So much for dubbo. Racist riot in Manly

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
HUNDREDS of teenagers, some intoxicated, turned the Australia Day celebrations ugly yesterday as they stormed through The Corso causing chaos amid chants of ``Aussie Pride’’.
Youths damaged some stores, cars and a taxi, with one attack leaving a young girl cut by glass and in shock.
It is not known if the 18-year-old was specifically targeted because she was of Asian appearance.
Police played down any racial motives behind yesterday’s unruly behaviour.
At least a dozen teens jumped on the car in which the girl was a passenger outside Manly Council Chambers in The Corso.
The youths jumped on the car roof before punching through the windscreen, covering the terrified girl in shattered glass.
A Bacino Cafe staff member said the crowd of mostly young men was running through The Corso towards Manly Wharf every 20 minutes, shouting ``Aussie, Aussie, Aussie’’.
``They stopped the whole traffic, they were jumping over cars,’’ he said.
The crowd also ripped down awning signs from shops in The Corso.
Indira and Ziggie Jackman, of Manly, who were sitting outside the cafe, said: ``The girl was in the back passenger seat of the car.
``It happened just here, in front of our eyes.
``They were running up on top of the cars.’’
The 18-year-old, who suffered cuts, grazes and bleeding, said a large shard of glass embedded in her foot and her back when one of the men smashed the window.
``Two to three people came over the car,’’ she said. ``The glass window just came over my head.
``I had to shut my eyes because of the glass.’’
At least two other vehicles were targeted, including one taxi driven by a Sikh.
The rampaging teens also jumped on a police car and yelled ``f*** the pigs’’ as the police tried to intervene at the wharf.
Running up and down The Corso, hundreds of teens, many draped in Australian flags and covered in green and gold zinc like warpaint, shouted racial slurs and demanded girls take their tops off.
Some tried to pull bikinis off female friends.
What started off as chanting, quickly escalated to intimidatory behavour just before 2pm.
The youths came from across Sydney, including both western and southern areas as well as closer to home.
Manly Police called in the riot squad and Polair just before 3pm.
Some people, who said they were residents, yelled at police demanding to know why they weren’t doing more.
While some teens claimed the incident had nothing to do with race, a number of young men said they hoped the day would escalate into something like the racially-motivated Cronulla riots of 2005.
One 18-year-old man, who did not want to be identified, said a lot of people had been talking about coming down to Manly for Australia Day.
He said the day was to celebrate what it meant to be Australian.
``We’re celebrating we are Australian, f*** the ethnics,’’ the man said.
He said a number of the group were not Caucasian but had joined in to stop getting bashed.
Another group of teens spotted on the beach sported hand-drawn maps of Australia on their stomachs with the words: “f*** off we’re full’’.
Manly Police Commander Dave Darcy played down the drama. ``There are around 10,000 people in Manly having a wonderful time and what we have is about 80 young people who are intoxicated, who are acting anti-socially and inappropriately,’’ he said.
``And they are trying to spoil it for others but despite their efforts the overwhelming majority are having a good time.
``They have not been successful because there is a genuine good will towards everyone in Manly.’’
The youths were not from the local area, he said.
At publication time there had been a number of arrests, including one for assaulting police.

The video footage of these kids showed drunk kids carrying on and being out of control rather than any racist behaviour.  They were jumping off the wharf and then ran out of control through the Corso, being anti-authority.

Canteen Worker link said:
The video footage of these kids showed drunk kids carrying on and being out of control rather than any racist behaviour. 

These are the same ones that bailed an asian girl in her shop and chanted "Go Home" while draped in the australian flag!! thats not racist??

Seems to me that Australia Day has been hijacked by a minority of bogans who think putting an Australian Flag around their neck allows them to act in the most disgusting and feral ways and label it "celebrating our nation"

It's pretty clear that these days there is a very blurred line between patriotism and nationalism, to the detriment of the country.

Restauranters in the corso punching each other, Manly players accused of running amok at the surf rock and drunken bogans running amok.  Nothing unusual just another weekend on the northern beaches. 

There is no doubt that there is underlying racism in this country. Just look at the support Pauline gets every time she sticks her head up. I find these actions on the Corso absolutely disgusting. Without sounding really old fashioned what these kids probably need is a good belt around the ears by a local copper. I see a lot came from out west but these problems are evident regularly around Avalon and other areas of the northern beaches. Personally I would like to see as many as possible arrested, charged and shamed. I don't want to live where people are targeted in this way. Gutless morons.

It appears the nation hasn't come too far in 221 years.  When the first fleet landed they clebrated with a drunken orgy for 48 hours. 

"The youths came from across Sydney, including both western and southern areas"

Good to see to  the inbreds from Sutherland & parramatta still know how to use public transport, I guess on a day we commemerate the landing of convicts on our shore in 1788 it is appropriate a similar event happens when the criminals from another land are landed on manly off the ferry............ 

At leats they didn't go as far as throwing beer on the ceiling of the New brighton and kicking the juke box

It's still hard to fathom how such racism developed in those who still haven't sprouted pubes.

Those who experienced the migration explosion following both WW2 and the Vietnam war have their obvious, yet disgusting reasons, but as a "yoof" myself I don't get it?

Odds on that the majority of their parents/grandparents weren't born here either.

Easy Grugg, its the herd mentality, its easier to pick on the minority especaily if they look different.

Ask Hitlers cronies in the 30's or any number of examples before and since.

Kids make the best subjects, tell them the same thing often enough and they believe it, they haven't had enough life experience to work it out.

Nationalism is a dangerous tool handled wrongly.

Thats it Fro, it seems that Westie's have a deranged mix of Nationalism, "Us V Them" and the perfect role models around them.

