The boring non-Manly Final series 2018

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Andrew Johns post match interview asked Slater about the shoulder charge, Slater said, there was no malice in it.
So, there you have it. No need for the judiciary.
images

"It was one of those things where both players were running at speed to get to a position.

"It would have been an awkward place to place my head if I had to duck down. There was no malice in it, I don't think.'' :drunk:

Under the NRL rules, a shoulder charge constitutes a tackle that is forceful and where the player ''does not use or attempt to use his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player''. The match review committee will announce any charges on Saturday afternoon. A grade-one shoulder charge carries 200 points, which is the equivalent of two matches, but even with a guilty plea, Slater would still be facing at a one-match ban.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...g-grand-final-suspension-20180921-p505c2.html

Last edited:
4dca8375d6c49b2da0b9e2afd3416a41101bf03b

"It was one of those things where both players were running at speed to get to a position.

"It would have been an awkward place to place my head if I had to duck down. There was no malice in it, I don't think.'' :drunk:

Under the NRL rules, a shoulder charge constitutes a tackle that is forceful and where the player ''does not use or attempt to use his arms (including his hands) to tackle or otherwise take hold of the opposing player''. The match review committee will announce any charges on Saturday afternoon. A grade-one shoulder charge carries 200 points, which is the equivalent of two matches, but even with a guilty plea, Slater would still be facing at a one-match ban.

https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fr...g-grand-final-suspension-20180921-p505c2.html
I like where he goes on to explain that he thought Feki was going to step back inside as his excuse...which makes no sense at all. So what are you saying Billy? You ended up over the sideline at full speed and never looked like changing course. Obviously, Todd has called through an excuse for him at halftime... doesn’t matter that it defies logic.

I have not been watching any game since our boys bowed out and I get the scores from the Silvertails or the news .
The Storm 22- 6 win over the Sharks and into another grand final just typifies what a great coach Bellamy is and what a great culture and team he keeps building and to think our Manly team destroyed a champion storm side with a record grand final 40 - nil win just shows just how much greater we were at our peak .

Poor Billy. If the referees had sent him to the sin bin they could have said punishment sufficient. Of if they had sent him off for it he could have wiped enough suspension points off last night & played the grand final. Oh the joy, the joy, Will Robinson.

Its a stupid NRL rule anyway. This was never the sort of tackle or collision that the doctors were trying to get out of the game. Only the NRL decided any contact by a defender's shoulder was somehow a 'charge', even when the tackler was simply standing still bracing for impact and getting run over by the ball carrier.

And just to emphasise the NRL insanity, you can still do what Billy did anytime you want, so long as you're player holding the ball.

So in the NRL silly world the brain only needs protecting when its the ball carrier's brain.

Last edited:
SO, apparently Scam may retire after all now they’ve made a back to back GF.

I see a joint Clive Churchill medal winner ( has this ever happened ).

Judges will say “ we just can’t split Scam and Studs First , both best on field on the day so for the first time ever we are awarding joint winners”.

Oh think of the ratings, think of their value to future commentary teams, think of their immortal status awarded the same year.

OMG I’m so excited!!

Thankfully I'm away next Sunday night and won't be watching the 2018 Telstra Billy/Scam testimonial GFinal. Don't bother Easts or Souths this one is already engraved on the trophy. The nrl is truly a sham.

Thankfully I'm away next Sunday night and won't be watching the 2018 Telstra Billy/Scam testimonial GFinal. Don't bother Easts or Souths this one is already engraved on the trophy. The nrl is truly a sham.

And Scam / Studs First joint Clive Churchill medal winners!!

You can see it now!!!

Poor Billy. If the referees had sent him to the sin bin they could have said punishment sufficient. Of if they had sent him off for it he could have wiped enough suspension points off last night & played the grand final. Oh the joy, the joy, Will Robinson.

Its a stupid NRL rule anyway. This was never the sort of tackle or collision that the doctors were trying to get out of the game. Only the NRL decided any contact by a defender's shoulder was somehow a 'charge', even when the tackler was simply standing still bracing for impact and getting run over by the ball carrier.

And just to emphasise the NRL insanity, you can still do what Billy did anytime you want, so long as you're player holding the ball.

So in the NRL silly world the brain only needs protecting when its the ball carrier's brain.

The NRL made their bed and now they have to sleep in it.

The shoulder charge rule was introduced and then amended at the start of last year to make it pretty much watertight. So Saint Billy is painted into a corner - both through rules and precedence. And let's not forget that this illegal hit also busted Feki's AC joint and rubbed him out of the last 60 minutes of the game.

Or Slater could have just... you know... tackled him instead.

I saw the "tackle" for the first time this morning. I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. I do not have a problem with it. I don't think he should get rubbed out for that.

I think it was Rapana that got suspended for a shoulder charge last year, that Matt John's and co were laughing about, where he came off second best and went flying out of the tackle. I remember they were laughing about it being the worst attempt of a shoulder charge that had zero impact on the man carrying the ball yet he still got suspended.
There's no way they can let Billy off without bending the rules.

I saw the "tackle" for the first time this morning. I don't see what all the fuss is about tbh. I do not have a problem with it. I don't think he should get rubbed out for that.
That's how I feel about 95% of shoulder charges that players get suspended for. If it doesn't make contact with the head.....penalty and that's it.
BUT, Todd has made it clear over the last 3 or 4 years that it's a tackle that has to be dealt with severely and stamped out of the game. Player welfare, brain damage etc
So ever year we see players missing games for shoulder charges that wouldn't hurt a fly.
This zero tolerance stance that they've been taking has come back to hurt them now. Everyone's (allegedly ) favourite player will miss the grand final without divine intervention from Todd.
And if he does play then every player before the judiciary from now on will be using that tackle as their defence example.

I have not been watching any game since our boys bowed out and I get the scores from the Silvertails or the news .
The Storm 22- 6 win over the Sharks and into another grand final just typifies what a great coach Bellamy is and what a great culture and team he keeps building and to think our Manly team destroyed a champion storm side with a record grand final 40 - nil win just shows just how much greater we were at our peak .

That's a good point. Even though Sutton was giving the Drizzle an armchair ride with his refereeing, as much as I hate to say it they still did outplay the Sharks for the most part. As someone said earlier in this thread, it was us against the Drizzle in 2009 and 2012 all over again.

And you're also right in that despite their star studded, illegally put together team we still smashed them 40-0 in the biggest game of them all. It shows just how good we really were at our peak. A far cry from the past 3-4 years we've had to put up with. Our 2008 team, especially the form they were in during that Finals series, would absolutely destroy our current best side.

Last edited:
Slater had a ton of time to make a decision on what type of tackle he made.
A hit with the point of the shoulder and wrap should have been the only instinctive method a footballer would employ.
The only decision to make should've been where to make that impact.
What part of the body to hit.
But no.
He CHOSE the shoulder charge.

AFB got two weeks for a shoulder charge for standing his ground .... no charging involved, only from the attacker running into him ... Silly was definitely charging with the shoulder.... one rule for all !

IMG_2164.JPG

AFB got two weeks for a shoulder charge for standing his ground .... no charging involved, only from the attacker running into him ... Silly was definitely charging with the shoulder.... one rule for all !
I did not see the replay but I saw this article from NRL fox .
MELBOURNE superstar Billy Slater has landed himself in hot water after a shoulder charge on Sosaia Feki in Friday’s preliminary final against Cronulla.

Should Slater be charged after the Storm’s 22-6 win — even with a grade one offence which carries 200 points — he’ll likely be suspended for the decider unless he successfully challenges it.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10
9 4 5 -16 8