Supposed "Crisis at Manly" Megathread

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
bones said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Love them all BUT not one player is bigger than the club, that's all!!

I love the club, BUT that doesn't mean they always make the right decisions.

Yes that too, we are all human and make some mistakes. The ramifications of not at least making an offer for Glenn have been far reaching and you can bet that's a decision they regret now.

But still, the club has been around since 1947, almost 70 years, it, and the players will survive this !!

COMMANDER said:
Not gonna be a good look for the troublemakers if the performance isn't good tomorrow.

Imagine the press if we were to get flogged 28-0, it would almost be a feeding frenzy.

KaZa said:
Choc is very replaceable. If he wants to go.. let him go. Otherwise he will keep talking to Wiedler.

Was driving and listening to Triple M around 2pm and they were speaking about Manly. Apparently there's been a media ban or something which is interesting because they mentioned Choc has a deal with Ch 9 and if he can't talk then how does he get paid. Explains all the Wiedler interviews...

Also talked about the fact the Warriors have to deny making an offer to Matai because it would be illegal, but if he did get a release he'd no doubt end up there.

Should've paid more attention sorry

I'm starting to lose the man love for these guys now..This is getting very annoying....
Players cannot tell the club which players to re sign. If Watmough leaves Manly now he will be a forgotten man once his contract expires. If he stays he will be retire a legend . I can't see What mouth involved in the media once he retires.
Matai can sign next year with Warriors and walk once his contract expires. .
Brett has been paid big bucks for the prior 3yrs for playing a only a handful of games. He is acting as if his brother is lost forever.. The facts are he can meet, hold hands or do whatever makes them happy for the rest of their life. They just need to play for a separate team for a few hours each week for the next 2years.
Manly resigned 3 young players as a result of releasing Glenn...... that good enough for me..

Such irony in this thread, on one hand people are bagging the media for reporting it and on the other they are swallowing it hook line and. Sinker!

I really hate the soap opera let's just watch the footy huh?

Bollocks - I take the players side every time. The management are parasites feeding off the talent of the players. They expect loyalty but give none in return.

bones said:
Mark from Brisbane said:
Love them all BUT not one player is bigger than the club, that's all!!

I love the club, BUT that doesn't mean they always make the right decisions.

Spot on. However I think in this case.. letting Glenn Stewart to sign Buhrer Symonds and Sene Lefao with the same money is probably the right thing to do. These senior players are all 29-31 years old.. they may have 1-2 years left. We cant afford to lose DCE Foran etc.

My concern is losing all these senior players but DCE isn't signing a new deal. That needs to happen ASAP.

Just read the new Danny Wiedler article. It looks like this was thrown together with a lot of haste as he is trying to dig up as much dirt as possible about Manly player disharmony.

Honestly, I don't know what to believe from what I read any more, but what I do know for sure is that the media are furiously trying to bring this team down, just at the time it has the chance to go 4 points ahead and make a dominant bid for the 2014 premiership.

Seriously, F### em.

NYEagle

Just enjoy the footy guys. Dont worry about this stuff. It'll all sort itself out. Wawrick found The Stewarts, Matai & many others, I'm sure he can uncover more if they leave (which I hope they don't).

If gifty is so embarrassed his name gets being dragged up, why doesn't he release a statement saying something like:

"Always sad to go, but will try my hardest when I get back on the field. To the remaining players, it's important to all pull together for this years premiership, and I certainly don't want any players leaving because of me. We can't say it's a business on one hand and cry about things on the other."

I keep hearing he is some inspirational off field leader - his silence is deafening.

He has had a multitude of chances to smooth any perceived rough water but has remained silent throughout. It's like he's in the background loving it, like Mr you know who.

Manly Sea Eagles board calls for calm amid continued infighting

July 26, 2014 - 10:00PM
Adrian Proszenko

Manly board spokesman Phil Sidney has called for calm between the warring factions at Brookvale, believing all the remaining key players can finish their careers at the club if they are prepared to work with management.

Last year's grand finalists continue to be torn apart by factionalism in the boardroom, a split between the playing group and a growing divide between the footballers and management.

Remarkably, they sit at the top of the NRL ladder and are favourites to go one better than their loss to the Roosters in last year's grand final.

The central issue remains the decision not to offer Glenn Stewart a contract for next year, after the veteran back-rower was instead forced to finish his career at South Sydney.

Months after signing that contract, residual anger is still festering in sections of the senior playing group.

Management had tried to scrape together a deal but were struggling to even come up with $150,000.

Knowing the offer would be considered an insulting one – and that the NRL would not register a representative player at that price – officials opted not to table anything.

The fallout continues. Steve Matai, Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough have made their displeasure known amid speculation they want to follow their close mate out of the northern beaches.

Matai is the only one to officially ask for a release, a request that has been denied.

Powerbrokers have been negotiating extensions with Matai and Watmough, while trying to heal a rift deepening rift between some established stars and halfback Daly Cherry-Evans.

"Everyone just needs to sit back and calm down," Sidney said. "It's time to stop negotiating in the media and sit down so we can go through a reasonable process. I'm reasonably confident that all of those guys, in their deepest of hearts, truly want to stay at Manly.

"Choc is Manly through and through, so is Brett. I know Steve loves the club and the area. They are upset, we all know that. We just need to sit down calmly with these guys to work out a deal that's suitable to them and suitable for the club.

"We need to get around the table and work out the best way to do things rather than having a go at one another publicly. Let's stop being antagonistic through the media and nut out a deal that is suitable for all parties."

Toovey fronted a board meeting at Narrabeen on Wednesday where directors unanimously backed two important resolutions. It was agreed that no player would be granted a release and that Toovey would be given total authority to deal with the situation, extending to sanctioning players who step out of line.

"Obviously I believe management is working in the best interests of the club," said Sidney, the boss of Manly co-owner Quantum.

"We all need to work together better. Players have to work together with management and respect it, so we can sit down in a civil manner. The players must also respect each other. We've got one of the best rosters in the league and at this point in time we are on top of the ladder. All the players have a role to play and they should understand the role of each other as well."

All of this has been transpiring amid a background of boardroom bickering.

It is understood Harry Cheung, the managing director of Manly's main sponsor Kaspersky, recently approached co-owner and chairman Scott Penn to ask whether he would be prepared to sell his stake in the club. Penn indicated he would not.

Such is the tension at the club that Toovey said the trip across the Tasman to play the Warriors this weekend was a welcome escape from the scrutiny at home.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/manly-sea-eagles-board-calls-for-calm-amid-continued-infighting-20140726-zx69d.html#ixzz38bha7X7z

Interesting that Mr Kaspersky wanst to become an actual owner :shy:

Future looking Maroon&White for years to come :)

Jerry1 said:
Bollocks - I take the players side every time. The management are parasites feeding off the talent of the players. They expect loyalty but give none in return.

Yeah unfortunately there's not an unlimited tap of money you can turn on to pay players.

If there was no salary cap there would be four teams in the NRL and Manly wouldn't be one of them.

Fans are loyal to clubs, not players.

Jerry1 said:

In fact not. The management need to orchestrate and manage the whole club today and in the future.

The individual players just need to worry about themselves. They get paid more than 99% of us could ever dream of making. I'm not saying they don't earn it. I would hate to be smashed week in week out like these blokes do. But they don't run the show.

As a teacher let me tell you....any kid that wants to challenge my authority soon finds out who's in charge. And it's not them.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8