The irony is that the majorty of the "ethnics" live West of the Corso, so you'd expect the Yoofs to be more tolerant than those of the Beaches

I would suggest jingoism is a lot more prevalent in mainstream media these days than it was even a few decades ago.

I reckon if you were to compare the over-the-top Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi coverage of the Beijing Olympics with the Seoul 88 coverage you'd be shocked.  The nationalism was a lot more understated back then. 

Manly Council and local police have their "heads in the sand" if they believe racism had nothing to do with angry scenes in the northern beaches suburb yesterday, an academic says.

Mayor Jean Hay and police commander Dave Darcy were today hosing down accusations that a group of about 80 drunk teenagers who ran chanting and yelling through the town centre wrapped in flags were targeting ethnic Australians.

But Manly resident Nina Burridge, who was at The Corso when the celebrations turned ugly and has studied ethno-cultural diversity in communities, said there was no question the youths' taunts and cheers were racially motivated.

"It was a mix of hoodlums who had obviously been drinking as well but, to me, there was also an underlying element of racism dressed up as nationalism," Dr Burridge, a senior lecturer at the University of Technology Sydney, said.

"When they were gathering on the [oceanside] beachfront, that's when they were screaming out 'If you're Aussie and you know it clap your hands' and 'If you're white and you know it clap your hands'."

Dr Burridge said an 18-year-old woman was traumatised when three teenagers jumped on the car she was in and smashed two windows.

The youths went on to jump over other cars and damage shop awnings as they ran through the area chanting "Aussie Aussie Aussie, oi oi oi" and "Aussie pride".

"When I was on the beach there was a bunch of them ... and these are teenagers -15, 16-year-olds - with slogans on their backs and postcodes with Penrith and Londonderry," she said.

Premier Nathan Rees today condemned the mob's "absolutely reprehensible" behaviour.

"To use an Australian symbol or the Australian flag to promote racism is to fail to understand what those symbols mean. This kind of bigoted behaviour has no place in NSW," Mr Rees said.

But Commander Darcy from Manly Local Area Command said the group, most of whom were not from the area, were no worse than a rowdy "old cricket crowd".

"To suggest that there were racial overtones there is, I think, way over the top," he said.

"I personally gave them a good looking over, just assessing them. There was an intensity there that no doubt would be confronting to some but at that stage they hadn't crossed the threshold of criminality."

Dr Burridge said northern beaches authorities needed to be proactive about preventing further ugly scenes and an incident similar to the Cronulla riots.

"If the Mayor of Manly Jean Hay and if the local police try and say there [was no racism involved] that's actually putting their heads in the sand," she said.

"They're downplaying the presence of some really ugly elements in there."

Cr Hay said it was unfortunate a small group of "morons" had to ruin the day for the estimated 10,000 people who celebrated in Manly.

Matabele link said:
I reckon if you were to compare the over-the-top Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi coverage of the Beijing Olympics

I went to several events there, mind you none of the "big ones" (Swimming,Athletics etc) and heard nothing. Mind you the Chinese loved it when I was draped in the flag, headband and after a million Tsing Tao's got up and started a rant - Mainly a drunken slur at how sh*t Graham Arnold is.

I lived Westish and there is plenty of racism out here - funnily enough a lot of those not born here are more racist than the rest. Talk of Fobs and Asians is bad.

However 20 years in one of our 'elite' schools taught me that the 'born to rule' from West of Dubbo are just as, if not more red-necked and racist than anything you ever see in Sydney.

The role of the media in all this is questionable. Are they morre jingoistic and is this matter being hyped up? Or are young kids just more out of control than ever before!!! Drunk kids, hyped up on a Ferry to Manly is an interesting recipe!

Gruggy link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=179074.msg205829#msg205829 date=1233033821]
I reckon if you were to compare the over-the-top Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi coverage of the Beijing Olympics

I went to several events there, mind you none of the "big ones" (Swimming,Athletics etc) and heard nothing. Mind you the Chinese loved it when I was draped in the flag, headband and after a million Tsing Tao's got up and started a rant - Mainly a drunken slur at how sh*t Graham Arnold is.

[/quote]  I'm talking about the TV coverage from Channel 7 back here.

Matabele link said:
I would suggest jingoism is a lot more prevalent in mainstream media these days than it was even a few decades ago.

I reckon if you were to compare the over-the-top Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie Oi Oi Oi coverage of the Beijing Olympics with the Seoul 88 coverage you'd be shocked.  The nationalism was a lot more understated back then. 

That would be because we won sweet FA medals in Seoul. We were an also ran in the medal tally back in those days (only 3 or 4 Golds from memory), so it's not like we had anything to get overly "nationalistic" about. Of course they are going to be more upbeat about our performance when we are at the pointy end of the medal tally, don't confuse this with jingoism.

racism is alive and well, but **** like this is nothing new in Manly.

It has to be one of the worst places in sydney to go out. In fact I pretty much flat refuse to go out there, at least when I lived there. I have a smart mouth but am not an aggressive or confrontational man, in fact in most places I go out I usually make a few new friends. Manly s one place I don't bother. I know a lot of people when I do go out and run into them there, but I just try not to bother, since 9 times out of 10 someone I know ends up getting in a dust up.

The place is, lets face it. A **** hole!

There are too many pubs/late night drinking holes at Manly.

When I was a young bloke all the pubs shut at mid night with the exception of the Hotel Manly (now demolished) - IMO there was a lot less trouble in those days due to the restricted opening hours.

Maybe they should reimlement to drive the hard core trouble makers elsewhere

The pubs should close at 1.00 am and then the pissheads who want to continue on should be sent by taxi bus to the cross like the old days. 

Is reimlement a new banking term wheel? 

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6