SOO 3, 2018 - The Resurgence of DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Awesome game from DCE tonight. I was shell-shocked. So happy for him. That will shut up the Queenslanders.

Why can't DCE play like this for Manly? Nearly every kick was on song. Great passing and running. And no negative play with not one kick out to the side line. Is Barrett the reason why DCE has been playing poorly for Manly? Hope DCE can bring this form back to Manly.

70% possession and an 8-3 penalty count certainly helped him, he played his part in that possession with nice kicking, but when he plays for Manly he never gets either of those, there were weeks early on, thinking of Tigers loss especially, when we had the ball 3-4 times in 20mins, and we hardly ever lead a penalty count

The Australian

JAKE TRBOJEVIC: The Blues’ best defender in the middle as he got through 69 minutes in his first stint as a starting Origin player. 8

TOM TRBOJEVIC: Got the Blues on the board with a length-of-the-field intercept try while the Blues were down to 12 men. Finished the game with 235m and five tackle busts. 8.5

DALY CHERRY-EVANS:Answered his critics with his best State of Origin performance. Scored a try, forced three line dropouts and should have had an assist for Slater with a kick in the opening minutes. 9

The Roar

Daly Cherry-Evans: 9 We still don’t know who DCE pissed off to get his name black-marked from Origin for the past few years, but on the back of this performance all should be forgiven. Flawless short and long kicking game all night from the Manly man who must be given the No.7 for the foreseeable future.

Daly-Cherry-Evans-1.jpg

Daly Cherry-Evans of Queensland (Photo by Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images)

2. Tom Trbojevic – 8
Trbojevic put in one of the best winger’s performances you are likely to see at this level. He scored the Blues first try on an intercept, but ended up with more than 230 metres, line breaks and a number of positive plays to his name.

Trbojevic has well and truly shown he belongs at his level.

15. Jake Trbojevic – 8
Given his first start this series, Trbojevic made a huge impact on the Blues. He never stopped trying, ending the game with 43 tackles and plenty of handy touches on the ball. It’s hard to see him not being in the Blues – and indeed Australian – number 13 jersey for most of the next decade.

The Australian

JAKE TRBOJEVIC: The Blues’ best defender in the middle as he got through 69 minutes in his first stint as a starting Origin player. 8

TOM TRBOJEVIC: Got the Blues on the board with a length-of-the-field intercept try while the Blues were down to 12 men. Finished the game with 235m and five tackle busts. 8.5

DALY CHERRY-EVANS:Answered his critics with his best State of Origin performance. Scored a try, forced three line dropouts and should have had an assist for Slater with a kick in the opening minutes. 9
More like it .

Nrl.com

Daly Cherry-Evans: Gave the Maroons the control and direction they'd been wanting. His kicking game tortured the Blues in the first half; sent a good pass to get Slater on outside for Holmes try then topped off a five-star performance with a try. One kick that went dead and strip of Mitchell his only negative plays. 9

2. Tom Trbojevic: Didn't get a look-in for 37 minutes, then pulled a rabbit out of the hat with a long-range intercept of his own. If he doesn't take that ball Queensland score again and have NSW well and truly on the ropes. Couldn't have done much more. 7.5

15. Jake Trbojevic: Started for the first time this series but still packed the same impact he's had from the bench. Tireless in defence with 44 tackles, and the Blues best under serious fire from the Maroons middles. 8

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/07/12...halfback-jersey-is-daly-cherry-evans-to-lose/

Walters says Maroons No.7 jersey is DCE's to lose
Author
Neil Cadigan
Timestamp
Thu 12 Jul 2018, 12:43 AM
After just one game back from interstate exile, the Maroons camp agreed that Daly Cherry-Evans belongs on the State of Origin stage.

After the 18-12 game three win,Queensland coach Kevin Walters and outgoing captain Billy Slater detailed how Cherry-Evans took ownership of the team from the day he went into camp for his first Origin appearance in four years.

"Daly was great tonight; he was in everything," enthused Walters.

"I'm really happy for him and I think that will put to bed now all those myths and all the talking about what sort of person he is and secondly that he wasn't welcome in the Queensland set-up.

"What is underestimated sometimes - and Billy pointed it out earlier in the week - is his toughness too. He's defended in the middle at Origin level and tonight he defended on the edge.

"We saw the real DCE stand up and he was in everything we were doing."

Walters says the Queensland No.7 jersey – worn almost exclusively by Johnathan Thurston or Cooper Cronk for a decade – is now Cherry-Evans' his to lose.

"He is a great position now and he would have to be doing not quite so well now to lose it, it's his."

Slater, after his 31st and last game for Queensland, was even more impressed.

"I was impressed with Daly Chery Evans coming into the side," he volunteered.

"He led us around all week. He learned the game plan, in his spare time he came up to a few of us and worked on our combinations. He wanted to understand the plays. I think that number seven jersey is his for a long time to come. He's very experienced now; he was very impressive."

The breakthrough in game three for Queensland is that the future now appears a lot clearer.

Ben Hunt had the game-management role in the first two games but came up a little short. But Hunt showed what impact he can make off the bench as hooker after relieving Andrew McCullough.

And Cameron Munster, on the left edge, is the perfect foil for Cherry-Evans. And although Slater is now a FOG [Former Origin Great], Kalyn Ponga steps into his shoes to complete a new spine that has shown it can function.

Walters says he may have found the perfect role for Hunt.

"He belongs in this arena, that's what we always knew as selectors," he said.

"It was finding the right role for him to play and tonight he showed how good he could be. He's dangerous, he's got a good kicking game, he's a tough little bugger and out of dummy half he can pick and chose when he runs. It suited him perfectly tonight.

And Munster fed off the authority.

"Over the series he's got better and is learning how dominant and how good he can be at this level," said Walters. "When he understands how good he can actually be he'll be an even better player at this level."

Munster could have dropped his bundle after throwing the intercept pass that gifted Tom Trbojevic a try in the 37th minute. He dropped his head as he headed back to the try line but showed his character to recover quickly after the break.

"It was great to see him [come back from the error]; that's Cameron Munster, he doesn't let things get to him," said Slater.

"It was good to see him not go into his shell. He fought back from that pass … and made the winning line break to seal the game for us."

I still can’t get over that Qld try in the right corner where Slater got all the plaudits and DCE was not even mentioned in the leadup work. Here is how the commentary goes a year before;

“now just watch Copper Cronk here. He has options to the left and right but has the presence of mind to see an emerging overlap, holds the pass a second putting the defence in 2 minds and then fires a brilliant cutout pass to Slater who just has to simply link with his outside backs to score in the corner. This is why Cronk is rated the greatest halfback in the game”

Slater getting MOM and player of series was the wrong call.

DCE should of got MOM and Cordner or tedesco player of the series.
DCE was good last night but I thought Munster was QLD's most dangerous and created most of their attacking opportunities.

Player of the series is a tough one. Cordner was solid, Tedesco had a quite Game 2. I thought Cook was really good for us, but once again not a lot of opportunities in Game 2. Maloney was a shoe in till his absolute disaster of a Game last night, talk about passion fingers. I thought NSW most consistent was Jake, he was great all 3 games and would have been my pick.

But it's fitting that Slater wins the Wally Lewis medal for just turning up, because that's all the King had to do to win the MOM in his day, regardless of whether he was best player or not.

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
9 8 1 116 18
9 7 2 72 16
9 7 2 49 16
9 6 3 57 14
10 6 4 115 12
10 6 4 58 12
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 4 5 19 10
10 5 5 -13 10