that TKO our opposition

I dont want to see sitting ducks
I want to see line breaks
Try assists
and Tries
I want to see flying Sea eagles because Sea eagles were meant to fly
And fly above the rest !!!

Because I want to see the Greatest version of Manly on the field

I want to see our players living up to the great winning playing standards that

made our club the Greatest club of all

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
I think Suli is purely getting a run on the bench to cover for Turbo coming off early or as injury cover.

have said it before but I’d love to see Schuster move to 13 for periods of the game similar to how Newcastle use Watson or how bunnies use Benji.

walker slotting into centre off the bench replacing Jake for a short spell with Schuster moving to lock would allow us to play more up tempo footy when the opposition gets tired and would be lethal as fatigue sets into the opposition.

The Indian

Bencher
If it ain't broke don't fix it. If Harper and Parker keep doing the job I say keep them there. It's not like the other two have set the world on fire previously ( in my opinion ).

To me Suli has been found out defensively too many times in terms of his reads in defence. Walker's best footy is a long time ago and it's up to him to show he still has it. Their day may come again through form or injury and I hope it does.... but it's a waiting game.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Alternate reality time.
Centre is a different position now compared to the past, even the recent past. Defensive nous and hard carries are two of their main jobs now.
Yes a speed machine with a swerve can be a weapon. James Roberts?
However it seems the number of centres in the top 10 this year for tries, try assists, line breaks and line break assists is zero - in each category.
May be coincidence, or maybe consistent with the changed role - and value - of the modern centre.
Good points those

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
10 7 3 69 16
12 7 5 135 14
11 7 4 59 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13