South Sydney CEO calls for suburban footy to be axed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
NRL had a perfect opportunity today to put on a double header at ANZ with cheap tickets which should have included an easter show ticket or something in conjunction and as usual with no vision they put one game at SFS and one at ANZ. They could have near filled ANZ and had a wonderful atmosphere for these 2 games play one at 4pm and the other at 630pm and instead we will see 2 quater filled emotionless stadiums. There is still no vision and no leadership while ever they keep that goggle eyed lawyer in charge.

if anything the empty vibe at these big stadiums is a surefire sign we need more games at / upgrades to suburban grounds. and marketing / scheduling assistance from the NRL to help teams a bit in working on making punters regularly go to these suburban grounds.

Sure maybe have each team involved in a big double / triple header maybe twice a year in a big ground, but seriously how are rivalry's going to increase load in these empty shells, roosters v rabbits at SFS still would be half empty as it is now.

still it has to be a level playing field for all teams and not winding up with melbourne and brisbane and warriors getting 12 home games a year but sydney teams getting 6 home games and 6 home city games.

Plenty of good points on both sides of the argument.I agree with Garts and co that it will happen eventually so worth having the debate.Not sure if it has been mentioned as I havent read the whole thread but a way to partially solve the atmosphere and travel problem is to only have double headers with a split gate,mainly on Sunday arvos which makes travel easier and safer with kids.The exception for a standalone game would only be when it could be expected there would be a bumper crowd anyway.

Most punters would stay for both games and 30-40k would be very achieveable.Works well in Brissie for the Titans,Bulldogs,Manly,Brisbane round and the one offs at ANZ have been very successful.If you are going to do it it is ridiculous to play one game.

I think once people got used to it the attendances would build.Most suburban crowds are only half full anyway so the atmosphere is better but not incredibly better..We average about 13.5k in a 21k stadium,penrith and cronulla leass than that.I would be willing to bet we get less than 13k on Monday.Manly playing Parra with 35k at a double header at the SFS on a Sunday grabs me.

obviouly I didnt read the previous few threads.apologies.

another thing i dont really understand is (and they may already do this i don't know, but it doesnt look like it), but go through all the schools / community groups in the area, throughout the season, especially teams who play at ANZ / SFS.

players are already going to the schools so why not take a bucketload of tickets specifically for the areas that don't sell. sure not everyone will take up the offer, but i'm sure you'd get a decent amount, give them enough to cover their family, the kids will nag the parents to go, parents are then only forking out for travel and food, they get up in the usually empty section and if the kids enjoy themselves then they'll nag the folks to come back and 'can we sit there next time' and turn them into paying customers.

They could have an online system so the kids take a letter home, parents log onto ticketing and confirm their numbers, then you can measure the take up, plan your staff for how many will be in that area and maybe even send an injured or junior or ex player along to mingle with the kids in that section that would otherwise be empty.

kids are the future audience, so if you aren't getting it into them young how fun it can be at a game, then of course they are just going to grow up staying home watching on tv. It's how I got into it all anyway, but back then it didn't cost a small fortune to take the family out to the footy for the day. I know the clubs still have to make money, but what of the old 'you gotta spend some to make some' motto?

What would Souths know about getting corporates on board compared to us? :s Definitely agree about our results but weren't we the team that couldn't get a major sponsor.

So, if we move to a shared ground, how does that sit with a season ticketed holders? Will they be able to choose seats at a new stadium or share with a dogs fan?

I ask this, as a lot of people seem to like the double header idea? On this, yes there would be bigger crowds and more atmosphere, but at the end of the day, its still going to be the same number of fans that show to a suburban ground. So how does this benefit our club? I mean if there is no double header, how is 14,000 at Allianz better than 14,000 at Brookie?

Just asking, because if we did make more money for such a move then all be it, take it under consideration. I would hate it personally, as i see the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles as a team that should never have to leave its home.

Really, to move for a better place to take a piss, and have a better feed FMD. Can't we use some of the money, for, newer toilet blocks and some pie warmers and fridges?

If the bigger stadiums pay the teams to play there, how come the tickets are the same price as suburban grounds? I don't get that at all.

There's more to making a consistently successful football team than just playing out of a soulless 45 or 83 thousand seater. Just ask Shane Richardson.

When you've finished with him, then go ahead and ask David Perry.

DSM5 said:
If the bigger stadiums pay the teams to play there, how come the tickets are the same price as suburban grounds? I don't get that at all.

only way the numbers can add up is either government is topping it up or corporates, if its the latter then what happens to the Brookie corporates? Do we get 100K per game to play there for 12 games but lose $2 million in corporate so end up 800K out of pocket?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6