• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
I love having Marty and AFB in the middle... the best starting props in the game in my opinion.

I get a feeling that this whole discussion will be a moot point when Marty’s contract is up: there’s no way we will be able to match any offers from the Rorters.. or any other team that wants his services. We have a salary cap, and we can’t afford to get into a bidding war for a prop that I think will exceed the $1M/season mark.

Simply put, the Rorters can, and will, sign him for a number far higher than we can compete with, but with far less impact on their supposed salary cap. TPA’s, a Uncle Nic’s ****house putting game, and the fact that $1M is no big deal out of an apparently unending salary cap limit...

He’s gone when his contract is up here. Period.

The dilemma is that's quite a long expensive list of must keeps aswell as the young guns we wish to retain. I cant see ALL of those players being retained and still having good depth. We have seen this year that depth is important. Its not a matter of if we would like to keep him its a matter of should we. If we can juggle the cap and keep him im fine with that but we cant keep him at all costs. Out of all our big money players he is the one I would let go and the fact he is off contract makes it an easy decision. If Des wanted to re sign him then WHY hasn't he already done so? I'm Intrested to see how this plays out

Robbo you make some good points. My opinion is a personal one. I just think the two props we have at present are among the very best in the game. You need good go forward players if you are going to win a premiership. Think of Manly's premiership teams. They had top props. Hamilton-O'Neil, Ward-Daley, Harvey-Ian Thompson, Randal-Harvey, Gillespie-Carrol, Galovao-Kite. They were tough no nonsense go forward players and we needed them to win those premierships. Taupau and AFB are of that mould. They are your necessary props to build your forwards around. I'd ensure both stay.

i tend to think this might be a blake green kind of situation:
'hey we're going pretty good mostly, we don't need x/y player, how bout that green grass over the other side of the fence'
then we get rid of him and find that no amount of paseka/sipley/tanginoas gives us the same impact

we will miss him if he goes

i tend to think this might be a blake green kind of situation:
'hey we're going pretty good mostly, we don't need x/y player, how bout that green grass over the other side of the fence'
then we get rid of him and find that no amount of paseka/sipley/tanginoas gives us the same impact

we will miss him if he goes
Manly didn't get rid of Green, he walked with a year left on his contract for more monies :cool:

The market will determine who Manly can afford to keep :nerd:

Marty is on pretty decent money already at Manly and not taking into account this season "s apparent increased back ended amount so would not think that he would require that much more to stay at Manly if that would be his preference . If anything Jake and A F B would be more due for a slight upgrade on their present contracts based value and on current realities . Maybe it could be the case of Thomo moving on despite his undoubted good form and leadership qualities and guys like young Haumole [ who must be in the mix for i st grade soon ] Waddell and then young Schuster to come into back row starting contention . Think it going to be difficult to have Marty , AF B , Jake , Thomo and to a lesser extent Siro on high value contracts going forward and still maintaining a salary cap balance for the rest of the squad .

Saw him on with Fletch and Hindy Thursday night

Think we will be right in the hunt to keep him based on one of his comments. Was asked what the difference was this season and he said “Dessie, he has brought back what Manly means, and what Manly is”

Indicated to me that he wasn’t the happiest camper under Barrett but is enjoying what Des is bringing to the table this season

Is Taupau worth re signing next year? My opinion is that our money could be better spent elsewhere. It would free up alot of cap space to strengthen the squad as a whole. Before you disagree I am not asking if Taupau is one of the best props in the game, im asking with salary cap restraints are we better off freeing up a huge amount of space to buy a couple of marquee players in positions we need most. We have a squad that is due for ALOT of upgrades and retention of young superstars and its just not possible to keep them all as well as carry chez jake tom AFB and marty. Marty is the only one off contract so he is the obvious choice. Remember we don't live in a fantasy land where we can keep everyone aswell as recruit players and keep all our youngsters. Thats what a salary cap is there for and that's exactly why we need to be smart about our decisions moving forward.
Should we let Marty go?

In the words of the immortal Gus Gould...
No No No No No No No

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10