• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though
If he is on that 900k or whatever it is this season, all that’s means is that we have paid unders in years previous and this season brings the figure back up to the average, so I find that irrelevant

• Clever
Reactions: R3
Does that make you a numb nut?
Snake you dumb arse numb nut, I said I doubt meaning "I don't know" big difference than saying he is on 900-950k like you actually know for a fact. Where has that number come, someone has pulled that out there arse

If he is on that 900k or whatever it is this season, all that’s means is that we have paid unders in years previous and this season brings the figure back up to the average, so I find that irrelevant

Okay so if that is true, let's guesstimate a few salary cap values:

DCE: 1.3m
Tom: 900k
Marty: 900k
Jake: 700k
Walker: 600k
AFB: 500k

That is nearly $5 million invested in 6 players. That leaves 24 players to fit into the remaining $4.5 million of cap space. That is less than $200k per player when the NRL minimum wage increases to $110k next year.

How are we going to do it and end up with a winning squad that has decent depth?

I think that is Robbo's point.

I wouldn’t swap Marty for any prop in the NRL. When we get all our troops back he is going to provide a platform for DCE and Jake to work from. He will also provide heaps of second phase play, if he has players that are pushing up in support they will reap the benefits of team Kapow.

I believe Taupau's contract is 650k/ year.

The 850k bandied about stemmed last from a "journo" saying his contract is back-ended and his final year's portion is 850k. This is the first time I have seen 900k mentioned.

He is a top 5 prop in the world and misses VERY few games. He has been a bargain in performance and his impact on AFB's growth.

Sign him for another 3 years on 700 or 750k please.

There are certain essentials Manly must retain. They are Tom and Jake T, DCE, Sirro, AFB, Fainu and Taupau. They form the backbone of this side. Walker, Taufua, Waddell, Parker, Suli, Garrett and Elliott should be held onto. Cust I would also keep, maybe Croker for backup, Koroisau until Fainu has matured along with young pups, Albert Hoppa, Schuster, Ben T as well as a few other youngsters. But Taupau in my mind is a must, makes huge metres, great offloader, good defender. No way would I let him or the other book end AFB go.
Agree with this

I believe Taupau's contract is 650k/ year.

The 850k bandied about stemmed last from a "journo" saying his contract is back-ended and his final year's portion is 850k. This is the first time I have seen 900k mentioned.

He is a top 5 prop in the world and misses VERY few games. He has been a bargain in performance and his impact on AFB's growth.

Sign him for another 3 years on 700 or 750k please.
Thats the money i thought we signed him on around 650k for 4 years.

Props recently have been signed for that 700k like Boyle from Canberra and Paulo to Eels.Wouldn't put them near Marty's worth. Pangi jr wants close to a million WTF!?

Marty is worth around that 700k 100% would be crazy to let him go. Most of our attack comes from second phase

Okay so if that is true, let's guesstimate a few salary cap values:

DCE: 1.3m
Tom: 900k
Marty: 900k
Jake: 700k
Walker: 600k
AFB: 500k

That is nearly $5 million invested in 6 players. That leaves 24 players to fit into the remaining $4.5 million of cap space. That is less than $200k per player when the NRL minimum wage increases to $110k next year.

How are we going to do it and end up with a winning squad that has decent depth?

I think that is Robbo's point.

Then you also have to guess marquee player allowances, third party deals etc and until then the picture isn’t all that clear

I’d suggest most teams would have a core worth a big percentage of their salary cap. Roosters aren’t legal but Tedesco, Cronk, Keary. Mitchell, Crichton, Cordner, Friend just for a start, Souths Burgess, Cook, Reynolds, Roberts, Gagai etc

If we had 3 medium grade props pushing up behind our current crop, then Marty may be a luxury item.
But we don't.
We have AFB who is dominant but misses games at times.
Sipley who was showing potential but has just done his ACL so hopefully he comes back in top form but really that must have a question mark.
After that we have not one single established prop.
If we need to save money I'd be looking elsewhere.

We only have 2 first grade props right now, thankfully both can play big minutes.

we would need to get 2 good props in return for his coin to be worth it.

