South Sydney CEO calls for suburban footy to be axed

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Transport is the key. The way i see it the govt may be better off spending on big transport projects rather than upgrading stadiums

Just have to take a step back and look at the big picture. Logisticly redfern park is probably best positioned for a massive upgrade to accomodate 50k and abort the SFS altogether, NSW planning is so ad hoc its a wonder they can hold any event

Someone with no emotion attached has to get in and think strategicly how RL will be showcased in the future as the current model is unsustainable

It's a dumb idea. Suburban stadiums give you a greater sense of enjoyment at games. Their atmosphere is SO much greater than that of a larger stadium.

As a Dogs supporter with our home at ANZ (at the moment), getting into the stadium it's excellent. Getting out of the carpark (because north west sydney has not rail infrastructure and therefore you have to drive), is beyond a joke.

Yes Shane I enjoy every minute of an an hour in the car getting out of the carpark after a game!!

Sure it could be done with a game on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon at eash stadium, but what happens when there is another event on at one of them?

About the only thing they need to improve at suburban stadiums, is the toilet blocks) as some are terrible. A fresh coat of paint and the odd maintenance and they are great.

I mean, how many games a year go over 20-30k crowds anyway?

In order to get an atmosphere at ANZ you need about 50k crowd else it's like a concrete prison. SFS you need about 25-30k for it to sound decent.

I can see some merits, but it's a dumb idea.

Hey Shane hows the rebuilding of the Leagues Club going? Oh that's right it's still partially uncomplete and the builder went belly up.

I think he has other things he should concentrate on.

MrInvisible said:
It's a dumb idea. Suburban stadiums give you a greater sense of enjoyment at games. Their atmosphere is SO much greater than that of a larger stadium.

As a Dogs supporter with our home at ANZ (at the moment), getting into the stadium it's excellent. Getting out of the carpark (because north west sydney has not rail infrastructure and therefore you have to drive), is beyond a joke.

Yes Shane I enjoy every minute of an an hour in the car getting out of the carpark after a game!!

Sure it could be done with a game on Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon at eash stadium, but what happens when there is another event on at one of them?

About the only thing they need to improve at suburban stadiums, is the toilet blocks) as some are terrible. A fresh coat of paint and the odd maintenance and they are great.

I mean, how many games a year go over 20-30k crowds anyway?

In order to get an atmosphere at ANZ you need about 50k crowd else it's like a concrete prison. SFS you need about 25-30k for it to sound decent.

I can see some merits, but it's a dumb idea.

Hey Shane hows the rebuilding of the Leagues Club going? Oh that's right it's still partially uncomplete and the builder went belly up.

I think he has other things he should concentrate on.
Pot calling the kettle black

What ever happened to the oasis project at Liverpool. Did it get completed ;)

Garts said:
As much as I dont like it he has a point. We cannot continue to play at Brookie for much longer. We either need to move or get the ground upgraded substantially. Why should either government throw millions of dollars at Brookie? Especially given the state of the economy and when there are 2 pretty good alternatives in Sydney already. Like I said, I do not like the idea of moving but it will happen.

Why throw millions at brookie?

because it would cost 10 fold to create a suitable public transport system that would b required to gets fans to the sfs

Who takes Shane Richardson seriously anyways?

The bloke is an A grade dribbler.
I can't for the life of me can think of any club he has left in a good state.

MissKate said:
Can richardson explain why he took a souffs game to gosford last year then. Does he actually think before he speaks, me thinks not

Plus taking a game each year over the last 4 seasons, to a suburban ground in Perth

Yeah doesn't work for me at all. Clubs like us , Penrith and Cronulla just as examples will struggle massively to get crowds to the venues mentioned.

They mention improving crowds is the aim when this will drive down crowds for quite a few clubs for alot of clubs and maybe wipe them out.

Maybe that's the plan???

Get over atmosphere and tradition, they are both bull**** and mean nothing.

Start a new tradition and move forward.

Yeah, I loved going to Brookvale and watching Eadie, Randall, and a 100 other great players, man I still love going there now but its had its day.

I love people complaining here apout transport issues such as parking and driving time. Hello its these exact issues that are killing the suburban grounds.

Part of the AFL success is the scheduling as well. More afternoon games and reasonable start times . Also the fact they control the scheduling

The reason lol@souths choose to play at ANZ stadium is because it's the only way they would ever get to play there.

Fluffy said:
Garts said:
As much as I dont like it he has a point. We cannot continue to play at Brookie for much longer. We either need to move or get the ground upgraded substantially. Why should either government throw millions of dollars at Brookie? Especially given the state of the economy and when there are 2 pretty good alternatives in Sydney already. Like I said, I do not like the idea of moving but it will happen.

because it would cost 10 fold to create a suitable public transport system that would b required to gets fans to the sfs

That is true. But should the government be basing decisions around 15,000 footy fans on where millions of dollars in funds are allocated. Especially when our health, transport and other systems are pretty ordinary?

I would love brookie to be upgraded but if I take off my Manly googles I can see that funds are better spend elsewhere that will benefit more people.

Garts said:
Fluffy said:
Garts said:

That is true. But should the government be basing decisions around 15,000 footy fans on where millions of dollars in funds are allocated. Especially when our health, transport and other systems are pretty ordinary?

I would love brookie to be upgraded but if I take off my Manly googles I can see that funds are better spend elsewhere that will benefit more people.

The allianz stadium sea eagles, no thanks we'll stay at brookie

We don't need to lose our soul

Garts said:
Fluffy said:
Garts said:

Whats more important. Health , education and transport for the state or the Manly Sea Eagles. Only one answer there Manly of course. Get used to it we have no decent health,education or transport facilities in QLD who needs them.

bob dylan said:

Yeah, I loved going to Brookvale and watching Eadie, Randall, and a 100 other great players, man I still love going there now but its had its day.

I love people complaining here apout transport issues such as parking and driving time. Hello its these exact issues that are killing the suburban grounds.
If you kill tradition, tribalism and passion you kill rugby league. You get to an artificial competition like cricket's Big Bash where players are purchased for one season and play under contrived marketing names that no-one really buys in to. Some people may turn up to watch good players, such as they did for imports like Chris Gayle, but the results were meaningless. They become exhibitions. It's the same for the City V Country matches. Who cares about the result? When you appreciate the reason for this apathy you'll also understand why suburban clubs and their grounds must survive.

The Who said:
bob dylan said:

If you kill tradition, tribalism and passion you kill rugby league. You get to an artificial competition like cricket's Big Bash where players are purchased for one season and play under contrived marketing names that no-one really buys in to. Some people may turn up to watch good players, such as they did for imports like Chris Gayle, but the results were meaningless. They become exhibitions. It's the same for the City V Country matches. Who cares about the result? When you appreciate the reason for this apathy you'll also understand why suburban clubs and their grounds must survive.

That is exactly right and make the souff's hypocrisy even more of a joke as they try and push the tradition, passion, tribalism card all the time. Geez at one stage they had a tribal drumming thing going instead of the cheer girls.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6