The Guthersation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
Heard him on an interview and hes a life long Manly supporter because of his grandmother.
And you're spot on, he's become very Manly.
He's hitting like a train in defence and is a player I think the young guys feel safe playing with when they see him take the field.
A real BK type in our rebuild and will always be Manly to me...
Love Thommo. A special player and person. Wish he could stay another season.

Love Thommo. A special player and person. Wish he could stay another season.

I love him too Brooke, but for 600k? Where we are at now?

There is surely enough MANLY in the roster, on the sidelines and returning almost weekly to bring the young guys through without spending 300k more for a backrower than we need to, even taking Thommo's best points into account.

I count 8 teams in the comp who could use a fullback of his quality (Bunnies, Storm, Eels, Dragons, Tigers, Cowboys, Titans and Panfers). Someone should give him what he wants to play where he wants.

TBH I can't see Souffs needing a fullback as Alex Johnston finally seems settled in the #1 jumper there. The Broncos on the other hand......

On Gutherson.....I honestly don't think he's worth what he's reportedly asking for. Talented player yes, but its a high price for someone who is one knee twisted slightly the wrong way from plunging into rugby league oblivion.

And if Thommo does go to the Super League next year, don't think that its going to leave us short changed for experienced forwards. Marty Taupau will be 30 next year, Siro turns 26 in a couple of months and Jake will be 26.

A players value comes down to how much a club is willing to pay. There are a number of factors at play here. 1. Whether the Eels resign Brad Arthur. 2. Whether they meet Gutho's request as to value of contract. 3. Whether they meet Gutho's expectation in relation to the length of the deal. On the basis of things that Gutho has said recently to the press Brad Arthur being resigned is an essential requirement.

You know the more I actually think about it I've gone from passing on Clint to making it happen. I just think of players like Blake Green on $600 odd K per year, Nikorima on $500...so for $650 odd its not too exorbitant relatively speaking. I just think a spine of Turbo, Clint, DCE and Fainu sounds so strong. Throw in the class of Marty, AFB, Jake and a bunch of hard working honest toilers and we're a genuine premiership threat. And yep, if Clint never reaches rep honours all the better for us for him to cover in Tommy's absences. In terms of Clints knees, well s*it can happen to anyone and apparently he's one of the fittest best trainers around so if anyone can have a long successful career after a few knee reco's it's him. Go Manly

Last edited:
You know the more I actually think about it I've gone from passing on Clint to making it happen. I just think of players like Blake Green on $600 odd K per year, Nikorima on $500...so for $650 odd its not too exorbitant relatively speaking. I just think a spine of Turbo, Clint, DCE and Fainu sounds so strong. Throw in the class of Marty, AFB, Jake and a bunch of hard working honest toilers and we're a genuine premiership threat. And yep, if Clint never reaches rep honours all the better for us for him to cover in Tommy's absences. In terms of Clints knees, well s*it can happen to anyone and apparently he's one of the fittest best trainers around so if anyone can have a long successful carrer after a few knee reco's it's him. Go Manly
Isn't he holding out for 750k and 4 years?

SMH is saying that Gutho wants a 4 year deal but the Squeels will not offer more than 3 and refuse to budge.

Maybe they are willing to let him go to have a crack at Latrell Mitchell ?

SMH article says the Parra offer is 3 x ~$600k, with year 4 being the only sticking point. Manly are said to be watching, with a view to Gutho playing 5/8, but have not tabled an offer while waiting for the Dylan Walker situation to resolve. This is the most complete recent summary of where things are at. You would presume that if Manly is interested, those numbers would be within striking distance.

Can anyone recall a more public negotiation? Don’t remember ever knowing dollars and years so precisely before.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ned
I honestly don’t think paying Gutho $750k on a 4 yr deal classifies as paying overs, considering he could potentially spend half the year covering for Turbo’s injuries at fullback. Snap him up...& pronto.

Even assuming Thompson and Walker are gone next year, my understanding is:

DCE: 1.3m
Tom: 900k
Jake: 700k
Marty: 600k
AFB: 500k (?)
Siro: 400k (?)

That is around $4.5m already. Some of these guys will need upgrading before too long as well. 24 other players have to fit into the remaining $5 million of salary cap space (an average of about 200k per player).

Elliott, Taufua, Api, Garrick, Fainu, Elgey and most of our bench forwards would not be on NRL minimum wage (~100k) either and some would command upgrades. Schuster surely wouldn't be on minimum wage if we can keep him.

So... is signing Gutho for 750k really a smart and logical choice?

Much to Gutho's frustration , I suspect. Who's leaking - his agent or the club? Based on their handling of the negotiations, seems more likely to be the club.

A real BK type in our rebuild and will always be Manly to me...

Spot on. You can see his confidence has increased in players like Parker, Funui, and Waddell. He’s starting to get the ball away more often to them, who in turn grow in confidence and respect for Thommo. No ones as good as BK, but Thommos certainly doing all the small things right on and off the field. He’s a must keep imo.

SMH article says the Parra offer is 3 x ~$600k, with year 4 being the only sticking point. Manly are said to be watching, with a view to Gutho playing 5/8, but have not tabled an offer while waiting for the Dylan Walker situation to resolve. This is the most complete recent summary of where things are at. You would presume that if Manly is interested, those numbers would be within striking distance.

If Walker is found guilty, Manly drop him & offer Gutho $550k per season for 4 years & let his manager sort put a TPP to top it up.

I'm sure he'd be happy with that, he gets to come home & play with his mates, he has his next 4 years secured & the profile he's built up from playing at Parra (King Gutho) should make picking up a TPP pretty easy.

If Walker is found guilty, Manly drop him & offer Gutho $550k per season for 4 years & let his manager sort put a TPP to top it up.

I'm sure he'd be happy with that, he gets to come home & play with his mates, he has his next 4 years secured & the profile he's built up from playing at Parra (King Gutho) should make picking up a TPP pretty easy.
Managers sorting out TPAs - that is funny

Even assuming Thompson and Walker are gone next year, my understanding is:

DCE: 1.3m
Tom: 900k
Jake: 700k
Marty: 600k
AFB: 500k (?)
Siro: 400k (?)

That is around $4.5m already. Some of these guys will need upgrading before too long as well. 24 other players have to fit into the remaining $5 million of salary cap space (an average of about 200k per player).

Elliott, Taufua, Api, Garrick, Fainu, Elgey and most of our bench forwards would not be on NRL minimum wage (~100k) either and some would command upgrades. Schuster surely wouldn't be on minimum wage if we can keep him.

So... is signing Gutho for 750k really a smart and logical choice?
Pretty sure DCE is 900k cap wise the rest is Foxtel TPA, someone correct me if I'm mistaken.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12