We only have 2 first grade props right now, thankfully both can play big minutes.

we would need to get 2 good props in return for his coin to be worth it.
and two good props are going to cost about 700k each anyway

no rep level prop is going to leave their current side to take unders - say 400k a year? Normally you need to pay MORE to entice a player to leave.

If we had 3 awesome young props coming through, yeah maybe. But we have none!

I don't think clubs look at it that way though.

They would be aiming to get the most out of players during their lower valued years and release them when their contracts are backended because at that point the player has ceased to become value for money.

Eg - imagine signing Taupau to a 4 year deal. His deal is $450, $550, $650 and $750 over the 4 years. AVG of $600.

But in year 4 you release him because he has been offered big money and you bring in another Taupau on the exact same deal.

You've gone from paying $750 to paying $450 for the exact same player in year 4. You've essentially improved your cap 'value for money' by $300k in year 4.

That's how I understand it though could be wrong.

Like I said earlier, Taupau is a great player and is arguably one of the best props in the game however that isn't the debate, the debate is whether he is value for money for Manly in his final years.

Think your dreaming, usually the club still has to pay a significant chunk of a players salary to another team if the players salary is back ended, usually because that club is desperate to release that player due to salary cap pressure. But no side would willingly pay 950k for Taupau a season i would think.

Think your dreaming, usually the club still has to pay a significant chunk of a players salary to another team if the players salary is back ended, usually because that club is desperate to release that player due to salary cap pressure. But no side would willingly pay 950k for Taupau a season i would think.

I think what he is trying to say mate is that the back-ending concept is used for a player whose value will grow during his contract period and the final year, maybe 2 years, payments will be approximately his new current value. The club can then offload them with a year to go or renew at his new current value. AFB would be a prime example of such a player.

You can't expect back-ending to work if you are buying a no value-growth player or paying overs for the whole contract period.

At least that's how I understand the back-ending concept.

I would imagine clubs would line up to sign Marty for 750 - 800k.

I find Marty somewhat frustrating - I always think he could be a level or two better than what he produces. Big unit, hard runner, can offload - but he struggles to combine those three things into an effective outcome on a consistent basis. Sometimes his offload for the sake of offloading does more harm than good, especially if we are setting up for a play and he then shovels one out the back to the hooker or half who then gets swamped and kills the next play dead.

Definitely worth hanging onto as long as it isn't for stupid money, if he wants stupid money then he needs to really start dominating games more consistently.

Snake you dumb arse numb nut, I said I doubt meaning "I don't know" big difference than saying he is on 900-950k like you actually know for a fact. Where has that number come, someone has pulled that out there arse
I'm only playing around...all good!

You really do love Marty though. Do you believe there are any weaknesses in his game?

I'm only playing around...all good!

You really do love Marty though. Do you believe there are any weaknesses in his game?

Haha - all good. Fu*k yeah he has weaknesses, but I do think he is a gun player and think we need him and AFB if we are going to be contenders. I do think a lot of the rubbish has gone out of his game though under Dez, doesn't give away anywhere near as many penalties and silly errors, and his second stints when he comes on can really lift the team, Fainu thrives with his second phase play, plus he gets quick play the balls and often stands in tackles holding off 3 defenders. I know he is really enjoying his footy this year, building a good bond with Donnie too. He is pretty fit this year

Setting up for a field goal I know who DCE would always want taking the hit up the play before.

I think our weakness is our bench. Would love paeska to reach his potential and sipley to go to another level, then we would be looking pretty good. Its hard to attract quality players without paying big money, but if you can hold onto 5 or 6 rep players then hopefully bring up some lesser known players who turn out to be real solid performers then you have a team that can challenge for the title

Its hard to attract quality players without paying big money, but if you can hold onto 5 or 6 rep players then hopefully bring up some lesser known players who turn out to be real solid performers then you have a team that can challenge for the title
This!

The fact that he is here already gives us an advantage and you are quite right, it is really hard to attract marquee players. Given we already have him, it probably makes sense to keep him.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
10 9 1 124 20
10 8 2 81 18
10 7 3 70 16
10 7 3 69 16
11 7 4 59 14
10 6 4 -10 14
11 6 5 107 12
11 6 5 -9 12
10 5 5 -56 12
11 5 5 30 11